Next batch of Class 70's

It failed quite badly blocking the Chiltern Line at Widney Manor for four hours last week , Oil Contamination and Injector problems i was told , 66416 was the rescue loco.
And just to add to their woes a down freightliner failed at Little Bourton just north of Banbury early afternoon, same day. I think it was 66 566 I know it was only one digit away from 666 which I thought was appropriate. Edited by Eggesford box

• 2 weeks later...

And just to add to their woes a down freightliner failed at Little Bourton just north of Banbury early afternoon, same day. I think it was 66 566 I know it was only one digit away from 666 which I thought was appropriate.

Dont i just know it :O no sooner had the 66/4 hauled 70018 through Banbury we got Leamington Box inform us that the 66 had failed northbound, that was one of the days where you wish you didnt work on the railways!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A Class 70 (reported elsewhere to be 70018) is currently on fire near Winchester. Photos on BBC South Today just now show Fire Brigade in attendance and a lot of smoke coming from it, seems to be well alight...

According to Mrs SM46's Network Rail Blackberry

Train was 4O27, incident was on the Down line @ Wallers Ash. Assisting loco sent from Milbrook, train was on the move at 1835 arriving at Milbrook at 1915.

No cause yet identified but certainly a fire in the engine compartment fire, not the underframe.

• RMweb Gold

Probably a crew change and booked to come across to the platform, it seems odd but Romsey is also used as a crew change point! There might be a p-way patrol blocking the other platform line or some other technical reason that they needed to run it round there rather than the more obvious route.

A bit late I know, but on the 17th Feb I caught 70018 at Shawford working the Birch Coppice 'liner (it's "debut" run from the South I think?).

When it passed, there was a a fairly strong oil smell which lingered for a bit. It seemed more suited to a knackered 37! I though it a bit odd as the others I've caught there never emitted such a pong.

Andy.

Bit of a coincidence considering the incident with 70018.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Pictures appearing at work show just the centre section of the body burnt with the ends of the outer sections scorched too but not near the cabs, it doesn't appear to have got to the underframe.

Why has this not just been routed through the through road instead of the platform as you can see the back of the train the other end of the platforms?

Can confirm it was a crew change, no idea why it didnt go through platform 2 though. Some do... Other services used the straight line before and after..

A summary of recent posts about 70018

Did I hear that 70018 has some serious engine issues.??

18 is certainly in trouble at Eastleigh.

It failed quite badly blocking the Chiltern Line at Widney Manor for four hours last week , Oil Contamination and Injector problems i was told

70018 is back in service soon

So not a major disaster as was thought then.??

When it passed, there was a a fairly strong oil smell which lingered for a bit. It seemed more suited to a knackered 37! I though it a bit odd as the others I've caught there never emitted such a pong.

A Class 70 (reported elsewhere to be 70018) is currently on fire near Winchester. Photos on BBC South Today just now show Fire Brigade in attendance and a lot of smoke coming from it, seems to be well alight...

Damage is at the cooler group end, not much green left on the side at that end, it will need a bit more than a polish thats for sure.

Pictures appearing at work show just the centre section of the body burnt with the ends of the outer sections scorched too but not near the cabs, it doesn't appear to have got to the underframe.

_59523015_59523014.jpg

normal_Proof_P09C0056.jpg

normal_Proof_P09C0053.jpg

normal_Proof_P09C0052.jpg

normal_Proof_P09C0035.jpg

normal_Proof_P09C0039.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The latest two batches of locos have been put on hold (from traffic) - I assume pending checks, 70017, 019 and 020 are status "STOP", 018 is "OVER(HAUL)" (!), 013, 014, 015 and 016 are not active at the moment so may well assume the "STOP" status soon, or they may be being checked at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

What an expensive nightmare for FL, I bet DBS are feeling good about their super tugs at present...

Temporary hitch, I bet if DBS had been involved in commissioning the 60s they wouldn't feel so good.

All 70s back in service.

Pete - 18,19 and 20 have been around Southampton recently so most likely, if you want the correct numbers I can probably find out for you.

• Like 1

Temporary hitch, I bet if DBS had been involved in commissioning the 60s they wouldn't feel so good.

All 70s back in service.

Pete - 18,19 and 20 have been around Southampton recently so most likely, if you want the correct numbers I can probably find out for you.

That's not strictly correct is it Beast ?

Do you mean all back in service apart from the fire damaged one ?