SLEP: 10532,10594,10601

BFO: 17173,17175

RFMB: 10210,10225

Blue:

SLEP: 10534,10563,10589,10590,10612,10616,10584

BFO: 17174

RFMB: 10232

TFOD: 12100,12161.

The 2 "new" vehicles, a SLEP and a TFOD are now in green, not Brown and will be the first with new interiors. Due so long ago we have forgotten their numbers !

Edited by Chy Mengrowyn Paul

Why on earth are the power cars on low loaders going by road.?

I was under the impression that trains were meant to travel on railway track.

Keith.

Rhetorical question?   :jester:

Cost, dear boy.  Simple as that.

Too expensive to operate a light engine movement. One of the marvels of the modern railway

Hire of traincrew with route and traction knowledge.

Fuel.

Path.

Additional time out of service.

Risk of missed path and rescheduling.

• RMweb Gold

Hire of traincrew with route and traction knowledge.

Fuel.

Path.

Additional time out of service.

Risk of missed path and rescheduling.

And the need for a barrier coach of a particular type.  Dead easy to move HST power cars in coupled back-to-back pairs, not so easy for singletons without breaking the Rules.

Hire of traincrew with route and traction knowledge.      There's probably more than enough standing around already!

Fuel.                                                                                 Get a 10 litre can at you local Shell station

Path.                                                                                 When the green light shines - go!

Additional time out of service.                                          Probably spends enough time OS as it is.

Risk of missed path and rescheduling.                            Just get in front of the other one.

Just kidding!  Although it does seem a bit of a performance besides how much does it cost to be transported?  Probably a tidy sum!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Why on earth are the power cars on low loaders going by road.?

I was under the impression that trains were meant to travel on railway track.

Keith.

And what message does that send to every road user who sees one in transit?  "Oh look - another broken down train"

It's one thing to shift shunters by road (it's rather faster than their permitted 20mph main line speed) and there's curiosity value ("oh look ...... a steam train ") as well as expediency in trucking steam locos.  

I acknowledge the realities of the railway in 2015 but with a whole fleet to re-livery surely it's not beyond the realm of possibility to work them in pairs by rail???  And the costs should be factored into the equation before a rebranding exercise even gets off the drawing board.

My thoughts.....

Hire of traincrew with route and traction knowledge.  HST's have ran through Derby since the early 1980's so someone must know how to drive/route
Fuel.  See below but trivial relatively for FGW
Path. Is the line that busy - why not travel outside busy times if a problem
Additional time out of service. ??? with traffic queues on the M5/M6/ARoads it would be quicker by rail
Risk of missed path and rescheduling. It's been at Derby for a while - even if delayed - is a few hours going to make a difference

I appreciate 2015 is almost a different world in terms of railways BUT......

Also I can understand a private owner of say one loco using a lorry if cheaper but to FGW a company with income into the £m's each day are they that bothered about 'saving'??? a few quid on diesel when they must spend literally £'000's fuelling up their HST fleet every day.

....to FGW a company with income into the £m's each day are they that bothered about 'saving'??? a few quid on diesel when they must spend literally £'000's fuelling up their HST fleet every day.

If I was a First shareholder, a financial lender to the company or a senior executive, I would be very "bothered" if they weren't "bothering" about their costs.

From a railway perspective, it is neither crazy or not crazy to move these locos by road, rather than rail.

It's down to the commercial judgement and priorities of the companies concerned how they wish to carry out this task.

Any negative impact on the highways, its users and any affected local communities, would be another matter.

• RMweb Premium

And the need for a barrier coach of a particular type.  Dead easy to move HST power cars in coupled back-to-back pairs, not so easy for singletons without breaking the Rules.

In this case at least, 43188 and then 43187 followed each other within about 24 hours. Running back-to-back together in this case would surely have made more sense. Just think of the field day the Press could have had at GWR's expense if the lorry had broken down on the motorway.