Jump to content

Hornby W1 Hush Hush


Recommended Posts

On 22/05/2020 at 22:11, G-BOAF said:

Indeed it would be nice tribute to the W1 if the tender was temporarily painted back into this colour and displayed somewhere for a short while.

 

It would be nice, but given John Cameron’s obvious lack of caring for anything, I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

It would be nice, but given John Cameron’s obvious lack of caring for anything, I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

 

Lack of caring?

 

60009 and 61994 would be razor blades without him. There really are some daft posts on here sometimes.

 

Yes it would be nice if they were overhauled and kept in steam for ever. But who's going to pay for it?

 

 

 

Jason

  • Agree 19
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

 

Lack of caring?

 

60009 and 61994 would be razor blades without him. There really are some daft posts on here sometimes.

 

Yes it would be nice if they were overhauled and kept in steam for ever. But who's going to pay for it?

 

 

 

Jason

Better to be razor blades and get used than to be stuffed and mounted. Plenty of groups have offered to take over the running and costs of the locos since his announcement of locking them up. His stubbornness has been obvious for quite some time in refusing to let go of them to keep them going.
 

I will stress that his stubbornness is just my own opinion of the way he’s acting. Yes I understand they are his locos and he can do as he likes,  just seems a bit selfish to me that’s all. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 11:37, Hilux5972 said:

It would be nice, but given John Cameron’s obvious lack of caring for anything, I wouldn’t hold your breath. 

Bit harsh.

He has cared for the A4 for half a century, and the K4 for a couple of decades. That is money and time and effort (was often travelling with the engines).

Yes his priorities have shifted now, but this can't be used to dismiss his past efforts.

And the A4 will be allowed to see out its certificate on heritage lines so really will be getting as much use as possible while it still can. And then stored warm and dry and not allowed to rot.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2020 at 00:18, Steamport Southport said:

 

60009 and 61994 would be razor blades without him.

61994 in its LNER guise, passing Bolton in Late 1989, carrying a wreath, for a reason and its not  Mr Cameron.

83E7DC57-2FA5-4DE1-A7B9-A9D4728DF311.jpeg.f5c72a17bceec908ba25d33a30ba4cc1.jpeg
 

lets keep history accurate please, Mr Cameron did not save 3442 from razor blades, and It was widely reported at the time a promise was made to the late Viscount Garnock about the working future of this locomotive.

 

 

 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2020 at 00:18, Steamport Southport said:

 

Lack of caring?

 

60009 and 61994 would be razor blades without him. There really are some daft posts on here sometimes.

 

Yes it would be nice if they were overhauled and kept in steam for ever. But who's going to pay for it?

 

 

 

Jason

 

Offers have been made with regard to the operational future of both locomotives from different parties, those ranged from outright purchase to other offers where the Cameron family would retain ownership but where other parties would overhaul and operate the locomotives at their own cost/responsibility. They have all been turned down because his mind is made up.

Their proposed destiny of being stuffed and mounted in a backwater is entirely avoidable, even now.

 

Edited by Bon Accord
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Whatever shade of grey is used for the production model 10000 I have great confidence in Paul Isles and the team at Hornby to make a good choice. 

 

Paint hues have a habit  of looking a lot different on models, and in real life, than in paint samples.

 

I like the pic shown by Maico of Gresley in front of 10000. Something close to that would be grand.

Edited by robmcg
addition
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had an email from Hattons. A limited number of the R3841-R3844 have become available for preorder, these being the named version, LNER might-have-been Apple Green, and the 2 rebuilt versions. I’ve preordered a BR version to go with my original version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2020 at 08:47, Hilux5972 said:

Better to be razor blades and get used than to be stuffed and mounted.
 

Really? Not that it’s there in good warm storage to restore when Bittern and SNG are worn out? They are safe we have two A4’s cycling through running periods as well it’s a good long term decision and the demand to ride behind them when they re-emerge will be higher. Sounds like good sense to me in a very difficult market even before Covid!

 

 

On 24/05/2020 at 08:47, Hilux5972 said:

 

Plenty of groups have offered to take over the running and costs of the locos since his announcement of locking them up. His stubbornness has been obvious for quite some time in refusing to let go of them to keep them going.

You know all the details about the viability of some of those ‘offers’? 

:blink:

 

On 24/05/2020 at 08:47, Hilux5972 said:

just seems a bit selfish to me that’s all. 

