Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

It is with deep sadness that tonight John, Damian and I learned that one of our merry band of Treneglos helpers, Fred Shilton, has passed away.

We knew Fred from our days as members of Stafford Railway Circle. At the time Treneglos was built in secret as a non-club layout and we revealed it to an unsuspecting public at the 2004 Stafford show. After this 'reveal' Fred, a fellow Southern enthusiast, took an interest in our little project and was a regular helper not only at shows but also in building items for us. Fred was responsible for badgering me into buying my first soldering iron and having a go at some brass coach kits. Some years on I'm now building stuff in 7mm - thanks Fred for starting the ball rolling. 

Talking to John on the phone I think we're agreed that one of our fondest memories of him was an evening in Wadebridge after the show had finished... We'd had a pint, found some food and then discovered the bar was closing. Thankfully, as hotel residents, we were informed that an oasis existed if we walked through the gents toilets. What!!??!! Intrigued, we walked as instructed and found a secret private bar and a wedding party in full swing. We were welcomed into the party and a good night followed. Fred enjoyed one or two of his favourite wee drams and in the early hours decided it was time to call it quits. He said good night...only to reappear much later having spent the time wandering the hotel unable to locate his room. Suffice to say that we were all somewhat fragile at the show that day but we had a load of tales to tell (most can't be repeated on a public forum).  

As the years rolled on it sadly became obvious that Fred's illnesses and medications weren't compatible with the heavy graft of an exhibition weekend and, on one occasion, required a trip to the local hospital to get some emergency medication. Outings with Treneglos dropped off and I'm sad to say that so did contact with Fred - we'd all since left the Stafford club and moved away geographically. 

Fred was a real gent, a skilled model engineer and fantastic company. Rest in peace Fred. We'll all raise a glass and fondly remember the good times and antics.

Fred supervising Damian during a Treneglos working session - is there a look of slight disapproval on Fred's face at Damian's choice of tool?

attachicon.gifIMG_0130.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0132.JPG

Fred sharing a joke with Geoff during set up at York show - nice fancy carpet!

attachicon.gifIMG_0789.JPG

Fred quietly getting on with the nitty-gritty of putting up Treneglos. 

attachicon.gifTaunton CPT 040.jpg

attachicon.gifTaunton CPT 065.jpg

Well said Chris.

Fred was a truly decent gent.

Funnily enough it was only last week I dug out the Leek & Manifold Railway loco he built for me.

Wadebridge will be my lasting memory, I suspect we've never felt or looked so grey.......

And those pictures, I've never seen....

Cheers Fred, have one on us up there.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well said Chris.

Fred was a truly decent gent.

Funnily enough it was only last week I dug out the Leek & Manifold Railway loco he built for me.

Wadebridge will be my lasting memory, I suspect we've never felt or looked so grey.......

And those pictures, I've never seen....

Cheers Fred, have one on us up there.

Been through a lot of photos tonight to find those - memory plays tricks on what happened when. We had some great outings.

On a happier note I found lots more of John, including these gems... 

post-6675-0-33051200-1420840304_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-93023700-1420840310_thumb.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is with deep sadness that tonight John, Damian and I learned that one of our merry band of Treneglos helpers, Fred Shilton, has passed away.

We knew Fred from our days as members of Stafford Railway Circle. At the time Treneglos was built in secret as a non-club layout and we revealed it to an unsuspecting public at the 2004 Stafford show. After this 'reveal' Fred, a fellow Southern enthusiast, took an interest in our little project and was a regular helper not only at shows but also in building items for us. Fred was responsible for badgering me into buying my first soldering iron and having a go at some brass coach kits. Some years on I'm now building stuff in 7mm - thanks Fred for starting the ball rolling. 

