The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Best to all those in difficulties.

After somewhat over a week away, and an intray that looks like skyscraper, serious duties must take over once I have completed all the phone calls around which I can be online with MR stuff.

I now offically declare that the M5 has the worst drivers in the UK as users. It is consistently used by people who shouldn't have driving licences, the most notable of this year's exhibits eight caravan operators in a group continually attempting to overtake each other with 0.1mph speed differential, causing repeated bunching of the traffic; and some plonker in a Volvo with what looked like floorboards propped up at an angle on a trailer. These were unsecured and as he accelerated he got them airborne all over the motorway. I hope no one had an accident - no time to look behind as I wove through the falling timber.

Morning all,

Well some gardeneering was fitted among various other things yesterday and more will follow today - I'm told.

And yes Bob I too would worry about that with a 13 year old, especially in view of the experience we had with our lad.  There we were walking along a  quiet street with a couple of those windows and laddo duly concentrated on watching the nice mature looking lady in one of them - and promptly walked into a bollard which was just the right height to catch him in a rather painful spot.  I think his pain and embarassment got even worse when his mum and I suggested that as said lady was looking rather concerned at his fate maybe he should go and ask her to rub it better; he turned down that idea and hobbled on with us.

Have a  good day folks

When I first joined the merchant navy one of the first places I went as a 16 year old was Istanbul. Going ashore with a group of crew, one of the places I remember walking around was the red light area. From my memory banks it was a cobbled street that went uphill. On both sides of the street were shops with very scantily clad women in the windows. There must have been hundreds because it seemed like wall to wall women. The street was always called 'The Street of a Thousand Ar**holes'. For many years I thought that this was the proper name of the street.

• Like 1

I have posted this in the micro layout section but thought I would air it here in case anyone is interested or knows of an interested modeller. I can provide further measurements etc.

In my garage I have an oldish electric organ. I guess it is 18-24 " long. It is hard cased I.e. wooden construction not a plastic case. The top half of the box hinges with 2 clips and two securing buckle thingies. The folding legs are still in place as is the keyboard gubbins etc.

I think it would make a great basis for a micro model especially as the base alone is quite deep with space for a layout and storage. The lid is also deep giving more storage and layout space.

If anyone is interested please message me.

Yet MORE justification for a 'groan' button :D

My suggestions to Andy Y for a greater variety of buttons is usually treated with total contempt. I can't imagine why...

My suggestion for a "That is truly bloody hideous" button was rejected...

post-17811-0-35453900-1436179731.jpg

and he never even got back to me about this one...

post-17811-0-37565100-1436179770.jpg

Shame.

• Like 1

Best to all those in difficulties.

After somewhat over a week away, and an intray that looks like skyscraper, serious duties must take over once I have completed all the phone calls around which I can be online with MR stuff.

I now offically declare that the M5 has the worst drivers in the UK as users. It is consistently used by people who shouldn't have driving licences, the most notable of this year's exhibits eight caravan operators in a group continually attempting to overtake each other with 0.1mph speed differential, causing repeated bunching of the traffic; and some plonker in a Volvo with what looked like floorboards propped up at an angle on a trailer. These were unsecured and as he accelerated he got them airborne all over the motorway. I hope no one had an accident - no time to look behind as I wove through the falling timber.

What happened to the "caravans in lane 1 only" experiment on the M5?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Any comments from his sister?

B

Hidden among her laughter I seem to recall.  She might report in later but she has gone to what passes for 'casualty' at our local hospital to hopefully get her had looked at as it was caught between a stillage and a door frame at work yesterday.

Mornin' all,

Condolences to any and all dealing with ailments/illnesses just now.

Sunny, warm high summer start in The Moorlands....head down calorie burns on regular constitutionals just now as Is is doing some comfort eating and I'm trying to at least control the waistline effect of more regular meals out etc. We start at the cancer centre tomorrow....she wants to swim in the sea one more time before the restrictive regime of chemo kicks in, so I'll be trying to make sure that that happens.

Adding to the situation was an attempt by hackers with information hacked from our ISP to obtain bank details via a Trojan virus on the laptop...all bank details now changed. A visit to PC World and advice from the manufacturer of the laptop has yielded the necessary protection.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Mornin' all,

Condolences to any and all dealing with ailments/illnesses just now.

Sunny, warm high summer start in The Moorlands....head down calorie burns on regular constitutionals just now as Is is doing some comfort eating and I'm trying to at least control the waistline effect of more regular meals out etc. We start at the cancer centre tomorrow....she wants to swim in the sea one more time before the restrictive regime of chemo kicks in, so I'll be trying to make sure that that happens.

