Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

Just read the review in Hornby Magazine and watched the video posted by BR(S) above.  I therefore fear I will not be able to resist purchasing an early emblem sample. Did they ever run on excursions into the North Eastern region in early BR days? (he said to himself trying desparately to justify the impending likely purchase).

Edited by Brian D
  • Like 1

Just read the review in Hornby Magazine and watched the video posted by BR(S) above.  I therefore fear I will not be able to resist purchasing an early emblem sample. Did they ever run on excursions into the North Eastern region in early BR days? (he said to himself trying desparately to justify the impending likely purchase).

Brian,

Several B12s were shedded at Grantham in the early 1950s, essentially for secondary services to Nottingham. However, at weekends in the summer, they were often used on excursion traffic and thus found themselves at Scarborough and other N.E. holiday destinations.

Hope this helps you sleep better,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Guest Midland Mole

Easier than me trying to justify one appearing at Worcester! :D

(but trust me, I AM going to justify it somehow!) ;)

- Alex

• Like 3

Not that it helps with your early BR period, but the late emblem version that Hornby is producing is one of those that was shedded at Grantham...

www.brdatabase.com is your friend for helping answer such questions. You can look up the allocations at sheds as well as collective and individual locomotive class details and histories.

• Like 1

An email from Hattons this afternoon to state the RRP of the B12 has been increased to £159.99 (let's call it £160, shall we?). Ouch. Hattons' discounted price is increased to £143.99.

But the email also states that they're honouring their pre-increase price - which was £123 - for all pre-orders placed before the increase. Which is jolly nice of them and has saved me a pretty packet.

Paul

• Like 2

Got the Hattons email too. I read the "increase in retail price" bit with my heart in my mouth, followed by a sigh of relief for the "sticking to preordered prices" follow on.

All I now want is for Hornby to get my R3430 to Hattons ASAP, or even sooner!

Guest Midland Mole

Well that will teach me.....

:banghead:

Next time, I should preorder things I really want

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

I did, on the Bachmann E4. Hattons promptly bumped the price up, and didn't honour the pre-order price. Seems I can't win.

Same thing happened to me earlier this year, so I decided not to do preorders again, til I saw the Peckett was rapidly selling out, even on preorders - so I bit the bullet on that one and preordered it! - but as a rule I'm not ordering til I see the goods for real and see what feedback models get on RMWeb before splashing the cash even if that means paying a few more sponds...

cheers,

Keith

I did, on the Bachmann E4. Hattons promptly bumped the price up, and didn't honour the pre-order price. Seems I can't win.

To be fair I think Bachmann have a habit of withdrawing the item if it is likely to take much longer than originally stated to come to market. When they do this then of course the item no longer has a RRP and so a discount price cannot be calculated. With a straight forward case such as this price increase Hattons are being very good. I had not ordered a B12 but when I saw the Hornby announcement I banged in an order proto at the original price. I too have an email stating that they will honour this price. People were told and it is only their fault if they missed the boat. With short runs and ever increasing prices I can see pre order being essential to get a model you really want.

Bernard

We're still at the old price here...! ;)

And as a result, you've just gained a new customer! Yes, it's not strictly part of my modelling area, but the LNER loco is looking just superb! I can always make an excuse of an excursion to the NE region for it to mix itself with my growing collection of York and further North based locos and stock!

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...