Hornby 2012 - Reasonable Speculation Thread!

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly, I have just come across the results of a "Most wanted" Poll in 2007, published in Model Rail May 2007 - It makes interesting reading!

Top 12:

1. SR T9 4-4-0
  2. Semaphore Signals
  3. New OO track
  4. ROD/LNER 04 2-8-0
  5. SR Schools 4-4-0
  6. BR 3MT 2-6-2T
  7. GWR/BR Hawkesworth coaches
  8. SR S15 4-6-0
  9. Blue Pullman diesel
  10. GWR 28xx 2-8-0
  11. LNER/BR A2 4-6-2
  12. HST Power cars

It therefore looks as if the only items from the list that have not been done are: new OO track; S15 and the A2 (Certainly in modern standards RTR)

The votes were spread: BR standard 91 votes; LMS 217 votes; BR D&E 228; GWR 312 votes; SR 418; LNER 562 In total there were some 3395 votes.

I was interested in the GWR votes, where the 312 votes were spread across 41 suggestions with the following getting more than 20 votes: 28xx 2-8-0; 42xx 2-8-2T; 72xx 2-8-2T; Castle 4-6-0; City of Truro 4-4-0; Bulldog 4-4-0 Which only leaves the 42xx and 72xx not currently being offered in RTR. I am surprised I would have thought there would be more requests for smaller tank locos.

Anyway, I thought I would share the article, before the magazine gets recycled!

Interestingly, I have just come across the results of a "Most wanted" Poll in 2007, published in Model Rail May 2007 - It makes interesting reading!

Top 12:

1. SR T9 4-4-0
  2. Semaphore Signals
  3. New OO track
  4. ROD/LNER 04 2-8-0
  5. SR Schools 4-4-0
  6. BR 3MT 2-6-2T
  7. GWR/BR Hawkesworth coaches
  8. SR S15 4-6-0
  9. Blue Pullman diesel
  10. GWR 28xx 2-8-0
  11. LNER/BR A2 4-6-2
  12. HST Power cars

It therefore looks as if the only items from the list that have not been done are: new OO track; S15 and the A2 (Certainly in modern standards RTR)

The votes were spread: BR standard 91 votes; LMS 217 votes; BR D&E 228; GWR 312 votes; SR 418; LNER 562 In total there were some 3395 votes.

I was interested in the GWR votes, where the 312 votes were spread across 41 suggestions with the following getting more than 20 votes: 28xx 2-8-0; 42xx 2-8-2T; 72xx 2-8-2T; Castle 4-6-0; City of Truro 4-4-0; Bulldog 4-4-0 Which only leaves the 42xx and 72xx not currently being offered in RTR. I am surprised I would have thought there would be more requests for smaller tank locos.

Anyway, I thought I would share the article, before the magazine gets recycled!

I think the A2 which appears at position 11 refers to the Peppercorn variety of A2 which Bachmann released a couple of years ago

Somewhere, back along (this line of foam),'Something Green, and comes in twos', was speculated upon.

l reckon that this may well turn out to be the 'Tinsley Twins', Cl.13, 0-6-0 + 0-6-0 D/E shunters.

Two, for the price of one (and a half ?). so to speak.

l have foreseen Hornby mulling over producing a 2-BIL/HAL/NOL, letting the, already well advanced, B / Belle run, whilst watching the enthusiasts' reactions to the 4-VEP.

Based on the latter, l perceive that the plans for a herittage EMU have been, quietly, put back in the cupboard.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out previously, a 2-Car SR Emu, would have wider appeal than the 'Belle, especially for those with smaller layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Let's not go down this route. Particularly as the forum software produces a little box saying "new replies added - view" when new posts have been made.

You know now, that's the main thing. It's not really been voiced that much in the model railway press, but over the years the B*** P****** (as it has become known on here!) has been something of a running joke in many ways. The story regarding the tooling has changed over the years dependent on how great a chance another manufacturer would make one, frankly, and I think PMP is right in saying it stands a chance of being part of the announcements this year.

To be frank, I don't think two highly detailed Blue Pullmans could both sit in the market, but a Railroad/nostalgic-esque re-release of the old Triang model, with upgraded chassis, and the Bachmann one could sit alongside each other quite happily, if appropriately priced.

Doesn't make sense to me, to waste money on duplicating by resurrecting, something that was never that good a model in the first place. I thought Britain's economy was a mess at present. So why would Hornby or anyone sane, want to split the potential sales with their biggest competitor? Time to show the state of the moulds maybe & leave the Blue Pullman to Bachmann.

