Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

One feature I dislike about the H is that the front pair of drivers always just clear the rail head. So I took an H apart.

Running the chassis alone reviled another surprise, the bogie being lifted clear of the track!

So I unscrewed that, added a thin sprung washer and set the screw so that it has more down play. Bingo, all 8 wheels are on the rail.

I find it curious that the front half of the boiler is a separate part and in plastic, I wonder if they initially intended for it to be Diecast?

Edit: minor corrections

Edited by JSpencer

One feature I dislike about the H is that the front pair of drivers always just clear the rail head. So I took an H apart.

Running the chassis alone reviled another surprise, the pony being lifted clear of the track!

So I unscrewed that, added a thin sprung washer and set the screw so that it has more down play. Bingo, all 8 wheels are on the rail.

I find it furious that the front half of the boiler is a separate part and in plastic, I wonder if they initially intended for it to be Diecast?

Could of been, or maybe it's been made that way for a future model... the H and O1 share the same boiler.. or maybe I am reading too much in to that fact...

Could of been, or maybe it's been made that way for a future model... the H and O1 share the same boiler.. or maybe I am reading too much in to that fact...

The H, O1 and R1 share the same boiler, however the O1 had 2 very different styles of sandboxes, one style like an H, another like an R1 being above the running plate next to the smokebox.

The H, O1 and R1 share the same boiler, however the O1 had 2 very different styles of sandboxes, one style like an H, another like an R1 being above the running plate next to the smokebox.

You'll find that the R1 0-6-0Ts also had alternative sandbox positions ................ and, of course, the same boiler was used in the Q1, R & R1 0-4-4Ts and B1 & F1 4-4-0s - though I doubt if Hornby will tackle many of these in my lifetime ! 

I would have thought a R1 0-6-0T would be more likely than any of the others. 

There aren't that many Southern shunting locomotives and Hattons have beaten them to the P. It also has history as Hornby Dublo did one back in the day. I'm not expecting one immediately, but I reckon it must be somewhere in the queue for a future model. Probably when someone starts building the SE Finecast kit.

Jason

I would have thought a R1 0-6-0T would be more likely than any of the others. 

There aren't that many Southern shunting locomotives and Hattons have beaten them to the P. It also has history as Hornby Dublo did one back in the day. I'm not expecting one immediately, but I reckon it must be somewhere in the queue for a future model. Probably when someone starts building the SE Finecast kit.

Jason

With Stirling cab and short chimney options please.

• RMweb Gold

Also the bogie pickups don't seem to touch the wheels unless that's been attended to...

Mine is certainly a capricious runner. Set up on the rolling road she works reasonably well, but on the track it’s very stop-start-stop unless a certain speed is maintained. Yes, I use DCC, but other locos are quite happy.

Mine is certainly a capricious runner. Set up on the rolling road she works reasonably well, but on the track it’s very stop-start-stop unless a certain speed is maintained. Yes, I use DCC, but other locos are quite happy.

My 3 are fine on a rolling road. Dead slow they are fine as well, but when speeded up, they all have a to and throw movement, enough to eventually cause the birdcages behind them to uncouple.

I have not figured out why they do this. Maybe the wheels are tad off centre causing mini jumps, maybe a balancing of the wheels and motion combined with the rather light nature of the model.

Seperate front boiler probably more to do with tooling constraints of the 'square' bunker section and the 'round' boiler section.

I suspect that an O1 would be considered too similar to the C to be commercially viable

Ah - but think what fun the toolmakers could have ..... with a 'C' they're all much the same ( a few have Westinghouse brakes, a few had coal raves and a few had shallow running plates ) but there are all sorts of possibilities with the 'O'/'O1' family ! : sandboxes, cabs, boilers, tenders, reverser position, cut-down chimney & dome ........... then there are more livery options too ................................ not commercially viable ? - c'mon, the collectors would have a field day !

Anyway - back on topic - WHERE's MY 'H', Mr.Hatton ??!?

Ah - but think what fun the toolmakers could have ..... with a 'C' they're all much the same ( a few have Westinghouse brakes, a few had coal raves and a few had shallow running plates ) but there are all sorts of possibilities with the 'O'/'O1' family ! : sandboxes, cabs, boilers, tenders, reverser position, cut-down chimney & dome ........... then there are more livery options too ................................ not commercially viable ? - c'mon, the collectors would have a field day !

Anyway - back on topic - WHERE's MY 'H', Mr.Hatton ??!?

The 'O' never made it to BR. The number of tooling variants (add buffers, lamp irons, smokebox doors and tender rears too) might just be too much to put someone off, that combined with the flux of other 0-6-0 locos and other SECR locos coming out now.

Bachmann's C has 2 chimney variants and 3 smoke boxes and was certainly the more popular of the two types.

In anycase, the NRM has something up its sleeve this year. An SECR D class?????

Mind you, I've nearly finished a kit of the O1 (see the kit building forum) so maybe we'll see one soon.

Edited by JSpencer

....... but EKLR No.6, I think it was, survived to 1949 with a Stirling cab ( though technically an O1 ) and was allocated BR number 31372 ( which it didn't carry ) ........... prototype for everything department !

Unfortunately that loco had additional EKR modifications unique to that loco. BR looked at EKRs stock and scrapped them shortly afterwards.

In anycase, the NRM has something up its sleeve this year. An SECR D class?????

Now, wouldn’t that be nice? I think I’m well served to have coaches and locos in liveries which could have been seen together, even if the locos are not quite what would have pulled the Birdcages. Nevertheless, a locomotive of the appropriate type to whirl the Birdcages along would be excellent.

Some people are never satisfied. What I would then want would be another Birdcage set so that I could run a train of a decent length.

• Like 3

Unfortunately that loco had additional EKR modifications unique to that loco. BR looked at EKRs stock and scrapped them shortly afterwards.

variety is the spice of life ........... unfortunate that BR didn't appreciate it ! - but fortunate for anyone who wants a 'different' model.

Hello, everyone. The Southern Railway green H has arrived at Monk Bar Models in York, and looks superb.

Regards,

Rob.

....... my 'H' is now steaming down from Widnes at last ! ......

........ and has now arrived on my desk ............ now, can I think of an excuse to sneak off early and couple it onto those birdcages ......... hmmmm ............. 

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 2