Peterborough North

great northern

Having examined the system in the flesh I can answer that.  There are hand-crafted bespoke chocks of finest foam rubber inserted into each end to prevent egress.

You can see them in the first few photos.

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Premium

By spooky coincidence, I have just posted on the subject of headlamps on Grantham. Might be of some interested...

Sorry GN! The three footballers look... indulgent!

Yes, I noticed that....very spooky.  I also use the Springside lamps, which I drill out using the smallest size which will allow them to actually fit on a lamp iron without popping the crystals out. Like Jonathan, I don't always succeed. I find that on nearly all RTR locos it isn't possible to fit them on the top iron, so they have to be secured with a small blob of blu tack or tacky wax, which accounts for the drunken angle they manage to adopt when I'm not looking, as evidenced by the B1 above.

As to the B17's. Indulgent, never. :O Restrained is the word.

• RMweb Premium

If 61143 did get to Cleethorpes it might, of course, not get back again (sea air and all that.......nowt to do with nicking stuff).

Great to see some more PN action JW - thanks.

By the way, is everyone enjoying my celebrations?

Quack.

It was an Immingham engine Phil, so would spend a lot of time in the bracing environment of the Humber Estuary.

• RMweb Premium

And does this mean that said Mr drake is the only RMweb member to be, er, simulated? :O 

Sorry for the interruption Gilbert but good to to see you're not out on the golf course exposing yourself to all that dangerous sunshine and are spending your time productively.  But how do you make sure you withdraw the cassettes without things rolling off them?

I started out by using MDF ends attached and removed using velcro strips Mike, as suggested by our simulated duck. I then put in foam pieces at the far end to stop the stock banging against the ends, and discovered that a fairly thick piece cut to a tight interference fit was enough to hold things in place. I now use those all the time, pushed right up against each end of the stock so that it cannot roll at all. That's why you can't see them in some of the cassettes - they are a few inches in. We have a stall in the Victoria Market in Nottingham which sells all sorts of sizes, though how the guy is allowed to do so in these Health and Safety conscious days I'm not sure. Anyway, so far at least the foam both keeps stock where it should be and mostly stops it from derailing too.

• RMweb Premium

Glad I'm only 'simulated'.........I'm really looking forward to seeing your foam inserts GN. :blackeye:

Re the B1, I wonder if 'sea-side' engines actually did rot more quickly? Anyhow, the air quality around Immingham would have dissolved a loco in no time at all I suspect (and probably still does) :D .

P

Glad I'm only 'simulated'

Be careful - you may also be 'virtual' in that simulator (note- this is different from being 'virtuous'). There's a particularly amusing bit where you dislodge the cap of the station porter as you rush through Little Bytham station at 120mph! The wings must have been a blur at that speed - very impressive.

• RMweb Premium

Glad I'm only 'simulated'.........I'm really looking forward to seeing your foam inserts GN. :blackeye:

Re the B1, I wonder if 'sea-side' engines actually did rot more quickly? Anyhow, the air quality around Immingham would have dissolved a loco in no time at all I suspect (and probably still does) :D .

P

Can ducks be incorrigible? :nono:  Please don't anyone else egg him on.

• RMweb Premium

Can ducks be incorrigible? :nono:  Please don't anyone else egg him on.

Oi! Waddle you on about?

.... freed up roads - those extras discussed about 500 posts ago..........pigeon specials, footex, troop train, engineer's stuff, 'crippled' stock en route to Donny, enthusiast's trains (excuse for Spams etc.), postals?

Flap. 

Oh how I wish I could. If I had the space it would be there on a lower level, with the connecting spur....and the bridges over the Nene, and the Midland lines behind North..... :yes: :rolleyes:

Several people and a fowl on this thread need a cold shower...!

It is going to be interesting seeing the goods cassettes filled with a convincing mix of rolling stock appropriate for the trains depicted  :rtfm:

Andy

:devil:

• RMweb Premium

Now then Andy, just because it's a bit warm these days. ;)

The Postals might be a bit of a challenge but I think Southern pride do a range? Maybe those are too 'new' for G's era?

