Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

Perhaps Hornby could produce a 4-Cep TSO in the appropriate livery for us to run with these?

Hi,

??????????????????

The CEP is manufactured by Bachmann.

Hornby make a VEP

Unfortunatly in todays price climate and shortage of production slots in China it seems unlikely to happen

Regards

Hi,

??????????????????

The CEP is manufactured by Bachmann.

Hornby make a VEP

Unfortunatly in todays price climate and shortage of production slots in China it seems unlikely to happen

Regards

Yep, my fault, Hornby on the brain at the moment....... I did indeed mean Bachmann! Edited my post accordingly. 

Didn't the thumpers use the same middle coach as the BR Mk1 4-EPBs?

If so, that could tooled up, Bachmann doing the 4-EPB BR mk1 style (would use 2 of the DMBS of the 2-EPB plus 2 of the tooled up coaches. Kernow would use the same tool for th 3H.

And that is the frustrating thing (in my opinion).  One shell opens the opportunity to create another unit.  Also, at present we have the correct shells to produce a 2HAP. If only it was as simple as saying, "Yes lets produce that next year!" 

Edited by kintbury jon

• RMweb Gold

Catch 22 for me I'm afrad.  Kernow won't do a three car unit unles they sell shed loads of two cars.  I have no use for a two car set and consequently won't buy one.  If they make a three car set, I'd buy at least three as a nine car consist would be right for Star Lane.  :-(

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Catch 22 for me I'm afrad.  Kernow won't do a three car unit unles they sell shed loads of two cars.  I have no use for a two car set and consequently won't buy one.  If they make a three car set, I'd buy at least three as a nine car consist would be right for Star Lane.  :-(

At the moment we can only run my 2 car one on Star Lane, although I might well get another 2 car to make it at least 4 - not really prototypical though.

I would be the same, wanting more 3 cars than 2 cars

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

A moot point but if three-car units were available I'd probably have had two.  Currently I only have a single 2-car set.  However Kernow MRC made their decision early on, would have surely weighed the pros and cons and pricing of 2H versus 3H, less common versus more common units, affordability and potential sales.

It isn't their fault the models have taken so long to reach the shelves.  What that delay has probably done though is tie up significant funds, impact on sales and upon other projects.  One of those "other projects" might have been a centre trailer.  Though from their own statements one might yet be offered at some stage.

Think its a shame Kernow do not take the un-prototypical route of selling two-car blue / grey versions, if they sell loads they will have a fair indication of how many centre cars would also be required, not excluding the green and blue versions.

I'd be interested to know whether one could get one of the cheaper Connex/Green ones and have it 'pro resprayed' for a similar price to the new batch (I don't know how much resprays are these days).  If one could get it sprayed blue/grey for £60, there's the solution.

I still like the idea of a 205 and with no projects at the moment, it's tempting to get a Connex one and mess around with it, either cut n shutting a centre car or going for the 204 with the EPB DTSO left as it is.    

• RMweb Gold

Think its a shame Kernow do not take the un-prototypical route of selling two-car blue / grey versions, if they sell loads they will have a fair indication of how many centre cars would also be required, not excluding the green and blue versions.

I ended up buying a 2-car Connex to respray, but I'm another who would buy a couple of 3-car blue and greys.

How much would people be prepared to pay for a centre car? As someone posted previously, perhaps the same price as the Bachmann Inspection Saloon - around £60? I would pay that. But I don't think I would pay £260 for a 3-car unit when I've already bought a 2 car one.

If only some common sense was applied to this and a centre car was commisioned, instead of duplicating RTR obscure steam locos.

• RMweb Gold

How much would people be prepared to pay for a centre car? As someone posted previously, perhaps the same price as the Bachmann Inspection Saloon - around £60? I would pay that. But I don't think I would pay £260 for a 3-car unit when I've already bought a 2 car one.

If only some common sense was applied to this and a centre car was commisioned, instead of duplicating RTR obscure steam locos.

I could be persuaded to pay that, but I agree that £260 is way too much for a 3 car unit.

Kickstarter anyone?  :locomotive:

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested in knowing whether the lighting would all work if one inserts a 4CEP TS between the two 205 coaches.  