Or put the development money towards something new, but just as much an icon.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

Based on the latter, l perceive that the plans for a herittage EMU have been, quietly, put back in the cupboard.

On the other hand, as has been pointed out previously, a 2-Car SR Emu, would have wider appeal than the 'Belle, especially for those with smaller layouts.

Well a 2BIL is more or less a couple of Maunsell coaches (which they're very good at) plus a power bogie (which seems to work OK in the Javelin, at least); so I reckon a 2BIL could still be on the cards.

Interestingly, I have just come across the results of a "Most wanted" Poll in 2007 .. I was interested in the GWR votes, where the 312 votes were spread across 41 suggestions with the following getting more than 20 votes: 28xx 2-8-0; 42xx 2-8-2T; 72xx 2-8-2T; Castle 4-6-0; City of Truro 4-4-0; Bulldog 4-4-0 Which only leaves the 42xx and 72xx not currently being offered in RTR...

I have been tracking the 'most wanted' polls over a few years, and noting the extent to which the various OO manufacturers and commissioning dealers appear to be acting on the higher ranked items. The last couple of years have seen 2007 and 2008 requests largely dealt with, and the top end of the 2009 list now has about half the requested items either available or announced.

The GWR eight coupled tanks have been consistently highly placed over several years; and this coupled with Hornby having visited each of SR, LMS, and LNER with a new tank engine model, is the main reason why (technical difficulties notwithstanding) I ventured a guess that this might be the year of a 42xx from Hornby.

Likewise with DoG: consistently well placed in the wish lists and potentially appealing to Hornby thanks to the commonality of some parts with the Britannia. With its mainline running credentials if Hornby fancied another Railroad 'star engine' this seemed to me to be going begging. The LMS non-gangwayed stock also looked like a logical follow on to the Gresley vehicles. Really thought that in present economic circumstances, that might be it for new steam era models from Hornby.

Now that we have had the press briefing information and hints, I am inclined to be more optimistic. The 'green twin' comment makes me feel that the Maunsell Pull-Push set which has been near the top of the lists for the past few years may well be a candidate. Also something hopefully in the way of a smaller goods engine from the Eastern side of the country - dare we hope?

(If there ever is to be a RTR S15, I have Bachmann as the likely source. They have knocked out useful goods heavies for oop North: the S15 is the SR equivalent, and there is no competing similar looking loco in their range. Is there some tender crossover possible too, when they get around to renewing their LN?)

Doesn't make sense to me, to waste money on duplicating by resurrecting, something that was never that good a model in the first place. I thought Britain's economy was a mess at present. So why would Hornby or anyone sane, want to split the potential sales with their biggest competitor? Time to show the state of the moulds maybe & leave the Blue Pullman to Bachmann.

Or put the development money towards something new, but just as much an icon.

Kevin Martin

Kevin, if you read my post fully, you'd see I was pointedly saying that the two models of differing quality, accuracy and pricing, could in fact cater for two very different markets and not touch each other's sales. Having the Hornby Jinty and Bachman Jinty sold alongside each other has not hurt each other's sales.

• RMweb Gold

Or indeed, those whose layout does not purport to be anywhere between Victoria and Brighton! Even more narrow in scope than the Blue Pullman, the Belle is restricted to those 50 miles if the owner wants to run it regularly. Odd trips to London Bridge are on record, but by comparison with almost any other Southern Railway or BR(S) EMU, it has a limited range. NOLs, BILs, HALs, HAPs have a far wider appeal, surely, and I sense that Bachmann's EPB has found that market very pleasing.

Pleeeeze, requests for "modern standard" re-runs of models is as bad as duplication and we will never move forward. :hunter:

I agree - and I assume that this is why the new Castle hasn't sold as well. I certainly haven't rushed to replace my slightly older Castles with the new model.

I'm sure it would be the same if Hornby did a new King. The cost of such a loco would put me off buying one when I can happily live with the deficiencies of the current version.

I presume, but perhaps someone else could confirm or deny that the Granges and Halls sold better then the new Castles. If so tyhis must be because they represented engines that just weren't available RTR (well discounting the fairly dire old Hornby Hall with moulded on nameplates and wrong wheelbase). I know I bought two of each.

I agree - and I assume that this is why the new Castle hasn't sold as well. I certainly haven't rushed to replace my slightly older Castles with the new model.

I'm sure it would be the same if Hornby did a new King. The cost of such a loco would put me off buying one when I can happily live with the deficiencies of the current version.

