Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

When staying with mum at St.Albans in late 1960, I called in at Kings X station wondering if i would see any Diesels....... I didn't though, not even the Baby Deltics, (but Thompson A2/3's were a sight to behold).  New motive power coming on stream in and around Manchester had started a minor interest in Diesels culminating in photing a brandnew Deltic at York. The interest didn't last, and with so many chnages taking place on BR at the time, even steam could not hold my interest after 1965. So I toddled off to look at buses seeing as many old Half-Cabs were being withdrawn and had achieved nostalgia status!

Coach, is that the time you had your pic taken at the X  looking a bit like a Ted (not bear.....)? If so please can we see it again?

G'Day Gents

Been a bit of a lurker on here for a while, so I joined, as far as 'Baby Deltics' they have been known to reach Skegness, with Quad Arts :O (even seen a picture) weather it got back is another thing, but can you imagine spending, upwards of 3 hours trapped on a Quad Art,, screaming kids, luggage, and no loo, shudder.

manna

• Like 3

I do like  shots under the roof, but this one doesn't come off I'm afraid. I haven't mastered the zoom feature, how do I get objects miles away pin sharp, but the stuff I want to be sharp horribly blurred? Even doing it in black and white doesn't improve it much if at all.

It is called Focus Stacking.  Here are a few pointers:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/post-processing-articles/focus-stacking-made-easy-with-photoshop/

mick

• Like 1

We did cut a disc, one of those metal ones, in 1959.  Re the shot under the overall roof at model Peterboro, the camera lens has not focussed on the front of the trains. Photos of trains taken outside the roof are sharp enough at close quarters so there is no reason for a difference under the roof. Mind you, f8 is always going to be the limiting factor when you are after depth of focus, nevertheless the camera you are using delivers some stonking pictures Gilbert.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gents

Been a bit of a lurker on here for a while, so I joined, as far as 'Baby Deltics' they have been known to reach Skegness, with Quad Arts :O (even seen a picture) weather it got back is another thing, but can you imagine spending, upwards of 3 hours trapped on a Quad Art,, screaming kids, luggage, and no loo, shudder.

manna

I knew that Quad arts were regularly moved up to Nottingham on summer weekends for use on Skegness excursions, but the KX- Skegness duties were rostered for corridor stock as far as I know. Even so, the Nottingham- Skeggy trains didn't exactly travel at express speed, so problems did occur, particulary on the return trip. Children's buckets were in great demand, and I'm told that when the trains stopped at Sleaford for what we would now call a comfort break, demand significantly exceeded supply so far as facilities were concerned, and the platforms were not a pretty sight after the train had departed!

There is an entry in Railway Observer recording a sighting of a 9F crossing Welwyn viaduct on an August Monday in 1958, with an ECS train consisting of 24 Quad arts. It won't be appearing on my layout. Almost anything could happen in times of great demand though - R.O also records a non corridor coach without toliet facilities in a Saturday relief to Newcastle for example, and two Cambridge six sets would be used to make up relief services, though at least they had corridors and lavatories.

• RMweb Premium

Looks as though it might have been intended for an album cover- 'Another Side of Larry Goddard', anyone?

I was thinking more of a starring role in one of those grittily realistic '60's films. Albert Finney eat your heart out. "Wet weekend in Greenfield" perhaps?

I've seen the hints lads.... :pardon:  Having been involved daily for many years with coaches from all the railways big and small, I know what is involved and just what to avoid. When it came to producing coaches commercially on my own, I set my stall out for the LMS.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Just to put a little perspective on my LG purchase - it was not one of the to-die-for LMS products Larry currently has on his website. Instead it is a BSL/Phoenix Bulleid, which was built by Derek Lawrence and painted by Larry. Both signatures are present on the vehicle. I bought it on ebay within the last 4 years - for £95. It will be my Torrington branch service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There you are you see, that's what you get when a proper photographer gets to work. Those are brilliant thanks Andy, and that's the way black and white shots should look. Thanks also for an excellent day, and your attempt to teach me how to do stacking, spoiled I'm afraid by my inability to move a small dial without moving the camera at the same time. :sad_mini:

• Like 2

I like this 'dark and manky' one.

attachicon.gifPN2sBW.jpg

The photographs are splendid! The last one could be real.

I've a picture in "*Steam near the Nene" of the interior: Lots of trolleys with sacks and packages; suspended lighting;  and suspended notice-boards. I haven't a scanner to hand, but if the picture is any use? - although you might well have it  already.

Regards,

Tony

*A.V. Fincham