Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

19 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That's what I thought as well.

If it's the motor, let's hope any spares are not prohibitively expensive - would like to see 'alternative applications' ...

That reminds me I need to replace the motor in my Bachmann tilting voyagers. They are the slowest models I have.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’m watching it as we speak..

I want one ! I have no roundy roundy, no catenary , and only a passing interest in WCML….but this take me back to about 1981 and having the original version when I was about 9-10…

I wonder how many Hornby will sell off the back of this?

10 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

That reminds me I need to replace the motor in my Bachmann tilting voyagers. They are the slowest models I have.

I wish you luck with that.

I admit I didn't totally remove ALL 'old grease', but I did most.

I re-greased, and also replaced the motor on my 221 with a brand new motor direct from Bachmann, and ended up selling it on - beautiful model, but alongside the Hornby Pendolino and Hornby Super Detail HST, it was still a joke - as fast as ... a Bachmann 47 if I was lucky, which is OK, but hardly something which routinely exceeds 100mph, never mind 120mph!!

Al.

11 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I had four class 220 and a tilting class 221 and all had varying "low" speeds.  I read several years ago was that the brush tension was causing the speed issues.  I very carefully removed the springs and lengthened them slightly with good results.  Alas,  these tiny springs have a mind of their own and more time was spent trying to find them after they wander off while attempting to manipulate them into position than actually fixing the problem.  They seem to disappear right before your eyes.

• Like 1

I know there's been discussion on light bleed from the bodyshell seams of late. So if anyone wants to know how it looks on the real thing, the gentleman looking after the real thing recently posted this photo. I initially thought it actually was a fixed Hornby car.
Link to the Facebook page for anyone curious: https://www.facebook.com/AptPUkClass370

252831055_5186094994740948_8591343090417453847_n.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2021 at 14:04, Wolf27 said:

The NDM is fairly quick off the mark but for those who use DCC, than can be altered. 

I didn’t run the NDM at all on DC but had a spare Zimo MX600 in the draws and installed that, I must say without any “tuning” the NDM will crawl on step one at about 2 or 3 mph, certainly less than a scale walking pace, so happy with that, I will have to play with the accel curves though as it’s not at all linear.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2021 at 19:28, boxbrownie said:

Must admit, the new NDM arrived today and I had a spare MX600R laying around, nice and easy to fit for once (well done Hornby) and just needs some tuning of the accel and deceleration curves but had it whizzing around and I just say it looks nice and I might just be tempted to look at the rest of the range rather than convert to work with the old version, I’m thinking to keep the original…..er….original now.

Having looked again at the original sitting in its box I am definitely going to use it with the new NDM (thanks to Tips from Ouroborus)……I really do find modelling more interesting than just buying and running, so it’ll be fun (I say that now!).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2021 at 06:25, PaulRhB said:

We’ve only got sketchy info on both being powered though, no official press release confirming it and nothing on the product page either. 

If they are, and the info is rather conflicting as on the programme they suggested one would be enough with the ‘new motor’, they should be a fairly close match so running in together shouldn’t be an issue as ultimately you want to bed them in matched. 

I rang Hornby's Tech Team this morning to enquire about this. The guy there was certain the 7-car has one powered and one dummy. He understood the confusion (why 2 motored units for the 5+ set but only 1 for the 7+ set?) but said that's what he's been told.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I ordered an NDM from Hornby direct on the 22nd of October (none of the shops I tried had any available). The order shows in my bank transactions but I have no confirmation email and no sign of the NDM yet. The Hornby page said that it should be dispatched within 6 days. 

Should I be concerned about lack of delivery yet?

Andi

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I ordered an NDM from Hornby direct on the 22nd of October (none of the shops I tried had any available). The order shows in my bank transactions but I have no confirmation email and no sign of the NDM yet. The Hornby page said that it should be dispatched within 6 days. 

Andi

Definitely contact Hornby. You should have had a confirmation email at the time and a CCL/Hermes email when dispatched, so if you hadn't had either, your order must have gotten lost in the system, annoyingly after they had your monty. I ordered one on 28/10 and got it yesterday, so yours should have arrived by now.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

Yes I agree with Dragonfly, I ordered one and it was delivered within the timescales you suggested. 

Hornby need to change couriers.Hermes are the worst available.Very nearly lost my set of all 9 Coronation Scot coaches in April,it was only by chance I found them sitting in the middle of the floor in my local Newsagent which serves as a delivery point,and when they delivered my first set of APT coaches a couple of weeks ago,despite being in all morning they said I wasn’t at home for the delivery at 10.35.Later that afternoon,while chaperoning my elderly Mother-in-law across our busy road to the Doctors and waiting outside the house for her,the Courier arrived with them while I was standing there.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2021 at 18:50, RedgateModels said:

Only five? :locomotive:

Want another one Andi? :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-APT-power-motor-car-bogie-/353756462808?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Not a bad price tbh, I'd want 15 quid to rewind an armature..... 

Edited by RedgateModels

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

I searched online a few days ago and found Peter Spares had ten in stock at a reduced price, ordered and it came within 48 hours :good:

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Not a bad price tbh, I'd want 15 quid to rewind an armature..... 

I used to rewind the armatures on my scalextric cars when I was at school in our “slot racing club”……..not so sure I’d have the patience nowadays :shout:

My NDM has just arrived and I'm really impressed by its looks. Very nice.

Something I'm not best pleased with is the panto. Once unclipped, it doesn't raise on its own as I had expected. It seems that the spring fitted is too big and therefore doesn't create any tension. Completely redundant! Is everyone else's like this? I can sort of pose the pan in a semi raised position, but if I push down on it, it doesn't spring back up. No good for running under wires...

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

I emailed Hornby last night but then decided to phone today and got through to a really helpful lady called Anita (Simon Kohler, if you are reading this please give her a personal thank you) who said that my NDM had been out for delivery several times but as I've been on jury service for the last three weeks I wasn't at home. No "we tried to deliver" card or anything, looks like it's Hermes being hopeless. I have to phone back on Monday to see what the response from Hermes is.

At least I now have the order number and know I will get my NDM as they are showing as sold out on the website by now.

Andi

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, VXDH92 said:

My NDM has just arrived and I'm really impressed by its looks. Very nice.

Something I'm not best pleased with is the panto. Once unclipped, it doesn't raise on its own as I had expected. It seems that the spring fitted is too big and therefore doesn't create any tension. Completely redundant! Is everyone else's like this? I can sort of pose the pan in a semi raised position, but if I push down on it, it doesn't spring back up. No good for running under wires...

No your not on your own, it’s a very poor panto if you want anything but the stored position……I think the colour needs toning down a bit as well.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

No your not on your own, it’s a very poor panto if you want anything but the stored position……I think the colour needs toning down a bit as well.

That is a shame. They have gone to the effort of putting a spring in, so you would expect it to raise of its own volition. I hope the BW pan that should appear on the 7 car APT will work. It's a bit of a let down on an otherwise brilliant NDM vehicle.