Talking to John on the phone I think we're agreed that one of our fondest memories of him was an evening in Wadebridge after the show had finished... We'd had a pint, found some food and then discovered the bar was closing. Thankfully, as hotel residents, we were informed that an oasis existed if we walked through the gents toilets. What!!??!! Intrigued, we walked as instructed and found a secret private bar and a wedding party in full swing. We were welcomed into the party and a good night followed. Fred enjoyed one or two of his favourite wee drams and in the early hours decided it was time to call it quits. He said good night...only to reappear much later having spent the time wandering the hotel unable to locate his room. Suffice to say that we were all somewhat fragile at the show that day but we had a load of tales to tell (most can't be repeated on a public forum).  

As the years rolled on it sadly became obvious that Fred's illnesses and medications weren't compatible with the heavy graft of an exhibition weekend and, on one occasion, required a trip to the local hospital to get some emergency medication. Outings with Treneglos dropped off and I'm sad to say that so did contact with Fred - we'd all since left the Stafford club and moved away geographically. 

Fred was a real gent, a skilled model engineer and fantastic company. Rest in peace Fred. We'll all raise a glass and fondly remember the good times and antics.

Fred supervising Damian during a Treneglos working session - is there a look of slight disapproval on Fred's face at Damian's choice of tool?

attachicon.gifIMG_0130.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0132.JPG

Fred sharing a joke with Geoff during set up at York show - nice fancy carpet!

attachicon.gifIMG_0789.JPG

Fred quietly getting on with the nitty-gritty of putting up Treneglos. 

attachicon.gifTaunton CPT 040.jpg

attachicon.gifTaunton CPT 065.jpg

That's a great Chris, Fred was a lovely and talented man and you have captured that well in your tribute. Thank you. andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also have very fond memories of Fred especially the weekend spent at Wadebridge with Treneglos on tour.

I remember well the Friday night at Wadebridge when I think it is fair to say the who group of us consumed a fair amount of booze.

I shared a room with Fred and I can still picture I think it was Chris, Damain and John bringing Fred back to our room very much the worse for wear.

He sat on the bed took his medication and said you fancy a whisky ( I removed the whisky and said you have had enough)

Next morning all feeling the worse for wear we all walked to the exhibition as we dare not drive. A few pasties at lunchtime sorted us out.

Fred was also very much involved in the building of the Headstocks of New Haden Colliery at the time a SRC layout.

I and a few Stafford Railway Circle members will be attending Fred's funeral to say goodbye on behalf of us all.

The 2016 Stafford Railway exhibition will have Fred's EM layout Freshwater layout which he donated to the club on show running with Fred's stock

RIP

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

From Meccano Magazine November 1960

http://meccano.magazines.free.fr/html/1960/6011/60110552.htm

Oh, I enjoyed that as well. Thanks John.

I would have liked to have just once seen a Bulleid at full tilt through Axminster where they were often doing 90+ going west and similar going east (unless stopping of course!)

Incidentally I missed a real Spam at 36E (twice) yesterday, not doing that sort of speed as it stopped both morning and evening.

I'm not sure if Tangmere has been through here since I moved up over 12 years ago so I was very sad. 

P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Went to Kettering G0G trade show today. Met and had a long chat with one of my modelling heroes...Mr Barry Norman! He's seen and enjoyed Treneglos, which means a lot to me, and was very impressed with the recent BCB article in MRJ. Smashing, cheered me up no end. Seems to know that reprobate Jerry Clifford too...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Went to Kettering G0G trade show today. Met and had a long chat with one of my modelling heroes...Mr Barry Norman! He's seen and enjoyed Treneglos, which means a lot to me, and was very impressed with the recent BCB article in MRJ. Smashing, cheered me up no end. Seems to know that reprobate Jerry Clifford too...

Reprobate.........ok ,fair enough:-)

I've known Barry a long time and, like many, was greatly inspired by his scenic book which must be a good twenty years old now but still relevant. In fact we put the modelling world to rights on the phone for the best part of an hour on Friday!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I've known Barry a long time and, like many, was greatly inspired by his scenic book which must be a good twenty years old now but still relevant. In fact we put the modelling world to rights on the phone for the best part of an hour on Friday!

