Peterborough North

great northern

Another Geordie - brill!

I'm just waiting for someone to tackle Newcastle Central in the same vein as Gilbert has done Peterborough!

I'm taken with that B17 still, and I 'don't like them'!  each time I see it, it eats a little further into my reserve...

Thanks, Neil. I tried to do a multi-quote reply to everyone but got in such a mess I gave up.

Regarding the area, Heaton Junction (just called Heaton) station is interesting. Four-track mainline with a handy over-track wooden station-building. Busy with EMUs or DMUs for the coastal loop, plus all ECML, light-locos from Heaton Sheds, V1s running carriages to Central, plus mixed goods and domestic coal (in Heaton yard) etc.

Thanks for the welcome gents. :imsohappy:  Tony.

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

Don't expect any updates from Gilbert any time soon, he left Ancaster with a baker's dozen (he doesn't like 13) of new cassettes yesterday so he's probably to be found rummaging through his collection of rolling stock  or logging into Hatton's web site to fill them. He has come up with a good storage system however and certainly worthy of consideration by anybody who has more stock than storage track capacity, I'm not likely to fall into that category any time soon but I'm sure given time and my state pension looming I'll have to buy the wonderful new coaches and wagons currently being offered. 

Dave

• Like 1

Don't expect any updates from Gilbert any time soon, he left Ancaster with a baker's dozen (he doesn't like 13) of new cassettes yesterday 

I hope some of them don't have solid ends! I was worried about his piggy bank if his goods train cassettes could only be used in one direction....

Andy

:devil:

• Like 1

Thanks, Neil. I tried to do a multi-quote reply to everyone but got in such a mess I gave up.

Regarding the area, Heaton Junction (just called Heaton) station is interesting. Four-track mainline with a handy over-track wooden station-building. Busy with EMUs or DMUs for the coastal loop, plus all ECML, light-locos from Heaton Sheds, V1s running carriages to Central, plus mixed goods and domestic coal (in Heaton yard) etc.

Thanks for the welcome gents. :imsohappy:  Tony.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/sets/72157615325576750/

This might be of interest.

• Like 4

That's a wonderful set of pictures, Fat Controller. I've been seeking photos of Heaton for a ages, but all I have are the usual Station building/platform awnings shots, from middle-distance. Your pics really brought back memories. The detail will be very useful in my Heaton-inspired layout which is in very early days.

Thanks again. Tony.

That's a wonderful set of pictures, Fat Controller. I've been seeking photos of Heaton for a ages, but all I have are the usual Station building/platform awnings shots, from middle-distance. Your pics really brought back memories. The detail will be very useful in my Heaton-inspired layout which is in very early days.

Thanks again. Tony.

Glad to have pointed you towards these excellent shots  on Robert's site. In the period between selling our house in Clara Vale, and moving to Kent, I lived at a friend's house in Heaton Grove (this was 1991). By this point, it was difficult to find any vestiges of the station, apart from parts of the platform- these would disappear that summer, as electrification progressed.

Here's a link to the relevant Google Map aerial photo, unusually taken at a slight angle, rather from directly above:-

http://goo.gl/maps/zQmGo

One end of the bridge carrying the station was roughly where the silver and red cars are parked. Though the platforms have long gone, the tracks are still slewed to accomodate them.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I used the coastal loop for a few trips to/from Whitley Bay in the early 60s when the electrics were still running. I was quite young; can't remember the electrics at all apart from now having seen loads of pics on RMWeb. Couldn't afford a camera at that time! However, I can remember how elegant most of the stations were on these lines, but so run down. About 15 years back I took a ride on the T & W Metro, including around to W Bay and then to N Shields (ferry then to S Shields and then Metro back to Central).Is it North Shields that has that magnificent roof and huge platform area which was being used for an art installation at the time?

Brass0four, if you need an ES1 kit I have one partly built that is now redundant as far as I'm concerned. PM me.

P

• Like 1

I used the coastal loop for a few trips to/from Whitley Bay in the early 60s when the electrics were still running. I was quite young; can't remember the electrics at all apart from now having seen loads of pics on RMWeb. Couldn't afford a camera at that time! However, I can remember how elegant most of the stations were on these lines, but so run down. About 15 years back I took a ride on the T & W Metro, including around to W Bay and then to N Shields (ferry then to S Shields and then Metro back to Central).Is it North Shields that has that magnificent roof and huge platform area which was being used for an art installation at the time?

