Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

I'd like to see Hornby produce some more engineering stock in 2022.

I'd love to see them do an accurate, highly detailed Plasser 07-16 or 08-16 single car track tamper. I'm sure they'd be very popular as any layout from the 70s onwards could justify one (or two).

Does anyone know what ever happened to the R6463/4/5 ZCA Seahorse and R6469/70/1 ZCA Sea Urchin engineers wagons that Hornby announced back at the time they announced the similar OTA wagon some years ago? I wonder why these wagons got cancelled.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

I expected a Saint to follow the Star when that was introduced as they are closely related

Im Glad it didn’t cause no doubt that would have meant a design clever Saint. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Im Glad it didn’t cause no doubt that would have meant a design clever Saint. 

Given Hornby's penchant for upgrading things only a year or two after they've done them, maybe it's time for an upgrade of the Star!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

35025 Brocklebank Line. Was sad to see it fall apart as it was my first MN. Like with yours the front bogie disintegrated but mine also had the piston rods snap, the chassis around the front bogie snap and the axle slots expanded. Saved the body though...

Phew, that's one I've never had, perhaps surprisingly. 

As lads, we saw the prototype so often that we jokingly developed a theory that there was more than one of them....

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

OK, if a Hornby elf is watching, I’ll chip-in, instead of simply reading this thread periodically as pure entertainment (I do the same when the products are announced, and that thread is even funnier).

Forget all this 00 stuff, and commission some more tinplate replicas of proper, original Hornby 0 gauge. The pre-No.1 tender engine in 2020 didn’t really float my boat, but a No.2 tender engine and pullmans set might, and that has already passed its centenary.

CCD3660C-9ABC-45BA-8BD7-814E44138457.jpeg

Does a Zulu trainset come with Stanley Baker and Micheal Caine action figures?

:jester:

• Funny 7

On 04/01/2022 at 16:02, The Black Hat said:

Still banging on about the need for people to buy things to generate further sales? That would all be perfectly fine but you still fail to acknowledge the fact that the companies including Hornby need to make something that modellers actually want. Hornby have been adept at producing the Thompson A2s and the W1 and P2, as they complete the line up of all the big Eastern express engines. Thus you can have them all and both collectors and modellers going near a mainline will be after them.

Yet as some have mentioned, modelling away from a mainline and you might feel as if not much has been done, but actually the range can now be sourced from more than one company. Move away from GE which has a fair amount and now North Eastern and you see the regional splits that underpin the larger LNE area. But there was little demand shown for GC and GN in polling. Various companies have picked at the popular choices for both GE and NE over time meaning that the range by and large can be covered, although some more will be requested like J21, J25, J69. 

People also forget, that the Q6 was the first regular freight engine to breach the £100 after discount price barrier and that K1 was flooded with releases soon after the first batch. The same hesitancy will be seen after these price increases as people think the same kind of engines were made cheaper before. I can see Kohler moving back to his Southern region interest that proved popular before and a string of regional releases followed, but past that the Southern market is even more split and even smaller in scope for pre-grouping interests. Make one and you do not please them all... much like the Eastern region interest that you insist still needs to buy all to show success. The reverse is clearly not applied, nor used as a benchmark, when 700 Black motors stood on shelves for ages and S15's or West Countries ended up discounted. The demand of these has been met buy the absence of supply overall and while that has gone to such chronic shortage that these are all requested once a gain the forthcoming price rises that will be industry wide will see many baulk at the prospect of buying these. 

If Eastern region modellers must buy every single engine to encourage Hornby, lets see you go and buy something like T3, given your choices and wish-list. After all, all that really matters is that Hornby makes money, so whatever is released must be bought by the Southern modellers to encourage Hornby. It works for you too. 

If you don't buy you don't encourage Hornby  -  that is your choice.

The future is in "your" hands.

Good luck to the Eastern modellers (and to the rest).

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, triggered by a post on another thread, but which should have occurred to me sooner.

Back when Hornby announced their all-new Bulleid Light Pacifics over twenty years ago, they stated the original flat-fronted cab version would be covered, but when the models arrived, the tooling hadn't been designed to make that possible.

I therefore suggest that, on Monday, they may fulfil that long-neglected promise within a retool of the existing model. However, it'll inevitably have a fixed rear truck to annoy those who don't like them....

John    

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rovex said:

Given Hornby's penchant for upgrading things only a year or two after they've done them, maybe it's time for an upgrade of the Star!