I actually tried that a little while ago, albeit with all-green coaches.  The lights on the two 205 coaches worked fine, but the 4CEP coach's lights only worked in one direction.  The 4CEP is wired differently to the 2EPB, in that you can separately turn on headcodes and interior lights with F0 and F1, whereas with the 2EPB and 205 they work together with F0, although you do have a switch on the underside of the 205 to turn off the interior lights so that only the headcodes operate.

Despite the mismatch in the coach design, a 3-car unit looked so much better!

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

I originally pre-ordered a green SYP version but in the end bough one with the orange V rather than wait. So now I'm not sure what to do. I can't really justify another green one, so may go for a two car plain blue instead. But like others I's much prefer any more I bought were 3-car.

Has Kernow said what the arrangements are for the ownership of the tooling once its models are produced? With Dapol production, I recall them saying the tooling would belong to them, but I thought Bachmann doesn't work that way. If Kernow decided not to produce any more exclusive models and after a certain time the tooling were to pass to Bachmann, perhaps then there might be a better chance of a centre car as part of a standard production run.

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC's site does explicitly state for a number of commissions that the tooling is / will be owned by them.  The 2H is not one of those.  As such I suppose it is possible that at some future time Bachmann, assuming they own the tooling, may decide it is worth issuing more units.  There is still the issue of finding a centre trailer to scan without which creating a tool from drawings and photos takes a lot longer.

On the other hand it is gratifying to see that one version of the Thumper, the green-with-V variant, has actually sold out.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

Kernow MRC's site does explicitly state for a number of commissions that the tooling is / will be owned by them.  The 2H is not one of those.  As such I suppose it is possible that at some future time Bachmann, assuming they own the tooling, may decide it is worth issuing more units.  There is still the issue of finding a centre trailer to scan without which creating a tool from drawings and photos takes a lot longer.

On the other hand it is gratifying to see that one version of the Thumper, the green-with-V variant, has actually sold out.

Does a centre car have to be scanned? Surely all the information required can be deduced from the data they already have with a 'cut and shut' of the driving car drawings. TBF I don't have a clue if it's viable for them but it would work for me.

I don't think "can it be done" is really a question as it's very clear it could be done.

The bigger question is "is it financially viable" which, presumably, as three car units have not been made, that decision has already been investigated and discarded for the moment.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested in knowing whether the lighting would all work if one inserts a 4CEP TS between the two 205 coaches.  The hardest issue would be sorting out the hopper windows.  I'm sure one could plonk a pair of gangways on the 205 easily enough though.

On d.c. yes, the interior lighting works, but only in one direction (depending on which way round you fit the trailer). Tried that when some green 4-CEPs were available at a reduced price, thinking about producing a 3-H or two, but have not got significantly further since then.

• RMweb Gold

I had this today from Kernow.

Will need to think about this - will probably go for one sound fitted 2H. It's just a shame my chosen BR Blues weren't among the first batch. Some you win some you lose.

Thanks for your order for one of our Class 205 Thumper models. It has taken longer than expected but we are pleased to announce that production capacity for our remaining Class 205 models has been made available.

The Class 205s should be available during the 3rd Quarter of 2015. We have been negotiating with Bachmann about these remaining models as they have been hit hard with the new prices. We fully understand why Bachmann has had to increase their prices and we have negotiated to have these prices held for next year, so they will not be subject to a further increase. It is unfortunate that the Thumper has so many individual parts as although that makes it a superb model it has also added to the cost of assembly.

The reasons for Bachmann's price increases have been well documented and the price of a 2 car Class 205 will be £210. Anyone placing a pre-order for these models will save just over £10 although we reserve the right to remove the pre-order price as soon as the models have been manufactured. We will also be offering a sound option for an additional £100. The sound decoder and speakers will be fitted in our own workshop.

We have previously honoured pre-order prices when we can, but as these models have increased from the originally-announced £149.99 in 2009 we cannot keep to this in this case.

Our records show you already have an order for:

2x 31-238Z K2005 Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit number 1122

As mentioned although we cannot keep to the original price if you wish to keep your order we will amend this on our system to £189.99 (or £289.99 for digital sound fitted). We will also add 1000 loyalty points to your account in recognition of your patience to date.