Brass0four, if you need an ES1 kit I have one partly built that is now redundant as far as I'm concerned. PM me.

P

I think it was Tynemouth that retained the overall roof, and used it to host a Sunday antiques and craft markets.

• Like 1

I hope some of them don't have solid ends! I was worried about his piggy bank if his goods train cassettes could only be used in one direction....

Andy

:devil:

Andy

No solid ends on any of them and the concept of 'ringing the changes' in train appearance by shuffling three cassettes is another simple but very effective idea and another advantage over fixed rakes in storage loops.

The sun is shining it's Tour de France month so I'm off for a fitness bike ride when I can contemplate new modelling ideas.

Dave

Edited by tetleys
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually, if there isn't a lot of room for loads of storage loops on a layout, the 'multi storey' method of cassettes could be useful. However, I'd be struggling with 12 coach rakes in a cassette (should I ever be so lucky as to have a layout that could accommodate 12 coach rakes :superstition: ). There must be a solution (and don't say use 'Klear'..... :rtfm: )

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

(Lack of) progress report. A baker's dozen cassettes sitting on the hall carpet, awaiting trestles for them to sit on. Said trestles acquired during an early morning shopping foray, now I just need some spanners to put them together. However, as something like summer has appeared I shall now go and make up for all the golf played in the cold and wind, oh and rain, nearly forgot that, which has been the norm so far this year. Only a couple of balls went sideways yesterday, so things may improve, but not necessarily.

As that guru of the goods train Jonathan Wealleans is visiting tomorrow, I may make an effort later to get on with things. Alternatively, I may sit outside at the golf club with an ice cold drink of some kind close at hand. I'm sure I have some spanners somewhere..... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually, if there isn't a lot of room for loads of storage loops on a layout, the 'multi storey' method of cassettes could be useful. However, I'd be struggling with 12 coach rakes in a cassette (should I ever be so lucky as to have a layout that could accommodate 12 coach rakes :superstition: ). There must be a solutuon (and don't say use 'Klear'..... :rtfm: )

Quack.

I share your views Phil, there are limits where cassettes are concerned. In my case two per train will be that limit, as I suspect that having to get three up from the rack each time, and do the same in reverse just to run one train would dampen my enthusiasm considerably. For that reason eight coach trains will be the limit, two four foot cassettes, trains longer than that will still live in the fiddle yard.

The system will really prove its worth though I think in two ways. First one is the ability to make trains look different with only a little effort, and not too much cost. Three cassettes of loaded minerals which can be turned end for end will effectively allow six coal trians which appear to be different. I also intend to have a number of short units, holding only two or three coaches. They will form the core of four and five coach local trains, and will be topped and tailed by brakes as necessary. A spur near to the cassette road will hold a number of brakes, as I finally worked out that five coach cassettes each containing two brakes would come out a lot more expensive. The same will apply to guard's vans.

Then I just need to work out what to do with the extra roads freed up in the fiddle yard.

• Like 1

I think it was Tynemouth that retained the overall roof, and used it to host a Sunday antiques and craft markets.

It is Tynemouth which is wonderfully restored - apart from the wrong colour paint!

I should really start a layout thread, but - signs of age - health issues now dominate. My work has been stuck for months!  :cry: lol!

Apart from the wrong colour paint (didn't know that!) Tynemouth station looks brilliant now. Market/craft/antiques fair runs every Sat and Sun, always good for a mooch about!

Anyways, Gilbert I just wanted to say thanks for a super article in Model Rail about coach formations. Very informative!

Thanks

Al

Edited by Bettys Husband

Apart from the wrong colour paint (didn't know that!) Tynemouth station looks brilliant now. Market/craft/antiques fair runs every Sat and Sun, always good for a mooch about!

Anyways, Gilbert I just wanted to say thanks for a super article in Model Rail about coach formations. Very informative!