The right number of spokes on the bogie and a proper shade of green would be a start.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, A Murphy said:

but a decent quality Saint would be nifty too.......

They appearently did look at it some years back.  But it was killed before birth - reportedly on the grounds that all GWR 4-6-0s look the same (which is of course absolutely true in the case of anybody with poor eyesight) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They appearently did look at it some years back.  But it was killed before birth - reportedly on the grounds that all GWR 4-6-0s look the same (which is of course absolutely true in the case of anybody with poor eyesight) 

They certainly all sound the same.

:D

They all fail the same if the coal isnt right

and Warner Brothers were confused enough to think a Castle is a Hall…. Though even then they chose the right livery.

Tin hat securely fitted, and hunkered down…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 04/01/2022 at 13:24, AY Mod said:

Oh go on then...

Cat_Picture1.jpg

It's definitely different; we'll see who's been fed a line next week then. Wonder if the inside's different too? ;)

If you stand a mile away you can sort of still thankfully not make out what is featured on the cover! :laugh: Honestly Andy I would hate to already know the 2022 range. But obviously you have to know in advanced! Even if were were sent official emails from Hornby with blurred images seriously I'd delete it without opening it and I hate sneaky previews etc it ruins the build up! I would still await for their offical announcement date! It really is an annual occasion to look forward to. I didn't like it in the past when their previous year range announcements were announced midnight on New Years Day! So thankfully it's now a week or two after and I hope it stays this way! Finally it really has become well for me a marked occasion penciled in on calendars for the announcement date the later the better! Which adds to the excitement etc across all the Hornby Hobbies brands! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2022 at 02:24, AY Mod said:

Oh go on then...

Cat_Picture1.jpg

It's definitely different; we'll see who's been fed a line next week then. Wonder if the inside's different too? ;)

That looks like it could be a 91 to me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

Does anyone know what ever happened to the R6463/4/5 ZCA Seahorse and R6469/70/1 ZCA Sea Urchin engineers wagons that Hornby announced back at the time they announced the similar OTA wagon some years ago? I wonder why these wagons got cancelled.

It was something along the lines of too many differences and uneconomic to tool. It's fairly obvious the subject wasn't understood when they were announced as what was being proposed as the Seahorse was from images actually an ex OBA Sea Urchin and the Sea Urchin itself was ex VDA. Would have needed two new suites of tooling as little would have transferred across from either of the OTA types.

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll have a guess at the badger in gner livery for the front cover. 

Given Hornby's love of having a go with new technology to try and entice younger modellers I will go with new Hornby augmented reality glasses. Look at Hornby brand platforms and buildings and you can see people moving. Cars driving around, that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Rather like all those LNER Pacific's they've made then  (A4s excepted)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

14 hours ago, phil gollin said:

If you don't buy you don't encourage Hornby  -  that is your choice.

The future is in "your" hands.

Good luck to the Eastern modellers (and to the rest).

Clearly still missing the point though. Why should you buy an engine that you don't want even if its within your own grouping region? Surely that just encourages Hornby to go and pursue similar engines from the same area, which would be a fallacy on the part of Hornby and rather than lead to better sales and profitability it would increase risk. 

My posts previously were that North Eastern stuff was wanted and there were many ways of showing that, whether that be polls, gaps in the range and market and the plethora of stock available to model the grouping and BR standards needed in the popular BR transition period. Why would I then go and buy a GC loco which never ever managed to poll as highly as North Eastern or Great Eastern choices as it was these two latter areas that dominated the data. Look at the locomotive selections for my home area interest across the range as mentioned before, the Q6, K1, J27, J72 and G5 are all done or in progress. That leaves B16, and J21/25...  

Strong sales of engines that are wanted, with demand ready are the choices that Hornby and others need to be doing. Hence North Eastern selections being chosen. Yes the future is in 'our' hands but only if the companies make stock that is actually wanted. Then once these are done, choices in every region start to get more and more niche so that finally whats left will match the demand and popularity of some areas that are yet to be modelled. That's when other areas will get a chance at something, for which I do feel for some yearning for their more niche interests. Yet, there needs to be a balance between demand, nice and profitability and that's where some choices fail to be selected, but we then cant risk Hornby or others being around at all merely because we would like them to make a model and risk their profitability or sustainability. 

So, with all that in mind, are you still getting that T3, if Hornby choose to make that? That's your choice. The future is in "your" hands. 