Adding to the situation was an attempt by hackers with information hacked from our ISP to obtain bank details via a Trojan virus on the laptop...all bank details now changed. A visit to PC World and advice from the manufacturer of the laptop has yielded the necessary protection.

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Good to hear from you again Dave. The very best wishes to you and Mrs TG

Ed

That reminds me of a family holiday when we spent a day walking around Amsterdam. Unexpectedly we found ourselves outside a large window where a scantily attired female was posing.

Our twelve year old son enquired, "Why is she doing that?"

I replied, "I think she's selling her wares!" to which he responded,

"Do you mean her underwear?!"

Well, they say travel broadens the mind ......... !

Mmmm, several years ago my mother and my uncle (both in their 70's at that time) visited Amsterdam. At a road junction, my mother asked if they should turn left or right and my uncle replied, "Well not that way, that's the red light district!" "How do you know?" asked my mother. "Well it was in 1946 when I was last here" he said. That sealed it, my mother walked off into the red light district. Evidently my uncle was very embarrassed as the ladies called after him. My mother's comment was "They could catch their death from the cold, couldn't they wear more clothes than that?"

On nearly the same subject, one of the places I wanted to find in Valletta on Malta, was Strait Street, the Gut. When I asked a shopkeeper, she replied, "That sort of thing has gone now but it's still not a place to take a lady!"

She was almost right, I wonder what it was like when "Jack" was having a "Run ashore?"

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

What's with the livery? Looks very BVB-style.

It does in a sense! 5001 is the only car in this livery, though. I did go carefully on my first round but felt more comfortable with the (to me) unfamiliar control arrangement on the second. The pedal balancing springs on 5001 at least felt fairly stiff, too. Leg room on those Tatras in general could be a bit larger, though!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Sorry Dick has had a nasty piece of news. We hoped last week would put an end to it for a while here, didn't we?

one of the places I wanted to find in Valletta on Malta, was Strait Street, the Gut.

Deb spent her early teen years on Malta and we then had a week there in 1976. She found Strait Street and we had a couple of drinks in a bar - it was persisting down in true Med fashion outside. There was a row of "ladies" sat at the bar, each keeping an eye on the weather ready to await the return of the sun and the punters, no doubt.

Much cooler overnight, at last. I had had a late call to join Alison and sons for dinner - she was getting brassed-off with the current volunteer, Cory from Pheonix, AZ and relies on me to make her laugh. Sherry will attest to the fact that I enjoy making women laugh - and that's without even taking my clothes off! Dinner being over we than took the young border-collie-cross bitch for a lengthy walkie, enabling Alison to see what was going on at her lover's farm, and even hear his harridan of a wife leading off at him about something. Earlier in the week that walk would have been hard work - but the temperature was perfect for the 2-3 mile trek.

Final sorting out and packing today, as I'm off first thing. As this trip is something of an afterthought - Sherry's good idea, really - I had thought of having a couple of days around London, but the short-term prices for normally-affordable hotels were just silly, so I'm straight to Torquay off the Eurostar tomorrow. And guess what - FGW are apparently on strike from Wednesday for a couple of days, so I'd have struggled to get there at all, as SW Trains would be bums-out-windows to Exeter, and I don't like taking a free seat on such occasions.

Hope your week goes well.

• Like 18

Afternoon all

Sorry Dick has had a nasty piece of news. We hoped last week would put an end to it for a while here, didn't we?

Deb spent her early teen years on Malta and we then had a week there in 1976. She found Strait Street and we had a couple of drinks in a bar - it was persisting down in true Med fashion outside. There was a row of "ladies" sat at the bar, each keeping an eye on the weather ready to await the return of the sun and the punters, no doubt.

Much cooler overnight, at last. I had had a late call to join Alison and sons for dinner - she was getting brassed-off with the current volunteer, Cory from Pheonix, AZ and relies on me to make her laugh. Sherry will attest to the fact that I enjoy making women laugh - and that's without even taking my clothes off! Dinner being over we than took the young border-collie-cross bitch for a lengthy walkie, enabling Alison to see what was going on at her lover's farm, and even hear his harridan of a wife leading off at him about something. Earlier in the week that walk would have been hard work - but the temperature was perfect for the 2-3 mile trek.

Final sorting out and packing today, as I'm off first thing. As this trip is something of an afterthought - Sherry's good idea, really - I had thought of having a couple of days around London, but the short-term prices for normally-affordable hotels were just silly, so I'm straight to Torquay off the Eurostar tomorrow. And guess what - FGW are apparently on strike from Wednesday for a couple of days, so I'd have struggled to get there at all, as SW Trains would be bums-out-windows to Exeter, and I don't like taking a free seat on such occasions.

