Peterborough North

great northern

Erm, well actually Phil......attachicon.gifstorm 1.jpg

The pond nearly joined me in my lounge a little while ago.attachicon.gifstorm 3.jpg

I can't remember anything as bad as this, both in intensity and in the time it lasted. Those two are of my back garden, and here is the view from the front.attachicon.gifstorm 4 jjpg.jpg

The other side of those railings was a grassed area- now it is a lake.attachicon.gifstorm 5.jpg

And here is the river which has replaced the road, and my drive. During this we got hailstones so big that they triggered the alarm sensors on my patio doors. The most frightening thing is that we were on the edge of this, all the thunder and lightning was further away. When I could finally open a window, the sound of thunder to the North was just continuous. It sounded like an artillery barrage, and in all my life I have never heard anything to compare with that. We are on top of a hill here, so goodness knows what is happening to people who live down by the Trent, which is where the worst of it seems to be going. It's heading North East folks, so I hope no-one is in the firing line.

We had a bad do on Tyneside during the early hours of the morning. Thunder 'n lightening doesn't bother me too much (fingersXd) but the HAIL! I rose from bed and checked the backyard. Hailstones the size of peas - BIG peas! And the racket from the landing skylight sounded like gravel was being dumped on it. Worst hail I've known. It would have been dreadful to be caught out in the open...

Tony.

Woke up hearing continuous thunder in North Wales........Blasted neighbour taking his weelie bin for a walk! Anyway I got up and mowed all the lawns and trimmed the hedge and waited and waited and waited for rain. Still waiting tonight......Thanks BBC weather forecast. TV would have been on safer ground with a Level 3 royal baby warning....

• RMweb Premium

Woke up hearing continuous thunder in North Wales........Blasted neighbour taking his weelie bin for a walk! Anyway I got up and mowed all the lawns and trimmed the hedge and waited and waited and waited for rain. Still waiting tonight......Thanks BBC weather forecast. TV would have been on safer ground with a Level 3 royal baby warning....

Apparently we got 2.68 inches of rain in half an hour yesterday evening. That's about one tenth of the annual average. :O  I'm sure you will get your fair share soon Larry, though my memories of family holidays suggest that it was South Wales where we got most of the rain, while Criccieth was generally quite dry.

• RMweb Premium

I got up and mowed all the lawns and trimmed the hedge and waited and waited and waited for rain. Still waiting tonight......Thanks BBC weather forecast. 

We're coming up for a holiday in Prestatyn a week on Sunday so it'll all come then like as not...!

• RMweb Premium

Lawyers acting on behalf of the artists known as Great Northern and Coachmann have released the following statement.

" We wish to make it clear that neither of our clients accepts any liability for dampness or worse sustained by anyone visiting Wales. Any claim for ruined holidays, reactive depression or any other alleged loss or suffering will be vigorously defended." :rtfm:

• RMweb Premium

A good day so far. Local firm turned up on time to assess the joinery job, very helpful, can and will do, so I'm now just waiting for the estimate. Nice solid cabinet on wheels, and room for 48 cassettes. :O  That should really get the suggestions for extra trains flowing. The book by Robin McKenzie that was recommended for my back problem arrived the other day, and I'm now into exercises eight times a day. As the song says " I do believe its working, good!" Short competition- title of song and group please? A lumbar roll also turned up a few minutes ago, so the lordosis should improve even more. I'm hopeful, and its a lot cheaper than physio too. And having seen on the news what that storm did to some poor people, I'm busy counting my blessings too.

Amongst all this, I also find that I'm really keen to run trains at the moment, so the sequence moves on apace. Here are a few more shots of comings and goings, not very good I'm afraid, as the light is very strong again, and those nasty little spots keep appearing in the middle of photos. In fairness, I was asking a lot of the camera, as most of these were taken contre jour. We start with a loco you haven't seen before.....sort of. 60111 has featured in the form of a DJH based model, but it was pointed out to me that it was wrong for my period in more than one respect, so a Hornby replacement has been given the Tim treatment, and here she is. The train is the 5.35pm Down Newcastle, obviously a favourite with businessmen returning North, as it has a very high proportion of first class accomodation. A bit surprising really, as the Tees - Tyne Pullman ran less than an hour earlier, and I'd have thought that would have satisfied the demand. Never mind, here is 60111 at rest at the North end of Platform 3.post-98-0-54258600-1374679632_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-65797700-1374679669_thumb.jpg

I do like  shots under the roof, but this one doesn't come off I'm afraid. I haven't mastered the zoom feature, how do I get objects miles away pin sharp, but the stuff I want to be sharp horribly blurred? Even doing it in black and white doesn't improve it much if at all.

post-98-0-47956300-1374680058_thumb.jpg

The following train was the 5.00pm from Kings Cross, famous for being double headed as far as Hitchin. The Cambridge portion has long been detached though, and as usual a local Thompson Pacific is rostered for a duty which a B1 could handle comfortably.

post-98-0-01714000-1374679882_thumb.jpg

I can however rely on this camera angle to produce decent results, so here is 60505 at the end of its journey.

post-98-0-59722500-1374680264_thumb.jpg

That's all for now, tomorrow Golfbert takes over.

