Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

• RMweb Gold

If you don’t know what ‘the types’ are you must be one of them

Joking apart I mean Dress code I suppose, I don’t mean it in a disparaging way but you can generally spot an ‘enthusiast’ be it model or real thing from a distance!

Older modellers/enthusiasts, satchel/shoulder bag , beige m+s jacket, comfy slacks and beige comfy shoes (too cold for socks and sandals)

Middle aged modellers: not quite reached the comfy slack stage, likes to think they are in the younger enthusiast stage but buys clothes from jacamo as they are a nice fit, “trendy” shoezone trainers as their knees hurt (this is my category!)

Younger modellers/enthusiasts, hoody, SLR camera photographing anything that moves before they get in the train, small backpack, jeans, trainers (T-shirt with some random no kettles, depot logo, sci-fi logo during the summer)

Both easily distinguishable from the footy fans on the same train, black bomber jacket zipped up to the top, Black jeans, Lonsdale trainers, chewing gum, can of Stella in jacket pocket

(Plus being as I’m in uniform the enthusiasts make a new line for me asking if anything special is due)

I do a lot of people watching on this job

Not going this year, but relieved to know I don't fit any of the (stereo) "types".

My exhibition/gricing attire consists of Craghopper Kiwis, Clarks Rocky Lo, Tamrac camera bag/rucksack, Millets Peter Storm jacket (in the bag when warmer) with a multi-pocket gilet underneath.

Nearest I get to beige is one of my gilets, which is pale green. I'm only 66 and hope not to enter the beige phase for another 15 years at least. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I’m getting grumpy that all the rucksacks are at the perfect height to smack my 8yr old in the face. Forget rude young people, all the kids seem to be impeccably behaved. It’s men of a certain age with enormous bags

As one of "a certain age" myself and one who chooses to go tomorrow in the hope of more space to see,hear,listen and talk without these hazards,I understand completely what you and others complain of.  The sample of my generation strutting their stuff in hall 5 is par for the course I'm afraid.IMHO young people have nicer manners and are usually considerate and kind towards older persons.I wish it were the same in the opposite direction.

It seems though that ,sadly,attitudes to both old and young are being polarised in a negative way.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

If you don’t know what ‘the types’ are you must be one of them

Joking apart I mean Dress code I suppose, I don’t mean it in a disparaging way but you can generally spot an ‘enthusiast’ be it model or real thing from a distance!

Older modellers/enthusiasts, satchel/shoulder bag , beige m+s jacket, comfy slacks and beige comfy shoes (too cold for socks and sandals)

Middle aged modellers: not quite reached the comfy slack stage, likes to think they are in the younger enthusiast stage but buys clothes from jacamo as they are a nice fit, “trendy” shoezone trainers as their knees hurt (this is my category!)

Younger modellers/enthusiasts, hoody, SLR camera photographing anything that moves before they get in the train, small backpack, jeans, trainers (T-shirt with some random no kettles, depot logo, sci-fi logo during the summer)

Both easily distinguishable from the footy fans on the same train, black bomber jacket zipped up to the top, Black jeans, Lonsdale trainers, chewing gum, can of Stella in jacket pocket

(Plus being as I’m in uniform the enthusiasts make a new line for me asking if anything special is due)

I do a lot of people watching on this job

Unpleasant

Hey, all you lucky people that are there.  Unfortunately I couldn't attend this year.

Could we have some feedback on new models in cabinets, layouts etc. please?

Thanks a lot.

(Not too interested in reading about rucksacks and clothing!).

Edit - Compound - you beat me to it!

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 2

Hey, all you lucky people that are there.  Unfortunately I couldn't attend this year.

Could we have some feedback on new models in cabinets, layouts etc. please?

Thanks a lot.

(Not too interested in reading about rucksacks and clothing!).

Edit - Compound - you beat me to it!

Far too early and sensible for that It'll come (and with all the accompanied whinging - excitement - disappointment ) in due course.

I did apologise. :D

Ian

• Like 1

Why.....were you expecting any then ? Bachmann's current supply situation has been explained earlier on this forum and Hornby now announce separately in the new year.

I was hoping that it was a sarcastic comment. 

15 pages so far, and nothing about the products on show at Warley. 

Not going this year, but relieved to know I don't fit any of the (stereo) "types".

John

Thankfully I don't either. :)

However if I was attending then they would probably point me to one of the other events happening that weekend at the NEC instead. Not the Baby And Toddler one I hasten to add.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice rucksack.

