RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in OO Gauge

sc2016

2 hours ago, slg said:

Just found this picture on the National Railway Museums Twitter page taken in 1965 at Dagenham.

1965 or early 1966? I suspect the latter as there are some Mk.4 Zephyr/Zodiacs on the train. That version was launched in April 1966. Production of Mk.1 Cortinas finished at the Summer production shut down, the lines rebuilt for the Mk.2 that was launched that October.

Edited by BernardTPM

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, slg said:

Just found this picture on the National Railway Museums Twitter page taken in 1965 at Dagenham.

image.png.42f7ae244f76b188ca29c761b33a8f69.png

That's a terrific picture. Actually it's at Barking and taken from the Renwick Road bridge, with the Railhead Depot in the background.

On 12/11/2021 at 20:09, Crepello said:

That's a terrific picture. Actually it's at Barking and taken from the Renwick Road bridge, with the Railhead Depot in the background.

Look at all those lovely Cortinas!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have just found this thread, as I too am very interested in buying several of these, for my yet-to-be built Queenborough layout.

It may help some of you who were asking earlier in the thread about movements, to know that Queenborough (Isle of Sheppey, Kent) sent up to 6 Cartic-4 sets per day (sometimes using Autics instead or as well as), loaded mainly with Toyota cars and vans (on carflats) and Vauxhall Cavaliers, made in Belgium at the time, plus the occasional load of Peugeots, imported through Sheerness docks. This was in the first half of the 1980's and was solely handled by MAT Transauto, who used the fixed, double height loading ramp half way along the old Queenbrough Pier branch. The destinations were mainly Stranraer and Bathgate, but there were the occasional workings elsewhere. They all went via Acton or Willesden and usually up the WCML.

I know the cars/vans moved changed over time, but I left there around 1984/5. There were one or two attempts at exports, but these could not really compete with the operations at Dover and Harwich. It was a fairly inaccessible site, which explains the lack of photos at Queenborough (I just wish I had taken some on my rounds!). But I am surprised at the dearth of photos of these, loaded, on any of the usual websites.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Great photos Paul - thanks, although I am still hoping for pics of them loaded with Toyotas, as I cannot remember the types of cars and vans that were imported then, to get them right on my layout. I know Corollas, Carinas, Celicas etc all existed, but did they all come this way? I also think Datsuns came, but I am not certain.

Hoo used to, reluctantly, hold empties for Dover mainly, even though they had plenty of room, but also for Queenborough, as our yard could fill up quickly if a ship was delayed, or for some other reason (sudden strikes were fairly common). On more than one occasion, I had to divert empties to Sittingbourne loop when it got too much (we had other traffic plus engineers' stock to hold at Queenborough as well at the time), but that could cause problems too, especially if the china clay tanks from France for Bowaters turned up earlier than expected!

Edited by Mike Storey
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 10/12/2021 at 18:15, Mike Harvey said:

With a bit of gentle modification the 3 axle MF Trains double and singledeck autics/comtics might fit well in a Queenborough train.  https://mftrain.com/vagones-portacoches-s4//per-page/30

https://mftrain.com/vagones-portacoches-s4//per-page/30

Thanks for that - interesting. However, I am modelling Queenborough in 00, and already have a large selection of old Electrotren and Roco "Autics"  (as near as I can certainly bear with) - I just need to re-paint and rebrand them into MAT Transauto. The new Cartics will complement them nicely.

On 12/11/2021 at 14:16, Revolution Mike said:

Our understanding (or at least mine!) is that although the Cartics were developed with BR and Ford the majority weren't in Ford blue even those used on Ford trains (possibly only the prototypes which were slightly different anyway).  We've got some of the original paint diagrams and none of them mention Ford blue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, and apologies for taking ages to realise you had responded. 

So will Revolution look to add Ford versions to the preorder list, regardless of the shade of blue? Ford had so many of these in operation- I would have thought it would be a popular choice and broaden the sales opportunities...

Thanks, and all the best.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2021 at 14:53, VXDH92 said:

So will Revolution look to add Ford versions to the preorder list, regardless of the shade of blue? Ford had so many of these in operation- I would have thought it would be a popular choice and broaden the sales opportunities...

Given the delays the diecast car makers experience with getting approval for the use of car makers' stuff, I think it better to make your own blue ovals and attach them to the wagons yourself.  One diecast manufacturer had a number of N models which shared a mould with a Cortina - which delayed their release considerably.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, slg said:

Just come across this on Youtube with a couple of Silcock Express trains hauled by class 85 locos, I especially like the one at 1.40 with the Queen Mary Brakevan in the consist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTZ8n8Gink

:offtopic:

Also, at 4:52, a great row of engineering wagons: different types and liveries, some battered, some newly painted.

2 hours ago, slg said:

Just come across this on Youtube with a couple of Silcock Express trains hauled by class 85 locos, I especially like the one at 1.40 with the Queen Mary Brakevan in the consist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHTZ8n8Gink

Blast from the past!    The station's been rebuilt since then of course

Many's the time I've sat in the car on the roof of a car park in the corner of Railway Terrace, just eating chips and watching the trains go by.  But I never saw a brake van in the middle of a train like that.

29 minutes ago, Crepello said:

The brake vans were full of police ready to nab villains pinching car radios en route from Dagenham. The trains would often stop on the North London Line where the thieves would jump on.

Not just on the NLL, either. One of my old neighbours was a Dolland's Moor driver. One day, he went to pick up his train of Cartics at either Didcot or Hinksey in the small hours. As he walked the length of the train, he heard footsteps from the upper deck. The radio fairies were at work.

• Like 1

A favourite spot for radio thefts was between Kensal Rise and Willesden Junction. Back in the 1970s there were 20 foot high lineside fences at potential access points. Walking the line one day, I realised the futility of the fencing. A football came over on to the lineside from a school playground. Before I could get close to lob it back, a pupil had scaled the chain link fence and was closer to the ball than I was. The chainlink provided perfect footholds for tiny feet..

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2022 at 19:22, Revolution Mike said:

Seems to have been reasonably common with Cartic-4s at one point - a friend was showing me his videos from the 90s on Friday and there was often a brake (QM).

The order book will open when we're happy with the CAD corrections.

Cheers Mike

Not yet happy with the CAD corrections?

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 18:59, Michael Hodgson said:

Blast from the past!    The station's been rebuilt since then of course

Many's the time I've sat in the car on the roof of a car park in the corner of Railway Terrace, just eating chips and watching the trains go by.  But I never saw a brake van in the middle of a train like that.

Car trains are quite a complicated beast, as they have to arrive the right way for unloading.  Also in the case of Exeter - always had a brake van for the propelling move (Between station and Riverside).  The good old days.......  I take it that excluding Motorail - that was as far as automotive traffic got in the south west?