Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

One of my favourite layouts and a favourite thread too, wonderfully informative. You must all be sad to see it go. Glad I got to see it (and yourselves!) and Barnstaple a few years ago. Hopefully the new owner will be enthusiastic enough to get on the exhibition circuit.

Thank you Rich, glad you enjoyed seeing the layout. Been an interesting experience documenting the layout to pass on to the new owner Simon. Lots of memories resurfaced, tinged with sadness of it going elsewhere. But on the plus side Simon is keen to take it on and intends doing a show or two. Certainly beats the layout siting in storage or being scraped - so that's a happy outcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A great serious of photos and description Chris.

As mentioned previously, a useful reference for anyone considering building an exhibition layout. Clearly demonstrating that transportation and storage must be considered when designing an exhibition layout. I've seen far too many layouts poorly packed (if at all) and transported in cars and vans, then added to the damage caused not only by the journey and then moved from car to hall, then back - no wonder layouts get damaged! Lost count the number of times I've seen layout owners patching up or repairing damage to a layout before opening to the public...

Good to see the layout label from Barnstaple still on the front of the layout! Seriously though, thank you for the kind comments about the show (both myself and Ray are no longer involved in the exhibition or the club).

• RMweb Premium

A great serious of photos and description Chris.

As mentioned previously, a useful reference for anyone considering building an exhibition layout. Clearly demonstrating that transportation and storage must be considered when designing an exhibition layout. I've seen far too many layouts poorly packed (if at all) and transported in cars and vans, then added to the damage caused not only by the journey and then moved from car to hall, then back - no wonder layouts get damaged! Lost count the number of times I've seen layout owners patching up or repairing damage to a layout before opening to the public...

A veritable Masterclass in Exhibition layout design.

Many thanks for sharing it all.

Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold

An excellent guide for the new owner.

Recently the clubs new layout Wavy Bridge had its debut showing at Dunster by Candlelight. Unfortunately none of the team who built it we available so two members who had no previous experience of the layout had to erect and run it. This was greatly helped by a really good set of instructions produced by our treasurer. 

Don

• Like 1

Hi, Not sure quite how to start my introduction to Treneglos, but here goes. My name is Simon, and with great appreciation to Chris, John & Damian, I am the new owner of Treneglos. I have been modelling for more years than I can remember, and have exhibited with previous OO & O Gauge layouts, although this has not been recently. I am very passionate about the hobby, and will now take Treneglos forward, starting with a light restoration, fear not, Treneglos will not alter from the original design, but I am interested in members ideas, thoughts, it is a layout to be enjoyed, and I hope will be warmly welcomed back onto the show circuit in the future, and we will never forget Chris, John & Damian's hard work, bringing this great layout to the public, all those years ago, so much so, that I will have an engraved plaque made and attached to the layout for these guys, as a thank you from all of us.

Once the restoration has started, I will keep the forum updated, including pictures, but please bear with us for now, as it is very early days.

Treneglos has long been one of my all-time favourite layouts and I managed to get it to the Taunton show when I ran that. Now that I run Exmoor Rail in Minehead it would be great to have it attend at some time in the future. In the meanwhile, may I wish you the best of luck with your ideas for this great layout. I shall look forward to reading about it when you feel the time is right. So congratulations and happy modelling! 

exmoordave

• Like 2

Many thanks for your support exmoordave, I am looking forward to working and exhibiting Treneglos, I have a few ideas up my sleeve going forward, but never want to loose that Cornish appeal the layout has, and seeing the pictures and detail Chris, John & Damian have posted, it is a credit to them, still in good condition after all this time. I am hoping work will start on Treneglos in the New Year. Have a good Christmas & a Happy New Year. Simon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Defo Launceston. Look at the double signal box half WR and half SR.

Ah, but the double signalbox was not unique in that part of the world as there was also one at Lydford (but the picture is definitely Launceston).

http://www.launcestonsr.co.uk/enthusiasts/history/

Edited by The Stationmaster

• 4 weeks later...