SWAG Member's Day - 2020 - CANCELLED

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

So, we're not just going to sit & trade insults while eating stuff then?

Well most of the time with brief interludes of looking at models hopefully.

Ah the Joy' of outside toilets the access to ours was through the back door in the Kitchen. The bath was in the Kitchen. If Mum was in the bath it was a half mile trek from the front door and round the block to the back. If the Thames was flooding it was no go.

When we moved to the Wenlock edge in the 70s none of the row had an inside toilet. They were all the other side of a shared drive along the back. Our Neighbour Alf would cross back tucking his shirt in and pulling up braces. Shirtsleeves and Flat Cap. I hadn't wondered about the Flat Cap before.......

Don

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Seeing as you ask, in a manner of speaking,  Yes. 

Originally accessed from the garden, HQ is now accessed from inside the house and comes complete with magazine rack,  cup holder and cat flap. 

Rob. 

6 hours ago, teaky said:

Any toilet paper?

On the shelf, next to the transistor radio, portrait of HM The Queen and the tin of biscuits. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

On the shelf, next to the transistor radio, portrait of HM The Queen and the tin of biscuits. 

Is this a loo or emergency bolt hole with esential supplies, perhaps a small stack of MRJ to while away the odd moments? Besides doesn't lowering of undegarments in front of HM's portrait constitute some form or treason?

Don

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Donw said:

Is this a loo or emergency bolt hole with esential supplies, perhaps a small stack of MRJ to while away the odd moments? Besides doesn't lowering of undegarments in front of HM's portrait constitute some form or treason?

Don

HM is afforded a small curtain. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

HM is afforded a small curtain. 

Velvet, one would hope, or it could chafe badly.

I prefer the more traditional toilet roll wherever possible.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah the good old days of the Grandparents outside loo, in the winter freezing getting there and remembering to break the ice first no matter how desperate you were! ;)

Did Stubby develop his fascination from similar trauma in his youf?! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Ah the good old days of the Grandparents outside loo, in the winter freezing getting there and remembering to break the ice first no matter how desperate you were! ;)

The first place we rented when we got married was a gate lodge, which had an outside loo.  but the association on here with such facilities came about due to a conversation about the grottiest model of a toilet block on a layout, and the 2011 Competition happened to be running at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The first place we rented when we got married was a gate lodge, which had an outside loo.  but the association on here with such facilities came about due to a conversation about the grottiest model of a toilet block on a layout, and the 2011 Competition happened to be running at the same time.

I went to click to  rate this post andd got a message back saying there was a problem with this content. Not that unusual with a toilet I thought.

Don

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Back in the 50s I used to holiday on the family farm in Carlton (In Coverdale) there was certainly an outside lavatory but no water, just a hole in some wooden planks and quicklime.

Granddad had to clear it out periodically. It was like something out of a Herriot novel! In fact Alf White (James Herriot) was Granddad's vet. A lovely man he always said.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

3 hours ago, Donw said:

I went to click to  rate this post andd got a message back saying there was a problem with this content. Not that unusual with a toilet I thought.

Don

You were blocked? 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Does the toilet roll have the sign above it:

The job's never finished till the paperwork's done

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

riding around his garden on a train for several weeks ?

I wondered how it would be powered but if you put some cake on a stick off the front bufferbeam it should sort itself out. I remember testing it as a kid with a chicken carcass on a stick with a mate's dog and it went for ages. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I wondered how it would be powered but if you put some cake on a stick off the front bufferbeam it should sort itself out. I remember testing it as a kid with a chicken carcass on a stick with a mate's dog and it went for ages. 

Brilliant, the mental image that comes to mind really cheered up my day!

Being in a workplace where we seem to be fuelled by cake, I sometimes feel like I'm wondering round the place in a zombie fashion moaning "cake... CAKE....." ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1