Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

Last night I fitted a DP2X-UK board. It fits perfectly in the space. The UK bit is important as it gives the correct orientation of the 8 pin connector.

I have not had a chance to run it any more than on a one foot program track.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

wowsers thats small!

whats the decoder like in operation ?

Fine.They are essential equipment in 0415s (Oxford and Hornby) and earlier N15s. But not cheap for what you get, especially as few of us need functions in UK steam locos. 

• RMweb Premium

Which Lenz? Space is at a premium on the front of the chassis. 

Silver Mini + (plug added)

Were £28 or so when I bought them, within a pound or two of the DP2X-UK (which I now have a load of in my spares box!)

They work much better when speed profiling in a computer control program (I use TrainController)

Apart from a couple of Digitrax DN135 and Zimo MX618 all stock is now Lenz fitted. The locos still fitted with TCS M1 are currently "Out of service" pending a change.

The DP2X-UK seemed a good buy at first when they were a budget decoder due to their pin configuration. Now they are mid-price compared to many others I do not think they are worth buying anymore.

Keith

Can i just ask, for anyone who has one..... how did you fit your dcc decoder chip ? 

I used a mini Soundtraxx MC1 with a short harness and plug added. It fits nicely in the space in the side tanks. Basically an N-Gauge decoder driving the N-Gauge sized motor.

CVs needed tweaking. I'm not at home and close to my notebook, but I remember more or less halving the all the back EMF values to get smooth low speed running. Cheap too, (in the USA at least). About 2/3 of the price of a Zimo or ESU.

runs very nicely after the tweaks. Now where is the SR green one and Bachmann's missing SR birdcage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A leading box-shifter is currently advertising the H on this page. I note from the label on the end of the box that I paid a tenner less for that particular version at Sherry's local model shop in Paignton, a week before Christmas. Shopping around still works. 

• Like 1

I paid a tenner less for that particular version at Sherry's local model shop in Paignton, a week before Christmas. Shopping around still works. 

Have I missed something? I was under the impression that it was still on a boat of indeterminable speed from China.

• RMweb Gold

Have I missed something? I was under the impression that it was still on a boat of indeterminable speed from China.

31518, BR black, early crest, is the version the box-shifter is offering, and that is the version currently resident here. 

From the Hattons web site

R3540 Southern H class due March but sold out on pre-order

R3631 BR black cycling lion H class due October

R3512 BR late crest H class with Maunsell pull-push set limited edition due March 2018 and not sold out.

When Hornby announced the H class I just wanted the cycling lion one as that is the one I vaguely remember travelling behind on the Romney Marsh. It seemed to skip along the track. As my knowledge of the H class increased I ended up ordering the SE&CR, Southern and BR late crest versions.

I am going to send my SE&CR H class version back to Hornby next week as it is clear from running it alongside my BR late crest version that I have got a faulty model.

I might pre-order a cycling lion H class but I will look around first before deciding where to put the order in. I don't think Hattons are as competitive as they used to be.

• RMweb Gold

31518, BR black, early crest, is the version the box-shifter is offering, and that is the version currently resident here. 

I lied! It is late crest, not really my period, but essential to run with the Maunsell pull-push set. The latter must have sold well - why else would Hornby now be offering what I think is the 8th different set? There were only 20, I think, of the originals!

From the Hattons web site

R3540 Southern H class due March but sold out on pre-order

R3631 BR black cycling lion H class due October

R3512 BR late crest H class with Maunsell pull-push set limited edition due March 2018 and not sold out.

When Hornby announced the H class I just wanted the cycling lion one as that is the one I vaguely remember travelling behind on the Romney Marsh. It seemed to skip along the track. As my knowledge of the H class increased I ended up ordering the SE&CR, Southern and BR late crest versions.

I am going to send my SE&CR H class version back to Hornby next week as it is clear from running it alongside my BR late crest version that I have got a faulty model.

I might pre-order a cycling lion H class but I will look around first before deciding where to put the order in. I don't think Hattons are as competitive as they used to be.

I have 3 of these.

1 is perfect

1 is perfect at dead slow speeds but them imparts a back and forth moment on the train once up to scale speed (it disappears at full speed but then it is like an HST!)

1 imparted back and forth movements at all speeds.

I took number 3 apart, found the pickups were not fully in contact and adjusted them. It is now a lot better but still like number 2.

Taking apart the model is easy, putting it back together is more of a challenge due to the sand pipes.

The other thing is that all 3 show the front wheels to be slightly lifted from the track. The trailing bogie does not seem to have space for a spring and there is no room anywhere to add weight forwards except down the stack. I'm sure if all eight wheels make constant contact, the back and forth movement will disappear.

I note that one supplier of DCC sound found the only way to remove this "stutter" as they called it, was with a stay alive. (I don't think I'll add firebox glow like they did however. The cab is too closed). 

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I found that none of the pony truck pick ups were touching the wheels.  Easy to undo the keeper plate and adjust the pickups but care needs to be taken so as not to put too much pressure on the wheels to stop them turning. Mine now runs very nicely on my test oval of track although I do not currently have OO layout to test it on turnouts.

I found that none of the pony truck pick ups were touching the wheels.  Easy to undo the keeper plate and adjust the pickups but care needs to be taken so as not to put too much pressure on the wheels to stop them turning. Mine now runs very nicely on my test oval of track although I do not currently have OO layout to test it on turnouts.

March is still at least two weeks ago so I've not had an opportunity to examine my 'H' yet ......... but it's going straight back to Hornby if they've fitted it with a pony truck instead of the bogie it should have !

( Pickup adjustment will be checked whatever.)

• RMweb Gold

March is still at least two weeks ago so I've not had an opportunity to examine my 'H' yet ......... but it's going straight back to Hornby if they've fitted it with a pony truck instead of the bogie it should have !

( Pickup adjustment will be checked whatever.)

I was running it in reverse :sungum:

Interesting customers photo of a H posted by Hornby. Now whose is that 0-6-0....

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/h/o/Hornby-r3538-craig-owen-jan.jpg

That's irr-elephant ! ..... it's not got a bogie OR a pony truck !

( Both on through trains by the look of it - not sure where the Midland one's from but the other's probably the 'Birkenhead'.)

Edited by Wickham Green

Interesting customers photo of a H posted by Hornby. Now whose is that 0-6-0....

https://www.Hornby.com/media/gene-bluefoot/h/o/Hornby-r3538-craig-owen-jan.jpg

I know it's been commented on before but I'm glad my 'H' - whenever the boat gets here from China - won't have faux-brass boiler fittings : neither the over-glossy fireman's helmet on the 'H' nor the flat-finished brass-painted bits ( both locos ) capture the look of the real thing, I'm afraid .......... maybe the aftermarket will come up with the appropriate fittings as lost-wax castings in due course ?