Good luck to the Southern Modellers (and to the rest). 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose I can see where Phil comes from . I bought the Hornby J36 not because I absolutely needed one but because I thought it might stimulate Hornby to make more Scottish locos . its an attractive little engine that runs well for me so much so that I ended up with all three !  Bought at different times , the most expensive was Maude at £125 I think the others were sub £100.   As models are heading £220-£250 I think people will be much more discerning . 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 24/12/2021 at 19:13, scouse889 said:

Ooooh, are we wishlisting and speculating again?

Well, on the 12th day of January (or thereabouts) I think/wish* (delete as applicable) Simon Kohler will have gave to me: 12 Flying Scotsman’s, 11 brand new Peckett’s, 10 cheap 66s, 9 delayed 2021 models, 8 pin DCC sockets, 7 car APT train pack (without capacitors), 6 reliveried models, 5 new Playtrains things, 4 (-6-2) Pacific locos, 3 car EMU, 2 car DMU, and a dodgy livery application on a (slightly retooled) HST. I think that about covers it…??! Merry Christmas to all!! :locomotive:

Sorry, late to this thread.

Congratulations, Scouse889, Sir; the first post I've ever sung (in my head) rather than read!  Mind you, speaking of heads, I'll have that tune in it all day now!!  Just off to listen to the Pentatonix version now...

Steve.

• Funny 4

53 minutes ago, Legend said:

I suppose I can see where Phil comes from . I bought the Hornby J36 not because I absolutely needed one but because I thought it might stimulate Hornby to make more Scottish locos . its an attractive little engine that runs well for me so much so that I ended up with all three !  Bought at different times , the most expensive was Maude at £125 I think the others were sub £100.   As models are heading £220-£250 I think people will be much more discerning . 

I can see where Phil is coming from too. If you go and buy a J36 you want Hornby to go and make more Eastern region 0-6-0 engines and hope that they see the polling data for things such as J27 or J21 - that when looking at trends these were growing significantly and were matching or even beating some engines that have been selected for production. There will always be an element that like to get a new engine, even if its something that comes from further away and was 'visiting' or just happens to have made it. Yet, this could set you on a course of more Scottish stuff instead, so do you keep buying that in the hope that they then model something for different area. How much do you buy of stuff you don't actually want in the hope that they actually take notice of the true trends underneath it all? 

Thus is it not easier to buy an engine you do want, in strength so that it is a good seller and thus shows the true intent of the market that should in turn match the data and polling that was already there to be seen. I would advocate yes... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

Clearly still missing the point though. Why should you buy an engine that you don't want even if its within your own grouping region? Surely that just encourages Hornby to go and pursue similar engines from the same area, which would be a fallacy on the part of Hornby and rather than lead to better sales and profitability it would increase risk. 

My posts previously were that North Eastern stuff was wanted and there were many ways of showing that, whether that be polls, gaps in the range and market and the plethora of stock available to model the grouping and BR standards needed in the popular BR transition period. Why would I then go and buy a GC loco which never ever managed to poll as highly as North Eastern or Great Eastern choices as it was these two latter areas that dominated the data. Look at the locomotive selections for my home area interest across the range as mentioned before, the Q6, K1, J27, J72 and G5 are all done or in progress. That leaves B16, and J21/25...  

Strong sales of engines that are wanted, with demand ready are the choices that Hornby and others need to be doing. Hence North Eastern selections being chosen. Yes the future is in 'our' hands but only if the companies make stock that is actually wanted. Then once these are done, choices in every region start to get more and more niche so that finally whats left will match the demand and popularity of some areas that are yet to be modelled. That's when other areas will get a chance at something, for which I do feel for some yearning for their more niche interests. Yet, there needs to be a balance between demand, nice and profitability and that's where some choices fail to be selected, but we then cant risk Hornby or others being around at all merely because we would like them to make a model and risk their profitability or sustainability. 

So, with all that in mind, are you still getting that T3, if Hornby choose to make that? That's your choice. The future is in "your" hands. 

Good luck to the Southern Modellers (and to the rest). 

Hornby's Southern preferences favour SR and LSWR prototypes, as do mine.

Bachmann's favour LBSCR and SECR prototypes.

I therefore "encourage" Hornby quite vigorously where SR locos are concerned, Bachmann less so, but they make more BR standards, so it probably evens out. :)

Do you mean an LSWR T3 or the NER sort? BTW, LNER Pacifics don't even get noticed here.:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1