Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to say:

Besides looking like French Adrian Helmet it also has the look of a Chivers Type 50 boiler steam collector cover. (Dome) Another Q6?

Yes, although I think it's an Alexander one, spare from 63340. 

Lots of little jobs to do but it will be 3443 - yes the same loco as it was at Newport shed in 1947.

Dome and cased safety valves trial fitted.

post-7104-0-59780700-1467751001_thumb.jpg

Hole in the boiler filled with plasticard and superglue, boiler top ridge and smokebox number removed.

post-7104-0-12553900-1467751006_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hold on. Am i missing something? Wasn't the boiler band spacing slightly different on the type 50 boiler?

(Shuffles off to start studying photographs)

P

They look close enough to me. the washout plugs need moving though.

• RMweb Premium

Hold on. Am i missing something? Wasn't the boiler band spacing slightly different on the type 50 boiler?

(Shuffles off to start studying photographs)

P

Yes they were.

ArthurK

• RMweb Gold

Back to the class Q, quite a bit of progress, the tender body is finished, brakes to add and the loco is getting close, I had fitted the lamp brackets but they were so weak they broke off with the slightest touch. 

post-7104-0-77351800-1468075224_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Not much more to do now, the last of the bits are now attached, next job is to study photos to see where and how lubricators are fitted.

post-7104-0-12303600-1468186691_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-19351500-1468186697_thumb.jpg

Every available space at the rear of the loco has been filled with lead, including under the cab roof. Luckily the motor sits quite low so there's a bit of room above for lead.

post-7104-0-91004900-1468186705_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Back to the class Q, quite a bit of progress, the tender body is finished, brakes to add and the loco is getting close, I had fitted the lamp brackets but they were so weak they broke off with the slightest touch.

attachicon.gifIMGP9492-001.JPG

Fantastic work again Paul but is that really the tender for that loco? ;-p

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work again Paul but is that really the tender for that loco? ;-p

Yes! These locos were paired with the NER standard 3940 gallon tenders. The two that lasted into BR (only just) ended there days with the smaller 3038 gallon tenders.

ArthurK

That D17 is looking very fine. I wonder if Arthur ................... No I think there is already one out there,

Just joking, Paul.

Regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Yes! These locos were paired with the NER standard 3940 gallon tenders. The two that lasted into BR (only just) ended there days with the smaller 3038 gallon tenders.

ArthurK

And lost the clerestory on their cabs to....

• RMweb Premium

To what?

The Clerestory roof was removed and replaced by a convention roof as on their counterparts the D17/1 (NER M class). The preserved loco 1621 was D17/1.

I saw both of the remaining pair of D17/2 at York around 1947/8. Both had been renumbered to 2111  & 2112.

Class Q1 (LNER D18) had a similar clerestory roof but they were both withdrawn in 1930.

ArthurK

• RMweb Premium

That D17 is looking very fine. I wonder if Arthur ................... No I think there is already one out there,

Just joking, Paul.

Regards

Mike

I have enough on my plate already with out adding more. And yes there is one out there by LRM. That is the one that Paul has built.

ArthurK

• Like 1

The Clerestory roof was removed and replaced by a convention roof as on their counterparts the D17/1 (NER M class). The preserved loco 1621 was D17/1.

I saw both of the remaining pair of D17/2 at York around 1947/8. Both had been renumbered to 2111  & 2112.

Class Q1 (LNER D18) had a similar clerestory roof but they were both withdrawn in 1930.

ArthurK

Thank you for clarification of the factual matter, although I think perhaps that in hindsight my attempt to make a comic "point" in the original question was too subtle. Maybe I should just have appealed for an extra "o" to complete the preceding post?

Very nice Paul, just looks the business. I have some really good paint to complete it, if you are interested.

Derek

I wonder what colour that paint is ?  :scratchhead: :O