If you wish to take up this option please let us know. You can either call or email and it will probably be worth updating your card details at the same time. You can also place a new order on our website if you prefer, but please remember to add a note to the order to say that it replaces your existing order!

If you would prefer to cancel the order instead please also let us know so that we do not keep trying to contact you!

For information the next batch of models are shown below: -

31-239Z Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 205 001 debranded Network SouthEast

31-239ZDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 205 001 debranded Network SouthEast DCC Sound Fitted

31-236X Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1121 BR Green small yellow panel

31-236XDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1121 BR Green small yellow panel DCC Sound Fitted

31-238Z Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1122 BR Blue

31-238ZDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1122 BR Blue DCC Sound Fitted

You can view further details about these models on our website - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/61/Class_205_Thumper_Unit

We had originally intended to offer two running numbers of the BR Green version. With the new pricing we don't believe there will be sufficient demand for two near-identical models so we have cancelled the second running number (previous reference K2006) and transferred orders to 31-236X. Again, please let us know if you would rather have the order cancelled.

The specification for the units is unchanged, with directional lighting with white blinds showing at the front and red at the rear. There are switches below the unit that will allow you to switch off these lights if you wish for when running units in multiple; the switch will allow each car to be switched independently. A headlight will be fitted to the NSE version. The units also have interior lights and are through-wired so that only one 21-pin decoder will be required. The tooling allows for the fitting of two-tone horns or whistle, depending on the era of the unit in question. The engine room radiator louvres or mesh varies according to era to match the prototype as does the fitment of roof periscopes and position of the exhaust port. There are two different bogies, the original Mk3 bogies or the Mk4 with shock absorbers in accordance with the prototype. The interior allows the seating layout of the compartments to be varied with removable seats to allow the creat!

ion of a luggage compartment if required to match the prototype.

To clarify some common questions, we cannot produce a Blue and Grey model as we cannot find any evidence that any Phase 1 or Phase 2 unit ran in this livery as a 2 car. The Class 204 using an EPB driving trailer as a centre car has been looked into but the costs of providing through-wiring with electrical couplings have been too high. A newly-tooled centre car would probably add too much to the cost and we will need to see how well these models sell before deciding if it is worth the extra cost to produce this.

No deposit is required as we will only charge for these models when we are ready to send them.

Many thanks for your continued support with this project. Further updates will be given on our website and our weekly email newsletter.

Regards and thanks,

Chris Trerise

Managing Director

Kernow Model Rail Centre

98A Trelowarren Street

Camborne / Kambronn

Cornwall / Kernow

TR14 8AN

Tel: 01209 714099

Email: sales@kernowmodelrailcentre.com

Web: www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

• RMweb Premium

£190 for two coaches with a motor is really a bit steep, even today. And with there being no likelihood of a centre car to do a 3H, I'll stick to buying DC Kits models as long as I can get my hands on them. At least then I can have a consistent finish across all cars in a unit, and across units where a two car might be operated.

• RMweb Premium

£190 for two coaches with a motor is really a bit steep

Compared with, shall we say, a blue MLV (retailer's commission but only a re-livery of a catalogue item) at £109.99 plus a typical Mk1 carriage now around £29 I could agree.  But remember this is a unique commissioned item and the entire cost has to be recovered through a fairly small number of pieces.

Bachmann hasn't announced a price for the forthcoming Southern class 171 which is in effect a reissue of a previously-commissioned unit for which they surely have the tooling already and only need to press the button.  If it comes in at under £150 I'll be very surprised.

However each to their own and what one of us considers over-priced another will pay for.  Such are market forces.  

Damn. I've just had to abort my pre-order for a NSE liveried thumper. Not having used Kernow before (or indeed ever pre-ordered anything before), the website states that I have to have my first order delivered to my card billing address for security reasons. Subsequent orders can be delivered to an alternative address. We're just about to put this house up for sale and I don't think we'll be living here when production arrives! Hmm. What to do? I guess I'll have to pre-order when we know our next address. Ah well.