Pigeon specials, footex, troops, 'cripples' - easy peasy. Engineers; depends on type but should be easy. :sorry_mini:

We have talked about the Breakdown Train before but I am assured that's in the old engine shed at the back of the station :laugh:

The rest as mentioned should be straightforward and could be developed from stock that has been replaced by a more up to date product or by some additional expert shopping.

OK so I know 'foreign' loco's are not going to get any space on PN, :bomb_mini:  but a 'guest's' train of suitable stock + loco could make a 'guest' appearance; after all, extras were 'additional trains' to the normal timetable were they not? A couple of 'spare fiddles' could be guest's space?

As for P East, I think Gilbert has an adjoining room or space over the stairs that could accommodate that :read: (OK so I'm now having a shower..... :fie: )

P

Someone should point Gilbert to the recent discussion on the bR Yahoo group about footexes to Sheffield for the Posh playing Wednesday. 13 full trains, 3 x A3, 5 x A2 (I think - 605xx numbers), 5 x V2. The prospect of supplying those plus stock should calm everyone down a bit.

Goods stock is in the works, Andy, I've seen it.

• RMweb Premium

Someone should point Gilbert to the recent discussion on the bR Yahoo group about footexes to Sheffield for the Posh playing Wednesday. 13 full trains, 3 x A3, 5 x A2 (I think - 605xx numbers), 5 x V2. The prospect of supplying those plus stock should calm everyone down a bit.

Superb......

Quack.

• RMweb Premium

Several people and a fowl on this thread need a cold shower...!

It is going to be interesting seeing the goods cassettes filled with a convincing mix of rolling stock appropriate for the trains depicted  :rtfm:

Andy

:devil:

Don't worry, I haven't lost the instructions which some very nice and knowledgeable chap gave me.

• RMweb Premium

Now then Andy, just because it's a bit warm these days. ;)

The Postals might be a bit of a challenge but I think Southern pride do a range? Maybe those are too 'new' for G's era?

Pigeon specials, footex, troops, 'cripples' - easy peasy. Engineers; depends on type but should be easy. :sorry_mini:

We have talked about the Breakdown Train before but I am assured that's in the old engine shed at the back of the station :laugh:

The rest as mentioned should be straightforward and could be developed from stock that has been replaced by a more up to date product or by some additional expert shopping.

OK so I know 'foreign' loco's are not going to get any space on PN, :bomb_mini:  but a 'guest's' train of suitable stock + loco could make a 'guest' appearance; after all, extras were 'additional trains' to the normal timetable were they not? A couple of 'spare fiddles' could be guest's space?

As for P East, I think Gilbert has an adjoining room or space over the stairs that could accommodate that :read: (OK so I'm now having a shower..... :fie: )

P

We'll be having no foreigners in these parts duck. Well, not for another 50 years or so anyway. And spare roads will be reserved for trains that run regularly to save me getting the cassettes up onto the layout too often. I have my sensible head on you see. :crazy:  Oh, and that "adjoining room" is my bedroom, so that's out, and I wouldn't be able to have a shower if I followed your suggestion.

Mind you, come to think of it, if I did one of these helix things I could have one part of the layout in the loft and the other where it is now, so that would allow Peterborough East. Hold on though, that should be below North, so i'd better relocate that into the loft, then build East in the present layout room. I'll report on progress in about 20 years.......if I'm that lucky.

• RMweb Premium

Peterborough didn't get into the league until after my time, though they did have some good FA Cup runs. That would mean changing the layout to winter mode though. I'll stick to day excursions to sunny Hunny.

• RMweb Premium

If you ha vent enough room for the Midland lines how about building them in "N" gauge in the spare bedroom ?

There is one slight problem. Guess which room disappeared in order to create the space for the present layout?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gilbert

With regard to Springside lamps, I always give mine a tiny dab of superglue on the jewel while they are still on the sprue and let that dry. When drilling the hole in the base, I hold the lamp upside down in a vice (with the jewel facing one of the open ends of course!) and aim slightly off-centre towards the rear of the lamp.

