The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Google - sneaky or what?

spikey

I'm anything but up to speed with this kind of stuff so maybe I'm the last to become aware of it, but just in case I'm not ...

If I go to settings on my Android phone, then down the list to "Google" and click on that, the item at the top of the list is now "COVID-19 exposure notifications".  Nobody asked me if I wanted it on my phone, but at least it seems to be turned off by default.  Don't know if it's the same on an iphone.

Anybody know for sure exactly what's going on?

• Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Interesting. I'd not really paid much attention to how the contact tracing apps worked and assumed they used GPS. As I always have Bluetooth off to save battery they wouldn't do much on my phone 

Edited by Talltim
  • Agree 1

Don't even remember seeing the update!

The only time Bluetooth os active on my phone is when I'm in the car and I switch BT on for handsfree.  So if its active then, it'll only say if the car might have been near to another car...

• Agree 2

It's on my wife's phone, it is switched off by default, she has to activate it.

The fact that this tool works by local storage on the machine rather than the mass central storage planned by HM Government maintains a level of privacy.

All Google and Apple are doing is enabling the tech, you have to also then install an app to bring it to life - all of which is opt in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

We've had a tracing  app running here for the last couple of months. My phone has the COVID notifications listed under google but the APP still has to be downloaded and installed by me.

Which I haven't bothered doing since I don't have bluetooth enabled on my phone, and work won't allow any device with a bluetooth transmitter/receiver onto the premises.

The UK Gov app is not a train wreck. Like all other countries, they have found that Apple software is not compatible,  other countries apps reached the same conclusion. Apple are said to be working on a co-operative with Google to produce a newer app.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It’s a setting which is default turned off. You also have to download the various apps to use before anything will happen.

for my part, I’ll be downloading the app and using it when it becomes available in the U.K. (as I understand things a hybrid between the centralised and decentralised systems is being created which will contain the accuracy and data gathering abilities of the centralised method with the security of the decentralised one) and id encourage everyone else to do it as well. The more data that scientists have, the better.

as for it being a “train wreck”, surely a properly working app is better than one which doesn’t work? And why is it bad that people have admitted a mistake and are trying again? I don’t get the problem myself

Edited by Edge
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, forest2807 said:

Click bait headline.

I noted the text

Meanwhile, officials were looking for glory (and even knighthoods), and ministers were focused on rolling out a “world-beating” app, rather than just a successful one, so that they could claim victory on the world stage. The momentum toward a centralized system became unstoppable—and the challenges of building one were largely brushed aside.

That's an article which isn't based on sound research but is just an opinion.:rolleyes:

• Agree 3

Form what I hear from my (German) employer, there is an app up and running in Germany. It seems a pity that we could not co operate a bit more rather than trying to do our own thing.

To be fair, they are further in the lockdown relaxation process than we are, so we should probably be comparing Germany today against UK on say 1st August, but I expect we will still be lagging behind even on that basis. 

I do suspect though that Germans are more likely to follow instructions on a subject clearly aimed at public welfare, and carry the phone, enable the app, and do whatever else they have to do for it to be effective. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Good, bad, or indifferent, all is wasted if, like me, one does not have a working mobile phone.

I have a working mobile phone. It makes phone calls and even gets text messages.  That's it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not on my I Phone but my sister who lives close by has it , so it’s not because I live in Scotland . I seldom have blue tooth enabled as it drains battery more quickly 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sotto said:

Form what I hear from my (German) employer, there is an app up and running in Germany. It seems a pity that we could not co operate a bit more rather than trying to do our own thing.

Unfortunately we have a government whose stock in trade is the same tired old flag wavy macho rhetoric so they went with the "world beating" app which was obviously deeply flawed from day 1. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Like many others I won’t have Bluetooth enabled because not only does it use a lot of battery power but it’s a security risk. Plus the signal is variable and can’t reliably measure actual device distance. I have also read that unless 80% of users enable the tracing app then it seems it’s worth is negligible. Seems like they have finally woke up to the fact manual track&trace is a better bet overall.

Izzy