Thanks

Al

Ooh, can I be the first to second that? What with your article GN and the recent Banks/Carter LNER/ER coaching stock formations tome (which I was lucky enough to recently acquire) there is currently an embarrassment of riches to those seeking to get their ECML rakes correctly marshalled. Alas, the double edge of the sword cruelly exposes how many different types of vehicle one needs to get things anywhere near accurate! An RTR Gresley Restaurant First would be a great start...(sigh!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, can I be the first to second that? What with your article GN and the recent Banks/Carter LNER/ER coaching stock formations tome (which I was lucky enough to recently acquire) there is currently an embarrassment of riches to those seeking to get their ECML rakes correctly marshalled. Alas, the double edge of the sword cruelly exposes how many different types of vehicle one needs to get things anywhere near accurate! An RTR Gresley Restaurant First would be a great start...(sigh!)

Yes, the more information that becomes available, blissful ignorance is replaced by a desire to do better, and shortly thereafter  by considerable frustration. At least I have a possible plan B, as I can use Mk1's, but of course that isn't the case for you, so it must be doubly frustrating. Even the kit side of things isn't much better, as leaving aside Kirk kits and the Comet triplet set, the only Gresley RC available is the MJT one, and that is an early Dia 10 example.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see that accuracy in train formations is becoming more sought after.  I can't lay any claim to managing it personally, but it's an interesting field of study and can add a whole new dimension to you rmodelling as Gilbert is showing.  I expect he's sorry he started on goods trains, though....

Anyway, all being well he's been off spoiling a good walk so if he doesn't mind I thought I'd drop in the results of some hanging over the railing from the Midland lines round PN at the weekend.  He may have to fill in the details of the services - as an inexperienced spotter I didn't write any of it down and I missed some of the trains while faffing about with the camera or chatting.

pn_1_zps0353fe5a.jpg

This A5 came in from Lincoln or somewhere over that way. I recall the driver having a bit of a problem stopping it.

pn_2_zpseb0ef36e.jpg

The south end pilot wasn't terribly busy all the time I was hanging around.

pn_3_zps941d636a.jpg

Bit of an attempt at an arty shot. The paraphernalia which is starting to appear is really enhancing the whole scene.

pn_4_zpsde00f790.jpg

I think this B1 was off to Cleethorpes. By the state of it it might be lucky to get there.

pn_5_zpsfad8b6bc.jpg

This footballer stood at the north end the whole time I was watching. I don't know if it was waiting for a fitter from New England or a temporary main line pilot as the usual V2 seemed to be hemmed in with wagons.

pn_6_zps5a14359c.jpg

The bobby kept looking suspiciously across at me but I think he was too busy to do anything about it.

pn_7_zpsdae57a57.jpg

My camera isn't really up to doing a vista of the whole complex but this view down platform 6 really appealed...

pn_8_zps7ce26318.jpg

... and was only enhanced by this beauty which even manages to look dignified on what I think was the PN - PE shuttle.

I managed to miss 'Ermit' off up to Lunnon and a J3 which beetled through on a transfer freight while my back was turned.

You do have to see the whole thing to appreciate what Peter has achieved with the buildings, it really is magnificent. Now attention is focussing in on smaller and smaller features the whole thing is developing a depth which I suppose only those who remember the real thing can fully appreciate. I had a thoroughly enjoyable day in Gilbert's company and thank him wholeheartedly.

Thanks to you too Jonathan, the spanners were a great help, as was your putting together the other two trestles. A really enjoyable day, which passed all too quickly.

As to captions, the A5 was on a Grantham - Peterborough local, though it was a Boston engine. I do have a photo though of 69808 climbing Stoke Bank with just such a train, so that is my justification. It could just as easily have been an A4 though, as Pacifics were used on these trains just to get them in place for their next duty. It's one of the reasons I chose 1958, as that was the last  summer before all the intermadiate stations closed and such lovely oddities became a thing of the past.

Now I did ask you not to publicise that B1, for two reasons, the main one being that I picked up the wrong engine, this one being very shabby and confined to local duties. Having made that mistake I was too idle to change the class B lamps to the correct Class A.

Huddersfield Town was waiting to take a train down to East station, and possibly beyond. I have a good number of photos of B17's, and B12's and D16's too parked up by the water tower, which gives me a chance always to have a very nice engine to look at.

Thanks too for featuring Champion Lodge, which will hopefully soften the resolve of New Haven Neil a bit further. :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If 61143 did get to Cleethorpes it might, of course, not get back again (sea air and all that.......nowt to do with nicking stuff).

Great to see some more PN action JW - thanks.

