Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

When I used to go point gauging at New Street, sometime before the end of steam, the track gauge around the ends of the station varied by about 5". At 4mm/ft that's about the same as the difference between 00 and EM

You've seen My track,,....... Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Details......

Andy

Especially if the OO was .........(shhhh, stage whisper and looks over both shoulders)  Finescale OO.......................... :locomotive:

Helmet, Gas Mask, Flak jacket. white flag......................gone.

P

• RMweb Premium

...empty shop, church (Saturday only), primary school, large office foyer...

Church, Sunday.....double the Congregation at least? (Unless it was a Charismatic Baptist style and then it would have to be in the afternoon only).

A. Pastor.

• 1 year later...

Hi, Can anyone tell me if Treneglos is still being considered for sale ? Having seen this layout many years ago at the Uckfield Model Railway show, I fell in love with this layout, and the idea of a North Cornwall railway layout, as I adore Spam Cans, and everything Southern, I have all the loco ingredients for a layout like this, and would give this layout a very good home in East Sussex, although I am hoping to move to Cornwall next year. Any news, please get in touch, good or bad :imsohappy:  :cry: I would be grateful.

• Like 1

One of my all-time favourite layouts too. I organised 2 visits to Taunton when I organised that show back in the day. The last time I saw it was the Barnstaple show a couple of years ago. Whoever owns it now or in the future, I would like to organise a visit to Exmoor Rail (which I now organise) at some time in the future. It would make a fine addition to any exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Can anyone tell me if Treneglos is still being considered for sale ? Having seen this layout many years ago at the Uckfield Model Railway show, I fell in love with this layout, and the idea of a North Cornwall railway layout, as I adore Spam Cans, and everything Southern, I have all the loco ingredients for a layout like this, and would give this layout a very good home in East Sussex, although I am hoping to move to Cornwall next year. Any news, please get in touch, good or bad :imsohappy:  :cry: I would be grateful.

Good evening WCC,

I've sent you a Private Message - click on the envelope top right of your screen.

The layout hasn't been exhibited since 2014. Looking back at the thread has reminded me that we had a great time at Barnstaple.

It's currently in storage with no plans for any future shows or use. It does have some storage damage, but nothing that can't be repaired if you have the time or inclination.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Time to update my last post and to report that it looks like the sale of Treneglos has been agreed and the layout will hopefully soon be on its way to pastures new.

It's with very mixed feelings that we're parting with the layout. I'm sad as this was the layout that 14 years ago got me back into modelling, doing shows and very much prompted me to find out more about the Southern's Withered Arm.

We had a lot of fun over the years attending nearly 40 shows all over the country, and as far away as central France, meeting lots of great folk along the way. The shows have left us with some superb memories, most involving pubs, and a network of friends. It provided the opportunity to work on the updated David Wroe North Cornwall Railway book and gave us access to lots of places we wouldn't otherwise have gone.

The layout has been a stepping stone to my current project, the 7mm Pencarrow, which is also set in North Cornwall. John and Damian also have several other projects at various stages in the layout lifecycle. We were also involved and distracted by the Black Country Blues layout build by the Staffordshire Finescale Group for BRM.

Our own last show with Tackygloss was down in Barnstaple and it was good to be reminded that the layout still looked great. There was certainly no mood for scrapping it but, as with all older layouts, the question remained what to do with it now we'd all got other projects to work on?

We are therefore pleased to report that the buyer is very interested in pouring some TLC into the layout and also potentially taking out to the occasional show. Nice to know it will have further use rather than being stuck in my storeroom.

In writing this I have been again reminded of some great times. The huge enthusiasm John, Damian and I had building the layout. The help we had on various bits from Geoff, Fred, Andy and others. The extra folk we regularly roped in to help at shows: Geoff, Andy, Nigel, Fred, Phil, Terry, Ron and others.

It's been a fantastic experience over the years meeting with folk who have shared our enthusiasm for the line but also to see interest and enthusiasm awakened in others. I'm delighted that the layout will be going to a very enthusiastic new owner*, we wish him well.

