Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

I wonder if it is still sound fitted in the tender (like the original one was)....

Stewart

Ahhhh - the good old days of analogue sound - synchronised with speed to boot!

I must admit mine had the bits bent away from each other to silence the "childish" effect...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the bogie and driving wheel bosses are correct in the LNER green livery. I have been looking at photo's in Google, and the RCTS 'green' book, and several other places, plus the lovely Hornby Class B17, and they all suggest that those bosses should really have a solid black centre, with a thin white line around it, not as on the preserved B12/3, which Hornby have worked from. It was the LNER painting schedue for LNER green liveried engines that they were so treated.  I hope I have this wrong - if right, it can, of course, be corrected with paint, and or transfers.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the bogie and driving wheel bosses are correct in the LNER green livery. I have been looking at photo's in Google, and the RCTS 'green' book, and several other places, plus the lovely Hornby Class B17, and they all suggest that those bosses should really have a solid black centre, with a thin white line around it, not as on the preserved B12/3, which Hornby have worked from. It was the LNER painting schedue for LNER green liveried engines that they were so treated.  I hope I have this wrong - if right, it can, of course, be corrected with paint, and or transfers.

Regards,

Rob.

Good point, the preserved engine seems to be incorrect in this respect!   Hornby have got it right on 'Claud Hamilton' ....

• RMweb Premium

These look terrific. Even though I have no interest in the LNER I plan to buy one of these partly because the real loco was such a wonderfully elegant machine and partly because I have such happy memories of the old Hornby model. They look to have done a fantastic job, well done Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

The pictures of B12s in RCTS part 2B suggest that LNER livery may have been inconsistent in this respect. The picture of 8573 at Cromer in 1934 in the condition modelled by Hornby appears to show green axle ends and wheel bosses, but it is possible this effect is created by weathering and the vagaries of black and white photography. Other pictures show both black and green axle ends.

In that book I repetitively recommend 'The Big Four in Colour 1935 - 50' there is B12/3 8537 in 1939 with green axle ends (Colour Rail NE112). Also green axle ends on D16/3 8900 in 1936, (NE128) so I suspect it may have been a Stratford thing. There are further colour photos showing green axle ends on LNER liveried B12s in various states, NE35 for a start, so it is a definite happening.

The decoration on the wheel bosses pales into insignificance when the actual wheel centers are looked at. They are flat when they should be pronounced. Also the spokes should flare into the boss. The sculptured wheels were a feature of the B12's, in fact I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Without them the B12 is a okay model but flat profile wheels are not in keeping with the detail we expect these days. It is entirely possible Hornby has used its existing stock of wheels. Alan Harris turned 0 gauge modellers on to correct wheel and spoke profiles 40 odd years ago. Markits produces a decent bogie wheel with a large boss and any modeller that fits this type will see an immediate improvement in appearance at the front end.

Edited by coachmann

The decoration on the wheel bosses pales into insignificance when the actual wheel centers are looked at. They are flat when they should be pronounced. Also the spokes should flare into the boss. The sculptured wheels were a feature of the B12's, in fact I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Without them the B12 is a okay model but flat profile wheels are not in keeping with the detail we expect these days. It is entirely possible Hornby has used its existing stock of wheels. Alan Harris turned 0 gauge modellers on to correct wheel and spoke profiles 40 odd years ago. Markits produces a decent bogie wheel with a large boss and any modeller that fits this type will see an immediate improvement in appearance at the front end.

A point that Tony Wright makes in his thread week after week.

Bernard

The decoration on the wheel bosses pales into insignificance when the actual wheel centers are looked at. They are flat when they should be pronounced. Also the spokes should flare into the boss. The sculptured wheels were a feature of the B12's, in fact I mentioned it earlier in the thread...

A fall off in standards if that proves to be the case on the released models. I think Hornby first got to around to reproducing this feature on their Castle, and it is present on the D16/3 wheels, much to the adantage of both these models.

• RMweb Premium

The sample shown my not be on the wheels which will be under the finished model .....

I really hope that's the case. 

As I happen to be on holiday in Norfolk I had a close look at the real thing today at Sheringham and the wheel centres and flared spokes were even more pronounced than I had first appreciated.

It's not really my region but I would still quite like this model, however If it needs re-wheeling I won't be buying one.

Graham

The sample shown my not be on the wheels which will be under the finished model .....

Very true and I wouldn't have mentioned it for a second time had I not looked at the email Hornby circulated yesterday. In it, the words and images give the impression the model is finalized. Fingers crossed of course.

Disregarding the spokes/wheelbosses controversy, R3431 (BR Black, EC) has appeared on the Hornby website "Coming Soon" ( http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/coming-soon.html ) page.  Mid-November is soon?  Its almost Christmas!!!

gibber  :jester:

Haven't you got your tinsel and baubles up yet. In lovely Terry Wogan fashion, I've had the brussels cooking for 3 months already - yummy.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 2

Haven't you got your tinsel and baubles up yet. In lovely Terry Wogan fashion, I've had the brussels cooking for 3 months already - yummy.

Ohhhh - properly cooked sprouts!  None ot this "al dente" lark - a well cooked sprout should be like "a little ball of pus", and treated accordingly!

Correctly speaking tinsel and baubles should go up the day after Bonfire Night, especially when you're putting on an external display that could power the whole neighberhood. I also find that it pays to use an artificial tree until at least mid-December, otherwise you'll have to swap the tree a couple of times to avoid a modernistic "bare twig" effect.....

I think I'll temporarily decorate my B12 too, if it arrives as advertised, and give the Santa Express a run for its money!

Edited by Hroth

post-12412-0-74411300-1476569230_thumb.jpg

As the person who did the research for the preserved B12's LNER livery I can confirm that the green wheelcentres are absolutely correct as shown in these 1930s photos. It was a Stratford speciality to paint these green where other works painted them black. Russ P earlier in this thread is correct in that when it was first returned to the UK in 1994 it did have the wheel centres incorrectly painted black by the contractors but they were quickly corrected. Having seen the Hornby livery samples my main criticism would be that the front bufferbeam lettering should be vertically central on the bufferbeam, whereas Hornby seem to have it positioned int he lower half.

Steve 

Edited by Steve51769
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting Steve, thanks for pointing out and posting the pictures.  I know there were differences in painting practices between the various LNER Works, but hadn't spotted that one before - being more familiar I suppose with the products of Doncaster, I must have just 'assumed' that the wheel centres would be black!