Jerry

Mid to late eighties I seem to remember but yes much of it still relevant today, I still prefer carpet underlay to static grass.

• RMweb Gold

Mid to late eighties I seem to remember but yes much of it still relevant today, I still prefer carpet underlay to static grass.

You still prefer LNER to GWR; you've probably still got a Betamax rather than DVDs...

• RMweb Premium

Jerry

Yes, he spoke very highly of you. (I said it must be a different Jerry he was thinking of ;-p ). Met him at the end of the show whilst talking to Laurie Griffin.

Barry's book was the inspiration for me to get into landscape modelling and looking beyond track and trains.

Nice chap, for once a hero didn't disappoint.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It was Petherick which I found inspiring  so the book was a must. It is a funny things about heros one of mine was Martin Brent who built some lovely layouts in 00 and EM. Later he moved near to me and I offered to take him to visit Ken Payne. It turned out that Ken was one of Martin's heros. Sadly Martin passed away much too early.

I hve no doubt that you lot will be Heros to others and in years to come people will be saying do you remember Trenglos? Most Inspiring.

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I hve no doubt that you lot will be Heros to others and in years to come people will be saying do you remember Trenglos? Most Inspiring.

...Treneglos, Diesels in the Duchy, part of the BCB team...they are already heroes now Don ;) Edited by bcnPete

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

STOP PRESS!

Folk can't have helped but notice that Treneglos has been a little quiet of late on the exhibition front and, to be fair, just about every other front too!

Our last outing was Barnstaple in 2014, and it was probably a good year or so before that that we exhibited. Over this period John, Damian and I have been merrily avoiding the herd of elephants in the room. They are:

• We've all got other modelling projects to keep us occupied. Damian has DitD and his under construction Lynton and Barnstaple layout. John has Outlaw stuffed in his shed and has several other ideas occupying his thoughts. I've got my long-term 7mm Bodmin North inspired layout.   
  • We also support a number of other 'group' layouts including BCB.
  • Work commitments keep at least two of us more occupied than we'd wish. 
  • Apart from the work to prep the layout for Barnstaple in 2014, no work has been done on the layout in 4+ years.
  • The layout is too long to use in any of our homes and therefore only gets played with at shows.
  • It lives somewhat unloved in roofspace storage at my house, takes up lots of space and is a pain to extract to work on.

Don't get me wrong, we love the layout and, when it attends shows, love all the positive feedback from punters. We've had some really great memories because of the layout. It's all still in good working order and, in our opinion looks good.  

BUT.... We've now acknowledged that it's time to move on.

In an ideal world this is what we'd like to happen next:

1. We twist Mr York's arm to take some photos and BRM to accept a farewell article - something on look back on when I'm even older.
  2. Attend one last show. We've had a few ideas but my preference would be something in the South West. I've sent details to David Harding at Exeter show to see if he's interested for 2017. But other suggestions are welcome.
  3. Sell the layout. We'd like to sell it on to somebody or some group that wants to use and exhibit it. This is preferable to the scrapping option but, lets face it, a layout in constant storage is no better off than being scrapped. Please contact me by PM if you have any interest in taking the layout on.
  4. Me to significantly thin down by 4mm SR stock to fund nice shiny 7mm stuff. 

We've not yet ironed out exactly what would be included in the layout sale but we're certainly keeping the two lattice signals built by dear departed friend Fred Shilton. 

That's all folks...

Exhibition details attached below.

Treneglos Exhibition details10.pdf

post-6675-0-14015200-1468159321.jpg

• Like 4

In an ideal world this is what we'd like to happen next:

1. We twist Mr York's arm to take some photos and BRM to accept a farewell article - something on look back on when I'm even older.

I was really good the other night and didn't mention that. For once.  :nowink: