Jump to content
We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO


AY Mod
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex DCR Class 56 - we are pleased to announce DCR 56091 “Driver Wayne Gaskell” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range.

 

We are really excited to be able to offer modellers and enthusiasts with an interest in today’s freight scene a model of 56091 in DC Rail livery. Our thanks to DC Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

 

DCR.png.0ccde5f4688f08037f5164c067de655c.png

 

Features of Cavalex DCR 56091:

- Distinctive fabricated cab shape

- Cutaway buffer beam

- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille

- Steel cab and cab side window frames

- Additional air conditioning vent on the second man’s side

- Etched “Driver Wayne Gaskell” name plates

 

Project-56---Web-Template-56091-(s).png.1f1e270fdec6b4823e1dc600f20ebcab.png

 

CM - 56091 – DCR


Hi Cav/Alex,

 

Another fabulous addition to the first batch of 56’s, certainly something for everyone covering the lifespan of the locos. 
 

With this having worked up to Carlisle several times both on freight and driver route learning runs, it’s one I’m about to order.

 

You can place your orders at Rainbow Railways for this latest announcement and all the other options. We are taking a £30 deposit to secure your order but if for any reason between now and release you change your mind there is no problem having this refunded to you.

 

https://rainbowrailways.co.uk/product/cavalex-models-cm-56091-dcr-class-56-56091-in-dc-rail-livery-oo-gauge/

 

Thanks 

Mark

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to see you have reacted to what people have said about present day being absent from your releases (IF the DC and Colas ones weren't planned anyway but not announced at the start). I'm flirting with the Colas one, also with the DC one so I'll probably have at least one now, possibly both once I know the price.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Pleased to see you have reacted to what people have said about present day being absent from your releases (IF the DC and Colas ones weren't planned anyway but not announced at the start). I'm flirting with the Colas one, also with the DC one so I'll probably have at least one now, possibly both once I know the price.

Hi Tom, we always planned on delivering something for the present day modellers but didn't want to be premature before underlining the small print with the rail companies in question. Needless to say they have been very supportive of our project. 

 

As for price the standard model will be sub £200 with an additional charge for our custom factory fitted sound but we will confirm the final price once we have agreed final costs with the factory. 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally very excited about this one!

 

We have it up on our site here (along with the rest of the range) 

https://ultimatemodelrailways.com/products/cavalex-class-56-56091-dc-railfreight-doncaster

 

We also have a bit of stock of first run BBAs which we’re putting on the site shortly. Keep an eye on our instagram for a heads up

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

Cavalex DCR Class 56 - we are pleased to announce DCR 56091 “Driver Wayne Gaskell” as a part of the Cavalex Class 56 range.

 

We are really excited to be able to offer modellers and enthusiasts with an interest in today’s freight scene a model of 56091 in DC Rail livery. Our thanks to DC Rail for their help and for working with us to produce this model.

 

DCR.png.0ccde5f4688f08037f5164c067de655c.png

 

Features of Cavalex DCR 56091:

- Distinctive fabricated cab shape

- Cutaway buffer beam

- Diamond mesh side grilles, cantrail grilles and roof grille

- Steel cab and cab side window frames

- Additional air conditioning vent on the second man’s side

- Etched “Driver Wayne Gaskell” name plates

 

Project-56---Web-Template-56091-(s).png.1f1e270fdec6b4823e1dc600f20ebcab.png

 

CM - 56091 – DCR


Thanks guys, speaking as one of those present day enthusiasts!

This was a very nice surprise and have already put my pre-order in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Wow, didn’t see that one coming, so I’ll definitely be ordering one.  Can I ask, will the nameplate be coming as separate item or will it be attached to the model?  I’d like to try and model it as it was in June 2019, without the nameplate, as per the pictures.

 

If you do another run later on, DCR 56103 would be great as they were usually found working together.

 

 

13339F63-1AA6-4CFF-8665-FF7EB49F2806.jpeg

332F98A9-98F8-4357-9006-F08F6C16F96D.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/09/2021 at 23:49, jools1959 said:

Wow, didn’t see that one coming, so I’ll definitely be ordering one.  Can I ask, will the nameplate be coming as separate item or will it be attached to the model?  I’d like to try and model it as it was in June 2019, without the nameplate, as per the pictures.

 

If you do another run later on, DCR 56103 would be great as they were usually found working together.

 

 

13339F63-1AA6-4CFF-8665-FF7EB49F2806.jpeg

332F98A9-98F8-4357-9006-F08F6C16F96D.jpeg

 

Good morning Jools1959,

 

The nameplates will be supplied in the box as a separate item. Just for information, we also do not plan to print the nameplates on either.

 

Hope that helps.

  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

 

Good morning Jools1959,

 

The nameplates will be supplied in the box as a separate item. Just for information, we also do not plan to print the nameplates on either.

 

Hope that helps.


This is great news! Very pleased to read this :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

 

Good morning Jools1959,

 

The nameplates will be supplied in the box as a separate item. Just for information, we also do not plan to print the nameplates on either.

 

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update regarding the nameplate but can I ask, are there any noticeable differences between 56091 and 56103?  The reason I ask is that I’m tempted to order a second 56091 and renumber it to 56103.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Thanks for the update regarding the nameplate but can I ask, are there any noticeable differences between 56091 and 56103?  The reason I ask is that I’m tempted to order a second 56091 and renumber it to 56103.