• Like 17

Gilbert - the zoom-and-lack-of-sharpness-close-up issue could be tied to one of the G-series quirks, that they are not able to focus on close objects when zoomed in.   They are great all rounders, but I do find with mine that even with the macro activated (the little flower icon, for close up work) there are times I need to be >50cm away from my subject before the head up display gives me a "target locked" indication.

Zooming out a touch, or moving back a bit, is the work around.

Cheers

S

In those days the grass was greener, the light was brighter, the taste was sweeter, the nights of wonder...

From somewhere further south on the ECML...

Keep up the good work!

Oh... brought a tear to the eye (and the memory of a Vespa GT's rasp around the North circular)

Sorry Gilbert. Just a new boy, and tangling threads already :( ;-)

• RMweb Premium

G, great to hear that some local artisans have agreed to sort your storage. Did they like the layout? I bet they were quietly impressed? Did they ask questions?

I suppose you heard that your 'storm' moved up and over Southwell and almost flushed/blew it away; poor souls.

I think it missed 36E by a few miles to the east, but as I don't get out east that much I can't confirm if Gainsborougfh is still standing.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that for some strange reason I rather like the face of 60505 beaming out from under the canopy; great pic - quite sinister (not in the Roman sense).

Quack

• RMweb Premium

Oh... brought a tear to the eye (and the memory of a Vespa GT's rasp around the North circular)

Sorry Gilbert. Just a new boy, and tangling threads already :( ;-)

No problem, I started it!  Anyway this thread does have a habit of meandering gently off topic now and again, and long may that continue. No news about babies though please. :no: :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

G, great to hear that some local artisans have agreed to sort your storage. Did they like the layout? I bet they were quietly impressed? Did they ask questions?

I suppose you heard that your 'storm' moved up and over Southwell and almost flushed/blew it away; poor souls.

I think it missed 36E by a few miles to the east, but as I don't get out east that much I can't confirm if Gainsborougfh is still standing.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that for some strange reason I rather like the face of 60505 beaming out from under the canopy; great pic - quite sinister (not in the Roman sense).

Quack

Didn't ask questions Phil, but did say that they had recently done some removeable baseboards for someone who lives within a mile of me. The storm, as I feared, caused havoc in all the villages along the Trent, as well as Southwell. Lots of flooding in Nottingham too.

Hi Gilbert

I found an interesting photo for sale in EBay a few days ago, i have just checked today and it's not there so it must have been sold.

It showed A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia standing in the shed yard at Peterborough North in the late 1950's.

I wonder what it was doing there, it did not have a head board, so it could have possibly failed on the Elizabethen.

Regards

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I found an interesting photo for sale in EBay a few days ago, i have just checked today and it's not there so it must have been sold.

It showed A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia standing in the shed yard at Peterborough North in the late 1950's.

I wonder what it was doing there, it did not have a head board, so it could have possibly failed on the Elizabethen.

Regards

David

The loco was ex works August 1958 David, and after running in did work the Elizabethan for most of the rest of the season.  Could have been either a running in turn or a failure I suppose. Railway Observer shows Golden Plover working the early evening Peterborough - KX stopper in mid August'58, and says it would have been running in after minor repairs at Top Shed while on Elizabethan duties, so that is another possibility I suppose. Things like that never happened while I was spotting though.

• Like 1

Anyway this thread does have a habit of meandering gently off topic now and again, and long may that continue. No news about babies though please. :no: :threaten:

I won't mention Baby Scots and Baby Deltics then, not that you would see the latter at Peterborough I presume....

• RMweb Premium

I won't mention Baby Scots and Baby Deltics then, not that you would see the latter at Peterborough I presume....

As originally delivered the Baby Deltics struggled to get as far as Hitchin Larry, so Peterborough would have been a real challenge. Having said that, they made frequent trips back to EE for attention, so I suppose they would have come through, either light or being towed.

As originally delivered the Baby Deltics struggled to get as far as Hitchin Larry, so Peterborough would have been a real challenge. Having said that, they made frequent trips back to EE for attention, so I suppose they would have come through, either light or being towed.

When staying with mum at St.Albans in late 1960, I called in at Kings X station wondering if i would see any Diesels....... I didn't though, not even the Baby Deltics, (but Thompson A2/3's were a sight to behold).  New motive power coming on stream in and around Manchester had started a minor interest in Diesels culminating in photing a brandnew Deltic at York. The interest didn't last, and with so many chnages taking place on BR at the time, even steam could not hold my interest after 1965. So I toddled off to look at buses seeing as many old Half-Cabs were being withdrawn and had achieved nostalgia status!

• Like 1