Oxford Rail 2017 announcement at London Toy Fair (24-26 Jan)

Paul.Uni

But no announcement re reverse blue-grey mark 3s, compatible with the Rapido class 252 power cars. Will anyone do them?

Good move by Oxford, let's hope they can put the Dean goods episode behind them.

Neil

I would imagine such a thing would be announced and exclusive to the NRM. I cannot see these being on general release and the power cars as an exclusive.

• RMweb Premium

Did you notice the sound-fitted Dean Goods with plough for £22.95? That has to be the bargain of this century! Obviously a misprint. :D

Speaking of prices, their prices are creeping up to Hornby and Bachmann levels for equivalent items. That's not a complaint, but my observation is that it also means they will have to be a little more careful with featuring correct details and liveries as they will be competing more directly with the big boys rather than selling cheaper but slightly less detailed items.

Hornby and Bachmann prices are likely to rise soon anyway. Taff warned that prices are likely to rise just after the Brexit vote.

• RMweb Premium

So now we have Oxford Rail versus Hattons directly competing on Warwells !

Good luck to Oxford, I hope they make money.

But Hattons have only said their Warwell is being made at a factory in China. Perhaps they are working with Oxford Rail, and issuing different variants. I see one of Oxford Rail's includes a Sherman tank (which they haven't yet announced in their vehicles range) and another a steam road engine (what most of us would call a road roller) - brilliant!

John Storey

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine such a thing would be announced and exclusive to the NRM. I cannot see these being on general release and the power cars as an exclusive.

I hope so. There are a few discrete differences between the prototype mk 3s and production apart from the livery. So it's not just a case of a relivery of existing tooling. I will be looking at modelling the whole train, and not just buying the power cars.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

But Hattons have only said their Warwell is being made at a factory in China. Perhaps they are working with Oxford Rail, and issuing different variants. I see one of Oxford Rail's includes a Sherman tank (which they haven't yet announced in their vehicles range) and another a steam road engine (what most of us would call a road roller) - brilliant!

John Storey

There seem to be no hints floating round about who is doing the Hattons Warwell so it could well be Oxford/the same factory - seems too much of a coincidence otherwise.    They'll need to alter the 'road engine' as it could be seriously out-of-gauge with the  chimney and canopy in position.

As far as I know the principal GER livery for the N7 was grey (I'm presuming this continued with the post-war GER built engines).  And once again Oxford have chosen a class with numerous detail differences depending on when they were built, what they were built for, and where they operated so they'll need to be careful to avoid another Dean Goods episode.

The GW 4 wheel brakevan is a natural follow on to the 6 wheeler as it basically involves little more than omitting the centre pair of wheels making an AA3 out of an AA1.  What I do wonder about are some of the livery details they are showing on the website (although some will not enlarge so cannot be easily checked) as there seem to be one or two inconsistencies - but then such things were not unknown in the real world so are no problem if they are supported by photos.

The Dean Goods with snowplough is very much the sort of 'left field' thing I'd expect from Oxford and it will no doubt sell like hot cakes but more interesting perhaps is the fact that the 'cooking' version of the Dean Goods is also shown as 'future' so are changes perhaps taking place (or am I being unduly optimistc)?

One rather clever touch is listing items as 'future' - in other words 'we're going to release them sometime'

• Like 2

Probably grey or black, IIRC only the first one received the Prussian Blue livery.

GER Prussian Blue?? S&D had Prussian blue not the GER, the GER blue is deep dark Ultramarine blue often referred to Royal Blue incorrectly.

I assume Oxford will also at some stage be doing the later round topped LNER/BR versions as the pictures on the website all show the earlier Belpaire firebox version.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm

The Warwell and the two tank wagons duplicate things I already wasn't intending to buy.

Of the rest, most is out of area or era (or both) for me.

Just the Toad to add to my ever-growing collection of brake vans.

Oh, well; more cash to spend with Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby then.......

John

• Like 1

One rather clever touch is listing items as 'future' - in other words 'we're going to release them sometime'

Oxford Diecast have been using the "future" marker since the new website was introduced, and generally it means "sometime in the coming 12 months, but never quickly enough for some people". :-)

Edited by mikeharvey22
  • Like 3

It'll be interesting to see how well they'll attempt the N7 and when they intend to deliver it.

On that note, I'm disappointed that there wasn't a definite announcement on the delivery dates for the Dean Goods. "Future" on the website isn't good enough for a model displayed as almost completed 11 months ago.  I know that there have been adverse comments about various aspects of the model but the lack of information from Oxford has been deafening.

As for the snow ploughs, is there a GWR diagram for those?  :jester:

I have seen the GER blue described as 'Prussian Blue' in print. It might be because that the blue pigment used became unobtainable during WW1 as it came from Prussia, hence the grey livery.

I was put right on this.  It is all a question of pigment, I gather, so Ultramarine and Prussian blue are derived from different pigments.  GE, I gather, was ultramarine.

Interestingly, there is a reason why it is sometimes thought of as "Royal Blue".  This describes its original use, not the shade as such. 

See https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/information-leaflets/ger-loco-blue, which I quote:

On May 6th, 1882, Queen Victoria travelled by train from Windsor to Chingford for the ceremony dedicating Epping Forest to the public. Her train was hauled from Victoria Park by ‘No. 134 Class’ 0-4-4 tank engine No. 189, which was specially painted blue for the occasion. This livery was subsequently adopted as standard for GER locomotives ...

The blue colour is often referred to as "Royal Blue", which is something of a misnomer, as the actual colour used was a deep, pure ultramarine blue, whereas the colour usually recognised as "Royal Blue" is a lighter tint. The term applied to the GER livery almost certainly is due to the circumstances of its debut on the railway scene.

As regards the N7, the issue is largely academic as No.1001 was the only class member to be painted ultramarine as a grey livery was adopted in 1915.  Interestingly No. 1000 was out-shopped in photographic grey, which it retained until c.1920.

All the others were out-shopped in war-time grey.  The photo on the Oxford site is the post-war version of the grey livery with the large train reporting numbers on the tank side, so if this livery is produced, it is good from c.1921.

Guest Midland Mole

First there was a Southern loco, then a Great Western loco, now a London North Eastern loco.... Does this mean a London Midland Scottish loco next year?

We can hope.

*cough* Caley 812 *cough*

A boy can dream... :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 4

First there was a Southern loco, then a Great Western loco, now a London North Eastern loco.... Does this mean a London Midland Scottish loco next year?

Or even LSWR Adams, GWR Dean, GER Hill. All from pre-group companies with London terminii, designer surname one letter longer than pre-group company initials. From what ended up in the LMS group:

'NLR Park' is an acceptable answer. Very nice little 0-6-0T also seen on the Cromford and High Peak system.

Or an 'LNWR Whale', perhaps a funky Precursor 4-4-0 or a 19" Goods 4-6-0.

(Been enjoying 'Only Connect' rather too much as some will probably discern.)

• Like 5