Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

Does Plymouth Breweries still exist? Their place used to smell wonderful when I was at school in Devonport.

P

I was moved away from Plymouth when I was 5, just started school at Pennycross, I don't remember the beer though.

Re Chris's pic was that for research for building a model Pub?

Bodge.

• RMweb Premium

I was moved away from Plymouth when I was 5, just started school at Pennycross, I don't remember the beer though.

Re Chris's pic was that for research for building a model Pub?

Bodge.

Dear Bodge, you know me I like to research projects fully. You have to have things spot on don't you...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is with deep sadness that tonight John, Damian and I learned that one of our merry band of Treneglos helpers, Fred Shilton, has passed away.

We knew Fred from our days as members of Stafford Railway Circle. At the time Treneglos was built in secret as a non-club layout and we revealed it to an unsuspecting public at the 2004 Stafford show. After this 'reveal' Fred, a fellow Southern enthusiast, took an interest in our little project and was a regular helper not only at shows but also in building items for us. Fred was responsible for badgering me into buying my first soldering iron and having a go at some brass coach kits. Some years on I'm now building stuff in 7mm - thanks Fred for starting the ball rolling. 

Talking to John on the phone I think we're agreed that one of our fondest memories of him was an evening in Wadebridge after the show had finished... We'd had a pint, found some food and then discovered the bar was closing. Thankfully, as hotel residents, we were informed that an oasis existed if we walked through the gents toilets. What!!??!! Intrigued, we walked as instructed and found a secret private bar and a wedding party in full swing. We were welcomed into the party and a good night followed. Fred enjoyed one or two of his favourite wee drams and in the early hours decided it was time to call it quits. He said good night...only to reappear much later having spent the time wandering the hotel unable to locate his room. Suffice to say that we were all somewhat fragile at the show that day but we had a load of tales to tell (most can't be repeated on a public forum).  

As the years rolled on it sadly became obvious that Fred's illnesses and medications weren't compatible with the heavy graft of an exhibition weekend and, on one occasion, required a trip to the local hospital to get some emergency medication. Outings with Treneglos dropped off and I'm sad to say that so did contact with Fred - we'd all since left the Stafford club and moved away geographically. 

Fred was a real gent, a skilled model engineer and fantastic company. Rest in peace Fred. We'll all raise a glass and fondly remember the good times and antics.

Fred supervising Damian during a Treneglos working session - is there a look of slight disapproval on Fred's face at Damian's choice of tool?

post-6675-0-69632900-1420838036_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-22970500-1420838044_thumb.jpg

Fred sharing a joke with Geoff during set up at York show - nice fancy carpet!

post-6675-0-56694800-1420838048_thumb.jpg

Fred quietly getting on with the nitty-gritty of putting up Treneglos. 

post-6675-0-01674600-1420838051_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-27227600-1420838053_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice words Chris . It's a fact of life that I've noticed more recently since turning fifty that those people we take for granted as being there maybe won't be one day.Cherish the good times, laughs and memories.Life is so short.Some of my modelling 'heroes' are getting on a bit so I make the most of them whilst I can.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Friendly/supportive 1