Grounded Vans

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, big jim said:

don’t know where it’s come from but looking at the paintwork on it and the container in front and airport truck is say they are from the same place 

There are 'pieces' all over, including static items.  Either the yard is regularly visited by 'artists' (so not very secure) or they perrmit then to practise their work.  I hope the tender doesn't get cut up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a 1916 Eastleigh-built box van still in use at a private location in former LSWR territory.  The cupboard doors are not original having been replaced by steel in recent years.

P1070176.JPG.6300cf3836e1a28bfa57b4c1e39132f1.JPG

Edited by Adam88
Picture replaced
  • Like 15

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a few recently uncovered near me- all BR standard types but a mixture of planked and plywood and 2 and 3 piece ends. There's 6 or 7 in total all end to end carrying on past the scaffolding frame. Presumably came off of the Dursley branch line. There's at least one more in the same yard that's in excellent condition and freshly creosoted that I presume is still in use for storage- these ones are empty.

PXL_20211002_111548875~2.jpg

• Like 17

23 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I don't think that this one has appeared before, showing that even the railway used grouded van bodies.

There used to be a pair of grounded iron minks to the east of Reading station but they both disappeared during the electrification works.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't think these have been posted here yet. 2 van bodies in a field at Webb's Heath, near Warmley, Bristol. According to RHRP, they are Shocvans.

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=15295

http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=15296

Shocvan_Webb's_Heath_30112021

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...

Came across this one last year near Penshaw, Sunderland. My research suggests it was a BR built van to a GWR design, either diagram 1/203 (fitted 12t vent), 1/205 (unfitted 12t vent, but some later fitted) or 1/207 (12t shock).

I went back to it with a tape measure today and the length of the body is 17ft 6in, which would seem to rule out a shock van as the bodies on these were shorter than this.

Not sure whether it's possible to distinguish between diagrams 1/203 and 1/205 just from the body, but the bauxite paint suggests it was vacuum fitted at some point. There are also clear traces of grey paint below the bauxite in places. Could this suggest it was originally unfitted (diagram 1/205), or could it just be a layer of primer beneath the bauxite topcoat? Any ideas?

Liam

Van resized 1.jpg

Van resized 2.jpg

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 6

Did the GWR make this type of van in plywood? The only pictures I've seen of them are planked but it's a bit out of my era so could be wrong.

Edit - Indeed I was wrong as Paul Bartlett's site includes a few plywood ones by GWR.

Regarding the grey paint, I believe GWR grey is quite dark? The shade on this wagon is a very light grey and definitely more like BR unfitted grey to my eye.

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/02/2022 at 17:15, Pillar said:

Regarding the grey paint, I believe GWR grey is quite dark? The shade on this wagon is a very light grey and definitely more like BR unfitted grey to my eye.

GWR grey might have begun life very dark, but as it aged it got lighter and lighter and ended up very pale.

• Informative/Useful 2

We are replanting our small garden, and looking to purchase some trees recently we visited the Chew Valley Trees nursery for the first time. It seems that since lockdown they have opened a brand new building, but on the other side of the site was an old wooden building, and beside that a van body used for storage.

There were no obvious signs of identification on the van body.

IMG_1152.JPG.6acb7739e4c96a3da3be2e498d8b213c.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG.d780bc90319f20f3f2c9a284c96641f1.JPG

Chew Valley Trees, Chew Magna, Somerset.  27/1/2022

The service, and the quality of the trees is very good.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...