So if we demanded it you’d think it reasonable spend a lot of your own money to put a model show on with no guarantee of the return?

John Cameron doesn’t have to tell everyone his long term plans and he brought a lot of pleasure over a long period. Whether his decision is personal or business based its his to make and I’m sure there’d be far more outcry if your ‘better to be razor blades’ was a proposal. 
 

On 22/05/2020 at 11:11, G-BOAF said:

Indeed it would be nice tribute to the W1 if the tender was temporarily painted back into this colour and displayed somewhere for a short while.

Would you go to see a repainted tender? Sounds like an expensive stunt most people would be rather puzzled by ;) maybe it would work in the Tate Modern but I doubt enthusiasts would cover the costs :) 

 

I’m looking forward to the model though ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/06/2020 at 06:20, Hilux5972 said:

Just had an email from Hattons. A limited number of the R3841-R3844 have become available for preorder, these being the named version, LNER might-have-been Apple Green, and the 2 rebuilt versions. I’ve preordered a BR version to go with my original version. 

 

Thanks for that, I have been very impressed by the pre-production pictures and the price for what is such an impressive locomotive truly from the 'age of steam' , and have pre-ordered one in LNER grey too. 

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robmcg said:

 

Thanks for that, I have been very impressed by the pre-production pictures and the price for what is such an impressive locomotive truly from the 'age of steam' , and have pre-ordered one in LNER grey too. 

Very much looking forward to getting my hands on it. So far the pre-prod images look very impressive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The W1 was never given a name & had the No 10000 . But when fitted out with stream line body I have seem photos with it running No 10000 & 60700. Did LNER ever number any loco's  10000+ or 60700+ .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

The W1 was never given a name & had the No 10000 . But when fitted out with stream line body I have seem photos with it running No 10000 & 60700. Did LNER ever number any loco's  10000+ or 60700+ .

60700 was its BR Number. It had a nameplate cast for it but never fitted. Just as it was never painted in LNER Apple Green. Hornby have done a couple of what-if models, to maximise the options available. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

60700 was its BR Number. It had a nameplate cast for it but never fitted. Just as it was never painted in LNER Apple Green. Hornby have done a couple of what-if models, to maximise the options available. 

 

Thank you .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 24/05/2020 at 00:18, Steamport Southport said:

 

Lack of caring?

 

60009 and 61994 would be razor blades without him. There really are some daft posts on here sometimes.

 

Yes it would be nice if they were overhauled and kept in steam for ever. But who's going to pay for it?

 

 

 

Jason

Very well said

 

David

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like they’ll be providing full length drain pipes for the streamlined W1. Hopefully they’ll be available separately or in a detail pack so they can be used on A4s as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to hand it to Simon Kohler. Announcing something as obscure as the “Hush Hush” could be regarded as courageous in the Yes, Minister sense. However, It is selling out on pre-order in some places already, so he has read the market well. It looks superb. I only hope there won’t be any flangeless wheels under the cab, although that hasn’t stopped me ordering one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I have to hand it to Simon Kohler. Announcing something as obscure as the “Hush Hush” could be regarded as courageous in the Yes, Minister sense. However, It is selling out on pre-order in some places already, so he has read the market well. It looks superb. I only hope there won’t be any flangeless wheels under the cab, although that hasn’t stopped me ordering one.

It almost looks like there are two sets of flangless wheels under the cab? Looking at both the render and the sample...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had been toying with an apple green W1. Thank goodness I didn’t - wonderful as the model appears to be I think that livery is utterly hideous on it. Battleship grey British Enterprise for me :) 

 

I shall run it alongside my Khaki ‘City’, my LMS red 8F and my Bulleid Pacific with Stanier tender. I’m not one for prototypical accuracy :)

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

They both look beautiful. 

 

I look forward to receiving both my original W1 Hush Hush in Grey  R3841 and Rebuilt R3844. 

 

I love the finished samples of the Centenary Peckett and Evening Star I love how they've replicated the 1971 glossy look on the locomotive. Like my centenary 1983 Pug Smokey Joe which also has the gloss finish!  I also look forward to receiving these aswell! the packaging is stunning also are the cast resin miniature replica of the commemorative plates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the chassis has a v shape channel above the rear most axle. Shows that the loco will be a 4-6-2-2 after all. 

097A45E5-AFCF-4BF3-A3EB-1345FA598100.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.