Apologies must go to Mr York who has badgered us for a few years for a photo shoot and article for BRM. The sale does however bring the potential for the new owner to write something from a different angle. I'd certainly be interested to read about the experience taking on an exhibition layout.

(*My wife is equally delighted that a transit van volume of layout is vacating the house!)

• Like 4

Time to update my last post and to report that it looks like the sale of Treneglos has been agreed and the layout will hopefully soon be on its way to pastures new.

It's with very mixed feelings that we're parting with the layout. I'm sad as this was the layout that 14 years ago got me back into modelling, doing shows and very much prompted me to find out more about the Southern's Withered Arm.

We had a lot of fun over the years attending nearly 40 shows all over the country, and as far away as central France, meeting lots of great folk along the way. The shows have left us with some superb memories, most involving pubs, and a network of friends. It provided the opportunity to work on the updated David Wroe North Cornwall Railway book and gave us access to lots of places we wouldn't otherwise have gone.

The layout has been a stepping stone to my current project, the 7mm Pencarrow, which is also set in North Cornwall. John and Damian also have several other projects at various stages in the layout lifecycle. We were also involved and distracted by the Black Country Blues layout build by the Staffordshire Finescale Group for BRM.

Our own last show with Tackygloss was down in Barnstaple and it was good to be reminded that the layout still looked great. There was certainly no mood for scrapping it but, as with all older layouts, the question remained what to do with it now we'd all got other projects to work on?

We are therefore pleased to report that the buyer is very interested in pouring some TLC into the layout and also potentially taking out to the occasional show. Nice to know it will have further use rather than being stuck in my storeroom.

In writing this I have been again reminded of some great times. The huge enthusiasm John, Damian and I had building the layout. The help we had on various bits from Geoff, Fred, Andy and others. The extra folk we regularly roped in to help at shows: Geoff, Andy, Nigel, Fred, Phil, Terry and others.

It's been a fantastic experience over the years meeting with folk who have shared our enthusiasm for the line but also to see interest and enthusiasm awakened in others. I'm delighted that the layout will be going to a very enthusiastic new owner*, we wish him well.

Apologies must go to Mr York who has badgered us for a few years for a photo shoot and article for BRM. The sale does however bring the potential for the new owner to write something from a different angle. I'd certainly be interested to read about the experience taking on an exhibition layout.

(*My wife is equally delighted that a transit van volume of layout is vacating the house!)

Very well said young Spams, your thoughts have more than captured my own.

I too am delighted it's going to a good home and look forward to seeing it on the circuit...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Today has been set aside to locate the layout, extract and check all the parts and move them to a ground floor location to make collection a bit easier.

About 2/3rds of the layout is here (more around the corner):

post-6675-0-70059000-1512209356_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't be too difficult on that side. The rest unfortunately is in another store which the domestic authorities have slowly been invading...

post-6675-0-78107700-1512209440_thumb.jpg

Call a search party if you don't hear from me in several hours!

• Like 3

Today has been set aside to locate the layout, extract and check all the parts and move them to a ground floor location to make collection a bit easier.

About 2/3rds of the layout is here (more around the corner):

attachicon.gifrps20171202_100446.jpg

Shouldn't be too difficult on that side. The rest unfortunately is in another store which the domestic authorities have slowly been invading...

attachicon.gifrps20171202_100509.jpg

Call a search party if you don't hear from me in several hours!

Suggest tying a string around your ankle before you go in...

Can it really be 14 years ago that we began building a small layout representing part of the West Country under the working title "The Withered Arm" project.

Inspired by John Betjeman's lines "Wind in the ventilators - Can it really be that this same carriage came from Waterloo?" I think it turned out pretty good.

And we have had a lot of fun all over the place with the layout, ably assisted by many good friends - and I vaguely remember that once upon a time I ended up in a supermarket trolley!

Best of luck to Simon with Treneglos (pronounced proper as Trin- ay- gl-o-ss, I think!) and we hope you have as much fun with the layout as we have.

All the very best,

John.

• Like 5