Styrofoam Baseboards ?

Kallaroonian

When I was searching for it a few months back, my nearest Wicke's told me that it was probably only available from their larger stores (they have a name for them which I forget). They also told me that the company is notoriously slow at updating their web site and it is not unknown for customers to arrive expecting to find things that they haven't stocked for a year or more.

Nevertheless, it's worth a try but, as I said earlier, I eventually found some in one of the larger B&Q shops. Failing that, follow up the blue foam from Sheffield links posted earlier.

Nick

Last time I bought some (about a year ago), I used 'Hampdhire Insulation' -

http://www.hampshireinsulations.co.uk/index.php

good people. I'm close enough to pick it up so do not kn0w if they deliver - their website indicates a possibility! The can supply it in 2.4m x0.6m (I think) up to 75mm thick - but they will cut. The thinnest I've bought from them was 5mm - they didn't like cutting it & there was some wastage (which of course I paid for) but it makes grest road surfaces!

All in all an excellent product for baseboards as most isues of 'Model Railroader' will confirm as our American cousins have been using it for years!

Regs

Ian

No need for a jigsaw, it is very easy to cut by hand. I used an ordinary tenon saw for straight cuts and I have a dry wall hand saw that is very useful for curved and angled cut. The latter is one of the most evil looking instruments I've ever seen, but it does the job well. Both, of course, do make quite a mess!

Nick

ps. small surform tools like this and this are very useful for shaping the foam.

post-6746-0-04596500-1327012630.jpg

There was still some at Yeading (Middlesex) B&Q last Wednesday, it's now reduced by the 10 sheets I brought, I'm heading that way tomorrow and I'll add an update.

Pete Williams

Yesterday in B&Q at Yeading there were nineteen sheets left.

In responce to cutting I've used a steak knife when cutting a opening for tortoise point motors and always used surform tools of various sizes for shaping scenery, and agree with Nick about the dry wall hand saw, vicious but just the tool for the job.

Pete Williams

• RMweb Gold

I have certainly had some success with an old-fashioned Surform - the sort that looks like a long file - but in case anyone hasn't realised, I do counsel working outdoors if possible, as the dust is probably not very good for you, and may cause comment from other members of the household. Since the substance is inert, I assume that spreading the dust a little isn't environmentally disastrous, although not exactly neighbour-friendly, either.

As for Yeading, Pete, about 50 years ago I was waiting for a bus outside Richmond station, and there was a 90B on the bus-stand destination "Yeading, White Hart". Not a place I'd previously heard of, although I have since travelled through there - but did not patronise the pub.

I have certainly had some success with an old-fashioned Surform - the sort that looks like a long file - but in case anyone hasn't realised, I do counsel working outdoors if possible, as the dust is probably not very good for you, and may cause comment from other members of the household. Since the substance is inert, I assume that spreading the dust a little isn't environmentally disastrous, although not exactly neighbour-friendly, either...

I did almost all of the messy work in the garage with frequent use of the vacuum cleaner. At least that stopped it spreading and the couple of filled bags provided a compact way of disposal. Mind you, I expect to be finding small piles of the dust in odd corners of the garage for years to come.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

I see lots of advantages of working with these materials - particularly for carving landforms for scenic sections and for trackbeds - I have not used them before myself so before I try it perhaps I could seek some advice:

Looking at the B&Q website, would the following insulation board work as well?

Jablite Universal Insulation Board (Single) White (L)1200mm x (W)450mm x (T)50mm

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/insulation_boards/Jablite-Universal-Insulation-Board-Single-White-L-1200mm-x-W-450mm-x-T-50mm-9273749

It's quite cheap and is 100% polystyrene - so will cutting it up just create a load of mess and hard to work with pieces?!

And do folks spray the stuff with primer after cutting and then build up scenic paints and scatters?

Any suggestions most welcome!

cheers,

Keith

Looking at the B&Q website, would the following insulation board work as well?

Jablite Universal Insulation Board (Single) White (L)1200mm x (W)450mm x (T)50mm

http://www.diy.com/n...-T-50mm-9273749

It's quite cheap and is 100% polystyrene - so will cutting it up just create a load of mess and hard to work with pieces?!

Unfortunately Keith, that Jablite appears to be "expanded" Polystyrene like the usual stuff used as a packing material and not "extruded" Polystyrene like the Pink and Blue foam.

You won't be able to work it anyway near as well and the results will be millions of those pesky Polystyrene beads getting everywhere. Personally I'd say avoid it !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ron - right, we'll not be getting any of that stuff then!

I see that B&Q also have something called 'Polyboard':

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/constructional-insulation/flooring_insulation/Jablite-Flooring-Polyboard-L-2400-W-x-1200-x-T-50mm-9415189

which is described as 'easy to cut', but is this the same expanded stuff rather than extruded?

Cheers,

Keith

-

And do folks spray the stuff with primer after cutting and then build up scenic paints and scatters?

cheers,

Keith

This might be useful info on how I cover this stuff for scenery. Sculptamold makes for a very light but strong covering on this stuff.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/61/entry-8104-the-wonder-of-sculptamold/

Spaceboard is designed for loft flooring so its a lot stronger in compression than the other types that are generally designed for wall or room insulation.

Yes, as Ron says, the real thing is extruded, not expanded, polystyrene. They are really very different materials with quite different properties. Expanded is ok for landscape forming if it is used on a firm base, but extruded is much stronger and is better for the base and landscape.

As to covering it, I'm using sculptamold as mentioned by craigwelsh above. When dry it gives an excellent hard surface that is easily painted. Some folk mix powder paints or other colouring into it so that knocks don't show, though I've not done this.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

A note of thanks to Nick, Ron and craigwelsh for your replies and responses to my queries - much appreciated.

Shame we don't have Wickes over here in NI but I'll see if I an source some of the 'Knauf pink stuff' locally somewhere. It certainly sounds ideal for helping me along with my current project as I am about to start putting down the trackbed and developing embankments etc.

cheers,

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Mickey. It sounds like 'Cellotex' wall insulation which I personally wouldn't use as it's prone to warping and its a little too crumbly for my liking but it is good for scenic substructure.

I've checked Knauf's site and they say that it (the pink 'Polyfoam Space Board') is stocked by Wickes, but I can't find it on a less than helpful website.

• RMweb Gold

i know there is a topic on the stuf buried in her somewhere but i cant find it......

anyway Wickes have it in stock in the from of 4 foot by 10 inch sheets

This is the stuff I think. But it's 1200mm x 500 mm (or 49 in x 20 in old money). Not sure how one of the prices quoted is "£11.65 per each"!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/161280

Archived