By the way, is everyone enjoying my celebrations?

Quack.

I did ask you not to publicise that B1

Whoops - sorry.  You could always photoshop the lamps.  TBH it doesn't look as if that lamp will make it to Cleethorpes either.

That raised a thought I'm not sure I've had in this thread before (although in 167 pages it's not impossible we've already been here) - do you replace the lamp irons on your locos or use the supplied/scale ones?  If the latter, what size hole do you drill in the lamps and do you find a problem with popping the crystals out with the drill?  I replace all mine with .5 wire, flattened in a pair of pliers and then drill .75 holes in the lamps and shove a spot of blutak in with a cocktail stick.  I do have some with bigger holes for the kitbuilt locos with 'proper' lamp irons on but many of them have lost the crystals when I've made the 1mm or larger hole in them.

• RMweb Premium

I've just realised to my amazement that this is my first "free" day for a fortnight. I'm not complaining mind - I've spent a lot of quality time with modelling friends and visitors.and wasted a lot more on golf courses. FORE RiGHT :sarcastichand: !!! Even that's not so bad when the weather is like this, lovely scenery you know.

Anyway, a few things have moved on, including cassette storage.post-98-0-30723700-1373381914_thumb.jpg

First trestle in place, and partially loaded. Has to go this way round in order for there to be adequate support for 4ft cassettes. The jury is still out on those I have put in at floor level. I'll have to see how easy, or not, they are to get in or out.

post-98-0-65774900-1373382098_thumb.jpg

This level works fine, and takes six cassettes.

post-98-0-37008200-1373382179_thumb.jpg

Here's where the other trestles should go. I do have another sheet of MDF, but I need to cut it down in order for it to fit.

post-98-0-01441800-1373383147_thumb.jpg

Somehow things have got out of order. this is just a view from the left side to show how the cassettes are supported. I shall now post this and start another section, as strange things are happening. :scratchhead:

post-98-0-75887100-1373382897_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If at first you don't succeed..........

post-98-0-07801700-1373383417_thumb.jpg

More cassettes waiting to be filled and installed. Contrary to Mr Shakespeare's assertions I already have the stock to fill them. Well, most of it anyway.

All of this exciting new development started me thinking. This corner at the North end presently houses a number of short local trains, but they are ideal for cassettes.post-98-0-76598500-1373383542_thumb.jpg

So, if to cassettes they go, I can move into there the locos that up to now have occupied the spurs behind where the cassette road now is. And that in turn means that the spurs vacated, which are conveniently right behind where the cassettes will be placed, can be used to store both brake coaches and brake vans.

post-98-0-60441100-1373383844_thumb.jpg

Which will mean a considerable saving in the numbers I need. They will just be rolled on to the road before and after the "core" cassettes, to form four and five coach rakes, which then of course can be varied as well. Even after all the pre planning I did, it is fascinating to see how things are developing and I hope improving as time passes.

And now to further "help" Neil. Ooh look, there are two of them now. :O

post-98-0-40380500-1373384066_thumb.jpg

And then there were three.... :devil:

post-98-0-40300200-1373384207_thumb.jpg

Becoming more irresistible? :jester:

• Like 10

That raised a thought I'm not sure I've had in this thread before (although in 167 pages it's not impossible we've already been here) - do you replace the lamp irons on your locos or use the supplied/scale ones?  If the latter, what size hole do you drill in the lamps and do you find a problem with popping the crystals out with the drill?  I replace all mine with .5 wire, flattened in a pair of pliers and then drill .75 holes in the lamps and shove a spot of blutak in with a cocktail stick.  I do have some with bigger holes for the kitbuilt locos with 'proper' lamp irons on but many of them have lost the crystals when I've made the 1mm or larger hole in them.

By spooky coincidence, I have just posted on the subject of headlamps on Grantham. Might be of some interest...

Sorry GN! The three footballers look... indulgent!

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Gold

Popped into NRM only yesterday Mr Drake. Very impressive. Even had a go in the amusing simulator which was... amusing!

And does this mean that said Mr drake is the only RMweb member to be, er, simulated? :O 

Sorry for the interruption Gilbert but good to to see you're not out on the golf course exposing yourself to all that dangerous sunshine and are spending your time productively.  But how do you make sure you withdraw the cassettes without things rolling off them?