Regards

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a happy bunny. We seem to be making a hash of the Test Match, the chap who treats my back has told me to give up golf, I have horrible sciatica - those last two may be connected - and I've run into problems with the cassette storage. :banghead:

The idea was that the other trestles would slot in here.post-98-0-16596400-1373643279_thumb.jpg

Alas that didn't work, as the first trestle to the left and 34A "shed" to the right meant that only three cassettes could be stored on the angle without fouling one or the other. I then tried moving the 34A box and putting the trestles there. They fitted OK, but as the baseboard at that end is only 2ft wide the cassettes protruded so far into the operating well that they would inevitably have got knocked. In the end, despite all my efforts and shifting of stuff, which is not advisable when one has a bad back, I decided the only place for them to go was here.

post-98-0-68562800-1373643959_thumb.jpg

The immediate problem with that is that it considerably restricts the space I have always used to duck under to the other side of the station boards. That isn't impossible to overcome though, as there is another useable space further down. This then looked like the solution.

post-98-0-19164900-1373644174_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-57218500-1373644199_thumb.jpg

All looks fairly tidy and acceptable, but :angry:  I then realised that there was another more serious problem. Really I should have worked this out earlier, as it isn't rocket science. The operating well is 3ft wide. The longest cassettes are 4ft long. That doesn't matter when they can be extracted and replaced by moving them sideways, but now I've got a number of them side by side I can't do that, or not without a lot of tilting and manoeuvring anyway, which is not a good idea if I want the stock to stay on the rails. The ideal is to store them on the angle, but there just isn't room. I'm now taking time out to see if anything occurs to me which might salvage the situation, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions, though I appreciate that it is very difficult to do that without actually being here and seeing the situation close up. As to my back and golf, I shall seek a second opinion, as this chap seems opposed to golf for anyone as it means rotational movement which he says our backs were not designed for! I really don't want to have to shorten all those cassettes.......

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear this G. Give the problem a few days and when it gets a little cooler and your back has been rested a bit then sit down and have a think. You will have received plenty of advice by then too I should think so you will have some basis for thoughts.

As for the cricket - I'm glad I'm a duck and so don't care about anyone being out for no runs at all. However, there is always tomorrow.................................!

Can't comment on the golf back syndrome other than you getting some SWIMBO physio with huge  ........ (fit appropriate word) to give you a good .........(fit appropriate word) :prankster:

Stay cool, as young people used to say. :tongueclear:

P

Two suggestions from me GN (having slept on it!),

First of all, you could install some extra shelves within the trestles, as you have a lot of wasted space between the top and bottom of the trestles. You could then have just one set of trestles, orientated at 30deg (say) to the main baseboard so that they come out at a suitable angle to solve the 3ft problem.

Secondly, how about a turntable/sector plate arrangement?(!) ie a second board sat directly on the existing supporting board, with a single screw/nut&bolt in the centre. This can then be rotated round to a similar 30deg angle as above to allow extraction and replacement of the cassettes.

Alternatively, is there any space on the wall above the fiddle yard to mount some racks for the cassettes or is that a - too far to reach or; b - inviting disaster!

Of course this is all very easy to say(!) I'm sure there are site practicalities that make the above more challenging or downright impossible! But you did ask for suggestions... :tomato:

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

I see Gilbert has been teasing me whilst we are darf sarf in the campervan!  Three B17's indeed!!!! :O

The dodgy connection has disallowed me from uploading threads with lots of photos in them until now, as they have just upgraded to fibre optic here.  very nice shot sindeed, and a dillema about the cassettes.  One thing not usually apparent from the photos is the space in the operating well, which has suddenly become an issue.  The wall above the fiddle yard would be tempting, although I seem to recall there are some door frames there?  Can one be removed?

Spacial awareness is high currently, living in a campervan for almost three weeks!

Edited by New Haven Neil