Hope your week goes well.

Ian, you paid for your seat with blood, sweat and tears. Oh as I understand you have been a Controller, banging your head against a brick wall as well.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Talking of bollards.........back in the seventies some of the lads from work took part in a charity race dressed as babies and in prams. One of the prams hit a kerb at breakneck speed sending its 15 stone passenger somersaulting onto a bollard and he crushed one of his and had to have it removed and was subsequently off work for many weeks. On another occasion one of my staff did a charity parachute jump and broke his ankle.

I'm all for charity endeavours and support friends and family when they do them but will only now do so if I'm confident nobody's going to break their neck.

Currently having a break from DIY tasks. Have lifted sufficient floorboards and only ruined one. (I forgot that sometimes they go all the way under the bl##dy wall!) New piece cut and spraying started. There doesn't appear to be too much of a problem. (said he hopefully)

• RMweb Gold

Talking of bollards.........back in the seventies some of the lads from work took part in a charity race dressed as babies and in prams. One of the prams hit a kerb at breakneck speed sending its 15 stone passenger somersaulting onto a bollard and he crushed one of his and had to have it removed and was subsequently off work for many weeks. On another occasion one of my staff did a charity parachute jump and broke his ankle.

I'm all for charity endeavours and support friends and family when they do them but will only now do so if I'm confident nobody's going to break their neck.

When Deb was in the rehab hospital - l'Arche at St Saturnin just outside Le Mans - there was a chap there in his early '50s, paralysed from the neck down. A charming and amusing man and a nuclear scientist, he had been on a parachute drop for charity and it hadn't worked out. He hit the ground as if he'd jumped off a three-storey building. These things really do happen to people doing good works, too.

Any comments from his sister?

B

Sorry i'm late. Touch of finger trouble. Well hand trouble actually, being as it was nearer wrist level where it got squashed. It isn't broken so i've been told to elevate it (but not been given a sling) and rest it (but i've not been signed off work)...

In any case I am still in working order, as indeed is my brother post bollard incident. Well that's what he says when he gets home from certain nights out anyway.

Greetings all. Late on parade today as I have had an opticians appointment this morning - just a routine eye check up but I will forever have to explain my vision being impaired due to the optic nerve problem.

I was heartened to read Jock's posting - boring, never!

And condolences to Smiffy.

Elder Lurker is now on his Year 8 camp in the New Forest. We'll not hear from them until he gets back on Friday. The house is quiet without him. We were going to go out on Sunday to a garden down in Kent but it rained. So we went to Bluewater!!

Younger Lurker is on a school trip to the Science Museum. Hopefully he'll cope with the different routine and have a fab time.

Only a couple of days til the J P Morgan challenge (3.5 m round Battersea Park). The good news is that the tubeworkers look they'll be on strike, so meaning I will remain fastest man in the department........it's not spreadsheet king I worry about; it's one of the new recruits. He seems capable of easily beating my (admittedly slow) time!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Influenza, bronchitis and now a severe ear infection.  One hand out of bed to operate the keyboard.  I'll be back on deck some time.  Best wishes and better health to all.

• RMweb Gold

Just got back from Margam, having gone down on Thursday.

I did try dropping in yesterday, but the internet connection was bad, and then I saw how many pages of ERs there was to trawl through!

Friday we had been looking at sofas in the various furniture warehouses that seem to frequent s Wales.

We ended up in Crumlin, right under the point at which the Crumlin viaduct crossed the valley, you can just about make out the eastern abutment if you know where to look.  We also passed under the old Maesycymmer viaduct and then headed off down towards Llanbradach before heading down the Rhymney valley to Machen where i was setting up the range.

I regaled the Obergrumpenfuhrer with select information about the various railways that had threaded through the area, but she started with a far a way stare before her eyes glazed over.  Finally she started rummaging in the car's glove compartment.

I later found out that she was looking for the regulation mess Webley in order to put herself out of her misery!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back for another fleeting visit while waiting for the fridge to arrive - delivery time is now estimating up to 17.50 and meantime, all of our frozen stuff is in the cool boxes with a hope that it doesn't defrost.  Vet's appointment for later today postponed as a result of delivery times.

Richard, I know that glazed look when the topic of railways is broached, as unless one marries a fellow enthusiast, this seems to be a regular event. 

May pop back later, but doubtful, and tomorrow is shopping day - so may not be here again - whoop-de-do