Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

Hi, Mike, I have a quick question about your 'under the table etches'. I know you produce an etch to model the Fowler 4P with the later Stanier Cab, but I remember reading somewhere that you also do an etch to model the tank rivets that are missing on the Hornby model, or did I just imagine that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another 7mm kit getting closer now, all the patterns done for the early Hunslet 05.

IMG_0371.jpg.0613ae9990893bb325259a0d965d46d9.jpg

I'm just waiting for a test etch of the controls inside the cab - I don't have much in the way of photos of the cab interior, are there seats at the sides and is there a seat/toolbox at the rear? The control details have mostly been taken from the New Zealand version which I've been working on.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Another 7mm kit getting closer now, all the patterns done for the early Hunslet 05.

IMG_0371.jpg.0613ae9990893bb325259a0d965d46d9.jpg

I'm just waiting for a test etch of the controls inside the cab - I don't have much in the way of photos of the cab interior, are there seats at the sides and is there a seat/toolbox at the rear? The control details have mostly been taken from the New Zealand version which I've been working on.

I found these couple of shots of the cab interior of D2554 on Flickr, which shows some interior detail, 

D2554 Isle of Wight, Sunday 06 October 2019

Looking at you

I have got the original Hunslet manuals for these locos, which have got some GA drawings, which have some cab detail, but I need to dig them out and scan them tomorrow. As well as the two drivers seats seen in the above photos, there was a bench seat across the back of the cab. The wheel in the middle of the console in the above pics is for the loco handbrake, which was different from the later BR version, which have handbrake pedestals.

Paul J.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, that's what I thought but didn't have any photos or Hunslet drawings. I knew the controls were the same as the NZR Dsa and that has the seat/locker at the back - I've already done the pattern for this, just need some seats now and possibly the radiator at some time. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's getting plain green as 11167, I don't like BR blue livery and I hate doing wasp stripes. Green livery with the early BR crest is relatively unusual. Most of the test models don't get painted but this one will since it's got a motor fitted.

• Like 4

I have scanned and checked to various Hunslet Drawings and part numbers I have for the differing class 05's, and the tool box and associated seat look to be the same on all the BR designs. They are the same part number on the parts list. The only thing different is that there doesn't appear to be a backrest for the bench seat listed for the earlier design, so it may not have had one. I have included the parts list drawings below.

Dwg-190..jpg.1b5504587acba54c5cfad4f4da3c1d8d.jpg

1292736566_Hunslet0-6-0servicechart..jpg.5c4a1e7c675e7262394a52837c71a7a4.jpg

Below are some photos of the toolbox/bench seat on D2578 as it would seem to be the same as the ones on the earlier locos.

2010_060405-cab0002.JPG.ebdf940d3a2c8508a3620508f243b2bb.JPG

2010_060405-cab0007.JPG.0c10ece1531cf9380cec614ca581b345.JPG

The last photo is of the cab hotplate on D2578 in the rear corner of the cab. I don't know if the earlier locos had one of these. The drawings I have are not very clear as to if they were fitted or not. I do know that some industrial locos did have some form of hotplate fitted, the ones that come to mind are the ones supplied to John Summers at Shotton, which at the request of the loco drivers actually had coke stoves fitted instead of electric ones.

1680843608_2010_060405-cab0004-.JPG.00a2ae34819ec7a679cc1ddef8e06658.JPG

Hope this info is useful to anyone building one of these kits.

Paul J.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

image.png.70f199ec9b21e0f23956847b82f1ce1f.png

Thanks to a link in the Beyond Dover thread, I found this.

A product of Vulcan Foundry, clearly - but not one that I recall having come across previously.

It'd make a lovely model ..... from someone such as Michael Edge !?!

John Isherwood.

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I think that's a good candidate for "ugliest locomotive" - there aren't many photos of it but I do have an outline drawing.

Funny how perceptions vary - I thought it remarkably attractive and forward-thinking for a loco of 1935/6 vintage.

image.png.c23de3dfcba407c8d4f9bd0503d9a8e7.png

first vulcan frichs loco-1.pdf

Chacun son goût !!

John Isherwood.

Ha! The Vulcan-Frichs locomotive again. I'd love a kit of this one and have suggested it to Michael a few times. As with the current trend perhaps we ought to take Expressions of Interest?

As for the ugliest, I think the Harland & Wolff locomotive Michael makes a kit of is a strong contender!

20201107_233503.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We've done a few "oddball" and "ugly" locos over the years - some have sold surprisingly well, some hardly at all (including the Harland & Wolff). There isn't very much information about Vulcan and its subsequent history is a bit vague - one source suggests it ended up in Yugoslavia. The only certain way of initiating a kit design (and it might take some time even so) is to order a model from me - this is the direct origin of the EE1, Harton Bo-Bo and the Consett A class, all these have actually sold well, amazingly so in the case of the big NER electric.

• RMweb Premium

This is another of the LMS one-off designs.

2003339815_05-33lf.JPG.142d84bf050ad5795e10c787d3b576e7.JPG183439139_05-33brptd.JPG.e4c0f9881f3b610f06a687b919f00fd5.JPG

This was built for a customer about fifteen years ago, it was all worked up as a kit but we've never put it into production - it's been in our "wishlist" exhibition display for a long time with little or no interest expressed. It might sell, it might not - nobody knows and it's impossible to predict.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2