I’m having similar thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange that the frequency of 'nearly new' 10 year old Hornby SuperDetail 56's coming onto the market is increasing ...

I think its just a coincidence of course - started once Hornby announced they would do another run, and seemed to increase the rate once Cavalex did.

 

I've ordered one of each - of the new ones.

I hope I can get the fans spinning again on the Hornby one - my EWS one never has a problem in running and looks much better for it I THINK - entitled to my opinion!

 

I keep dipping in, trying to 'win' one of these 'as new' vintage ones, but they still surpass my self-imposed reasonable limit - which I won't exceed (not telling!) despite the new boys on the block.

I always liked the 56 since I first saw it in the sidings near Spaghetti Junction way back when - a beefier looking 47.

 

Al.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steadfast said:

@jools1959 and @adb968008

The noticeable one is that 56103 has additional circular red and yellow decals. I've not looked into things like data panel positions etc. Both have the cabside Aircon grills. 

 

When was the last time a 56 worked a Mendip train?

 

Away they go

The above pics are linked from my Flickr, caption details if you click them.

 

Jo


I’ve scanned my pictures and those on Flickr and as you pointed out, the only major visible difference is the DCR logo, positioned just behind the cab doors. I also noticed a very minor difference, on 56103, the cab door windows have black surrounds, whereas 56091 doesn’t.

 

Number 2, duly ordered :locomotive:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Shoey said:

@jools1959 you’re seriously in my bad books now and have crossed you off my Christmas card list! I really didn’t want confirmation that there was a possibility of renumbering 56091 to 56103 but I’m seriously tempted to order a 2nd 091 aswell :banghead:


Moi :angel:
 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Grimleygrid @RBE Do you know what the lighting configurations are yet please? Are lights independently controlled either end? For example, if 2 locos are running light engine coupled together are you able to turn the lights off at the ends that are coupled together whilst having headlights on the lead loco and tail lights on the trailing loco. Also, if you were to run the locos double heading a train can you have just headlights switched on on the lead loco and have all lights off on the 2nd loco? Hope that makes sense.

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very new to model railwaying and have been following this thread with interest. I do love the class 56 and will definitely be buying one of these as I build up my diesel fleet - have just one Baccy class 37 so far! However I do hope they bring out 56036 in petroleum sector livery. Love the look of a dirty diesel pulling a load of filthy oil wagons!

Edited by Wingman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 14/09/2021 at 22:27, Shoey said:

@Grimleygrid @RBE Do you know what the lighting configurations are yet please? Are lights independently controlled either end? For example, if 2 locos are running light engine coupled together are you able to turn the lights off at the ends that are coupled together whilst having headlights on the lead loco and tail lights on the trailing loco. Also, if you were to run the locos double heading a train can you have just headlights switched on on the lead loco and have all lights off on the 2nd loco? Hope that makes sense.

 All lighting will be independently controlled so all of the configurations that you have listed will be possible. The lights will also be controllable on DC via a removable roof panel.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, IRC said:

Evening all,

I seem to remember there being some discussion on whether these will go round 2nd radius curves. Do we know if that is the case yet please?

 

Good afternoon IRC,

 

The model has been designed to run with third radius curves, however, it may negotiate second radius curves, but we cannot confirm that yet. There is a wealth of detail on the bogies and underframe which potentially could snag whilst operating on second radius curves.
This is something we can advise on in the future once the first samples have been tested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Grimleygrid said:

 

Good afternoon IRC,

 

The model has been designed to run with third radius curves, however, it may negotiate second radius curves, but we cannot confirm that yet. There is a wealth of detail on the bogies and underframe which potentially could snag whilst operating on second radius curves.
This is something we can advise on in the future once the first samples have been tested.

 

Think that rules it out for me . I've got lots of setrack points .   Id really advise that it does negotiate 2nd radius as I think they are a lot of people like me that do have 2nd radius somewhere on the layout . The competing Hornby product does go round second radius , so I really think you are going to restrict the market by not making sure its compatible . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Legend said:

 

Think that rules it out for me . I've got lots of setrack points .   Id really advise that it does negotiate 2nd radius as I think they are a lot of people like me that do have 2nd radius somewhere on the layout . The competing Hornby product does go round second radius , so I really think you are going to restrict the market by not making sure its compatible . 

 

I have to agree. I think it would apply to a lot of other modellers too, myself included. There isn't a circuit on my layout which doesn't include 2nd radius curves and I  wouldn't want to have to severely restrict where a loco can go on my layout even if there was.

 

I would strongly advise making sure it can go round 2nd radius curves comfortably. It would certainly count me out if it can't, which would be a great shame. I like my Hornby 56s (aside from those terrible close-couplings), so any competing product is going to have to be good.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, another plea for you to ensure that this is able to traverse 2nd Radius curves from me. I cancelled a pre-order for the upcoming blue Hornby example and pre-ordered this one. Now I'm worried I could have made a mistake! I really hope not because your version looks epic.

 

I think you are going to severely restrict the number of people able to accommodate the loco if it can't go round 2nd Radius.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...