Thanks it’s quite heavy.. Kernow red 47 is £79,

Heljan is selling class 86’s, 27’s, Hymeks and 07’s at around £80 mark, feels like I went back a few years but bought a few gap fillers there, went back this afternoon and there’s lots of gaps at the table now !

Dapol has 68’s at £100, 73’s at £85.

First time ever I got to the Bachmann returns stand front row... left empty handed .. first time for that too.

Some good deals on djmodels too.

Signed up interest in the GT3 in OO gauge, and of course Accurascales Deltic.

Not seen many LBSC H1/2 today have they sold out already ?

Some big crowds around Liverpool Lime street layout ! But layouts is for tomorrow, still shopping to do.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why.....were you expecting any then ? Bachmann's current supply situation has been explained earlier on this forum and Hornby now announce separately in the new year.

I did ask specifically after news, not announcements of new models. I assumed that as both Hornby and Bachmann have stands at the show that they contain more than a logo, and cardboard cutouts manning them, So It was not unreasonable to ask if there was any news.

Well I was in the queue to enter at 9:45, went straight to the back and worked forward.

Lots of space, was all done by13:30, nothing of note on the Bachmann stand but I’m not a BR or LMS modeller.

Finally left the hall at 16:00 having made my one purchase of the day, a three way point!

Now I nearly home in my reserved seat on a Cross Country service to Manchester.

I am concerned about my mojo though, apart from Ludlow and Liverpool LS I was completely nonplussed about the day. This is a reflection of my state of mind not the exhibition itself.

• Like 2

Reached the “ why the hell do I do this ?” By midday, braced it out till 2pm.

Rather paucity of DE layouts, but what there was were good.

Nice to see hattons 66 ( did someone drop it ?) , revolution MMA boxes and a few other bits .

Well I was in the queue to enter at 9:45, went straight to the back and worked forward.

Lots of space, was all done by13:30, nothing of note on the Bachmann stand but I’m not a BR or LMS modeller.

Finally left the hall at 16:00 having made my one purchase of the day, a three way point!

Now I nearly home in my reserved seat on a Cross Country service to Manchester.

I am concerned about my mojo though, apart from Ludlow and Liverpool LS I was completely nonplussed about the day. This is a reflection of my state of mind not the exhibition itself.

Don't worry, your interest will bounce back.  I sometimes get that at exhibitions - particularly the large ones such as Warley.  Sometimes it can all seem too much, if you know what I mean.

I wish I could have gone this year though - but am enjoying the feedback that's now coming through.  Thanks everyone, keep it coming!

Hi.....

Just got back home after leaving at 4pm....there at 0815....queues already formed at that time but good humoured and into the show a tad easier and earlier I thought....but with a good breakfast had immediately spent the remainder of the time visiting a truly enjoyable show.....fantastic layouts, good trade stands and with a bit more room between the aisles and stands for me it seemed 'less cramped'.......

Santa came early and now have a good selection of bits and bobs to carry onto my Cambrian Street layout project.....good to see the guys from the Model Railway Challenge and everyone seemed happy.....

Trains were packed on the way back but to be expected.....no trouble getting there this morning

Thanks again to all on the Warley organising side.....I think this is number 50 visit to Warley Show...went to the first and subsequent ones anyway.....

Thanks to all.....

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Back in my hotel, made it a full 12 hours today in the NEC !

7 locos in the bag, 3 more pre-paid (Kernow’s HYE D600 in Blue and 2 Accurascale Deltics), the detail on the bogies is excellent as is the planned interior detail.

Got to handle the D600 in the flesh today, it is truly powered as an A1A-A1A not as a CO-CO, very interesting roof detail and different grills for differing versions.

I like the shade of blue, we both agree we’ve seen pictures of Blue with Blue battery boxes, but as non have been found they will be black, the green ones will have Green battery boxes, I’ve now 3 D600’s on order.

Tomorrow I have a bit more shopping to pick up (an LBSC H1, Dapol 68, Bachmann coils and the DBSO.. I truly collect a wide span of time).

Good to meet a half dozen or so people at The RMWeb meet up today, will be there again tomorrow.

As an FYI Locomotion have a few 46229 Duchess of Hamilton’s remaining £189 a piece.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hornby has painted samples of 673, lord nelson and streamlined Duchess.

Bachmann has the 2-Hap, class 121, 117 and 159 on show as well as paint sample 37’s.

Thanks for the inf and pics, would love to see a painted sample of the streamlined Duchess, not sure they've been aired before?

Edit--aah, I see one here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117259-Hornby-princess-coronation-class-duchess/?p=3376474

Livery looks very nice!

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman