Heaton Lodge Junction

I’ve looked into the Dept store idea in depth,    the issue is the landlords who are difficult to even communicate with, don’t like the idea of 1000’s of people traipsing through their property & aren’t keen on the short term ness of it all.

Also to be honest I need to make the next exhibition much larger with way more layouts & the trade. I’m pretty sure the latter are all on board which is great.
 It’s finding a venue that’s not massively expensive, good transport links and big. 

I always aimed to do just HLJ on its own initially so I could bank on the attendance from Wakefield being roughly replicated elsewhere. Then if I add many more layouts /trade the numbers will surely only increase.

It may end up being a more traditional exhibition with a few tweaks and HLJ as one of the main attractions who knows.

I’ll have something buttoned down next month I think 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

That one is now an M&S.

Have to admit it has been some months since I last went to Tamworth, in fact in the past the only reason I went to Tamworth was to visit John Lewis.

Pity because it would have been a good central location for East & West Midlands 

Thinking hat back on.

Terry 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It would be absolutely fantastic to get Heaton Lodge + guests into the old Brunel train shed at Bristol Temple Meads.  Tim Dunn just tweeted that it's had a clear out, but no idea if it will be available to hire at all.

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1476965218739703810?t=eUtQbFMiKddWrX-ZHHuDNQ&s=19

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Brunel train shed at Bristol Temple Meads.  Tim Dunn just tweeted that it's had a clear out

That's good news Rich thank you for the post.

I don't do Twotter etc so your post is useful info.

ATB + HNY 

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

That's good news Rich thank you for the post.

I don't do Twotter etc so your post is useful info.

ATB + HNY 

G

Those not on Twitter.

7D6F944D-41FB-462A-9971-63EC6B5B0A6C.jpeg.bc05a5f381c7d546f0142c97f5cf4038.jpeg

Would be spot on! 

“& upstairs, a peek into Brunel’s vast old trainshed, currently closed pending surveys & conservation work. Following recent reacquisition by @networkrail, finally this remarkable structure -an experimental machine almost as much as architecture - may get the attention it needs.”

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

It would be absolutely fantastic to get Heaton Lodge + guests into the old Brunel train shed at Bristol Temple Meads.  Tim Dunn just tweeted that it's had a clear out, but no idea if it will be available to hire at all.

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1476965218739703810?t=eUtQbFMiKddWrX-ZHHuDNQ&s=19

I’ve been talking to the owners. It’s under renovation and not available until 2023 unfortunately 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, Kris said:

Bristol University may have somewhere that offers the appropriate amount of space. 

That is a good shout.  It is a shame UWE are reconfiguring the space that used to be used for the O gauge show.

• Agree 4

Have you thought of contacting the local BIDs (Business Improvement District)? There is one in Bristol and there is one for most reasonable sized towns. What you are doing is not quite what they were set up for but the people running BIDs are usually go ahead sort of people who want to bring visitors and attention to their area. These organisations tend to have a good knowledge of what is available in their area and have lots of contacts within local businesses. They might not be able to help but it could be worth an email.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Chris M said:

Have you thought of contacting the local BIDs (Business Improvement District)? There is one in Bristol and there is one for most reasonable sized towns. What you are doing is not quite what they were set up for but the people running BIDs are usually go ahead sort of people who want to bring visitors and attention to their area. These organisations tend to have a good knowledge of what is available in their area and have lots of contacts within local businesses. They might not be able to help but it could be worth an email.

Thanks Chris great idea. 
I was working with BID in Wakefield for the exhibition there as they helped me promote it, so I’ll ask for their contact in Bristol.

Thanks again  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m even mulling over adding a new section going forward with 3 giant cooling towers (these would have to be at least 3 metres high) and a working MGR unloading facility. To make room for this I’d have to use the idea of building onto trolleys which roll up to the side of the layout. Couple of years away this to be honest ..

That would be truly spectacular! Now you've said it I can't un-see it...

The trolley below the cooling towers could contain a theatrical fog machine for when the power station is operating?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I used cork granules for ballast on my G scale layout so that I’ll be able to lift the boards without a crane.  Might be worth considering.  I got mine from Charles Cantrell (no connection), they currently have small grey granules for sale.

As cork floats on watered down pva, I first put a bead of undiluted pva where the outside of the ballast woud be, then pressed some granules into it. Once this has dried, it acts as a dam for the rest of the cork ballast which can then be applied in the usual way. While I used 5mm granules, you can get 1mm granules which would probably be OK for 0 gauge.

0DE95484-576C-4277-ADE0-56F1011E99E1.jpeg.9caf8d4cec73c5f72763b15106047737.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

This will be the fictitious area of the layout and not to be confused with a slice of Healey Mills to the east of it.

Ah, I'd wondered about that. Sounds good.

1 hour ago, Crepello said:

Drax chimney too please! I make that almost 6m high in O gauge!

I’ve been giving this idea a lot of thought.

It’s finding a material that can be made into the basic cooling tower shape, is light enough for two people to carry and stays in shape and doesn’t bow.
Possibly aluminium sheet? Not sure. 
6m is a tad high but 3m high is doable I think. 

These basic MPD sheds are big enough and I’ve a load more to build yet.!

Going to add drainpipes, change the roof structure to corrugated iron, ladders and air conditioning units for starters. 

63353026-975F-4DB2-A3BC-E098E8F3275B.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 14

38 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’ve been giving this idea a lot of thought.

It’s finding a material that can be made into the basic cooling tower shape, is light enough for two people to carry and stays in shape and doesn’t bow.
Possibly aluminium sheet? Not sure. 
6m is a tad high but 3m high is doable I think. 

These basic MPD sheds are big enough and I’ve a load more to build yet.!

Going to add drainpipes, change the roof structure to corrugated iron, ladders and air conditioning units for starters. 

63353026-975F-4DB2-A3BC-E098E8F3275B.jpeg

Can you make them out of foam?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1