Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

I'd love to see a Class 86, but I can guarantee that it will not be a Class 86.

However the way the news was presented made me think that the announcement was not for a product but rather more of a "news" topic. And it could be anything related to the brand itself. Certainly not a merger with Oxford as I don't think that's happening.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With 7mm scale increasing in popularity and Bachmann and Heljan leaping into 4mm NG, how about Hornby breaking new ground (in a vacant niche) with r-t-r in O-16.5?

Probably quarry Hunslets and a few wagons to test the waters, but how many people would get killed in the rush for a Fairlie or a L&B Manning Wardle.............

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

There was that photo of what appeared to be rack system they posted some time back; maybe that went no where but tapping into the NG market would be obvious way to way. If they do they need to come up with a distinct branding; as odd as it seems there were stories of Lyddle End buildings being purchased by people thinking they were OO sized. More obvious would be an announcement they are absorbing Oxford Rail and if they do breathing over the range like they did with the Dapol acquisitions can only be beneficial

Scalextric sold off or abandoned

Corgi sold to Oxford Diecast (with Oxford Railways absorbed into Hornby)

Hornby to concentrate on Model Railways and Airfix.

All production to be transferred to Oxford Diecast factories.

(How that ties into the Engine Shed's "hint" to "Keep your eyes peeled and your ears to the ground" I cannot see.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That appears to be 2+2 unidirectional seating next to a large open area, which is more synonymous with modern vehicles/units.

At least it would appear not to be Chuggington. I had visions of a face on their Ex-Lima Deltic.

• RMweb Premium

Its obvious really, they have announced a couple of weeks of frothing, followed by a cold front of its not fair, it should be this and this detail or that detail is wrong. Then will come the we want this version or that version. Followed by complaints about the price and then doubtless complaints it is not quite right.

I'll get my coat, lol

• RMweb Premium

That appears to be 2+2 unidirectional seating next to a large open area, which is more synonymous with modern vehicles/units.

If Door 5 is opposite Door 1, then whatever it is must have 4 Doors per side (1 - 4 down one side & 5 - 8 down the other).  Any suggestions?

If Door 5 is opposite Door 1, then whatever it is must have 4 Doors per side (1 - 4 down one side & 5 - 8 down the other).  Any suggestions?

That was one of the reasons I was thinking of a PEP derived EMU. They have two pairs of doors each side which adds up to eight doors per car. But not with those seats.

Jason

If - big if - Paul Isles isn't being a *****tease and the image is a genuine clue, it's clearly a unit of some description (hoorah, not another bl**dy kettle...) and I do wonder if there is a clue in the way Hornby seem to follow Bachmann in announcing niche modern items that the self appointed Dennis Experts claim will never sell - Bachmann developed the CEP and EPB milkfloats at a time when all the self indulgent sages were saying "third rail units will never sell" only for Hornby to develop their less than stellar VEP and their more respectable Southern "electric kettles" (they being less modern than BR standard steam locos of course, so hardly "modern image"), then Bachmann pulled a flanker with their 85 in spite of those same sages saying "overhead electrics never sell", followed by Hornby committing serious money to replacing their inherited 87 with a new hi-fi model. Bachmann of course developed the bi-polar Dessie as both an overhead and a third rail unit. Could Hornby now be following suit with the equally bi-polar "Electrostar"? If they can produce both the flush glazed and gasket glazed versions they can release an Electrostar in a huge range of liveries from both north and south of the Thames in both third rail and overhead versions. In fact it seems a bit of a low hanging fruit.

Unless of course they are going to blind side everyone with a modern tram of some description.

• Like 1