I presume, but perhaps someone else could confirm or deny that the Granges and Halls sold better then the new Castles. If so tyhis must be because they represented engines that just weren't available RTR (well discounting the fairly dire old Hornby Hall with moulded on nameplates and wrong wheelbase). I know I bought two of each.

Speaking personally, I was perfectly happy with my slightly outdated Hornby Pen Dennis castle so abstained, IMHO they'd have been better off selecting another model since the Airfix castle isn't too bad. So, IMHO, there's no really good reason to update the 14xx and the 61xx as they are good enough for most people.

Out of the blue suggestion... hows about some easy to install third rail for everyone buying their EMUs since, I suspect, many of their target market won't know you can actually get third rail when they browse their Hornby only stores and catoloogues.

I don't think the Granges sold well. They weren't in the catalogue for long and I noted Hereford still had a few for sale not that long ago. Maybe SK is correct and GWR doesn't actually sell that well. Or it could be that folk looked at spending £130+ on a Castle and decided their Airfix (or older Hornby) one wasn't that bad after all!

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to disagree chaps but the new Castle is a quantum leap from the old one and I believe it has sold well.The old Castle when compared to the new one really shows its age, the plastic rods, wrong shaped cab roof, traction tyres masses of daylight under the front bogie etc etc. Anyway the Castle has been discussed at great length elswhwere, suffice to say it was very well received when it came out.

"So, IMHO, there's no really good reason to update the 14xx and the 61xx as they are good enough for most people" sadly if we all took this stance then we would still be running old Tri-Ang and Hornby Dublo locos

Speaking personally, I was perfectly happy with my slightly outdated Hornby Pen Dennis castle so abstained, IMHO they'd have been better off selecting another model since the Airfix castle isn't too bad. So, IMHO, there's no really good reason to update the 14xx and the 61xx as they are good enough for most people.

Out of the blue suggestion... hows about some easy to install third rail for everyone buying their EMUs since, I suspect, many of their target market won't know you can actually get third rail when they browse their Hornby only stores and catoloogues.

The previous Hornby Castles (Pendennis etc) driving wheels were way too small, a legacy from Dapol changing to loco drive. Did the Castle not sell well? Few stockists have any left and Tintagel appeared to sell out quite quickly. I have only seen the DCC ones recently, though clearly ales were not helped by the QC issues on Tintagel Castle. The Airfix release was a good body, I used one with A Comet chassis and it captures the look well.

The 14XX is a good model. The chassis has been through a revamp and sadly, now has the horrible Scalextric motor in. Hornby's challenge with the 14XX is that it only a 14XX. The body needs modification for a pure Great Western 48XX model as Airfix based the mouldings on a later rebuilt preserved example with topfeed, a feature not appearing until the late 1940's. I would suggest it really needs a better motor and pick up arrangements as the traction tyres do not help pick up. As mine only needed to pull an Autocoach, I substituted the traction tyre wheels with plain and the pick up issues went away.

The 61XX has been through several chassis revamps from the Airfix days and now has see through spokes on the bogie wheels unlike the original Airfix and better pick ups. I agree it is still an excellent model and there is very little that can be done to improve it that cannot be done at home on the kitchen table. Again it would surely benefit from a better motor.

On the subject or third rail, Peco have sold components for Southern style third rail for many years.

I suspect, the new Castle chassis will be put under a Great Western Star class within the next few years. The new chassis is not full length to the Castle body and appears to have designed for futher use under a second locomotive.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, well done chaps, it's amazing how long you can make a 'Southern' loco list if you borrow many items from other companies and add in some RTP buildings and loads of modern stuff.... wink_mini.gif

Just to be completely fair, how's about you do a comparison list based on the same thought patterns for the WR, ER and MR? Think I'd put money on all three being much, much longer.

At the end of the day, the point I was making was that as a Southern (steam) modeler, the vast majority of my Southern steam loco stock is non-Bachmann. This Hornby vs Bachmann imbalance doesn't really crop up for the other three and I think I'm correct in saying that fin the case of the ER and MR there's models duplicated by both.

The point I was making, which I stand by absolutely, was that to state as you did that 'Bachmann have absolutely no interest in Southern stuff' is patently incorrect. And yes, a list of locos and stock for the other 3 would be bigger, simply because they were all much bigger concerns than the Southern !

Here's hoping Hornby and Bachmann satisfy all our needs next year !

PS and I think the most modern item I mentioned was the Class 47, introduced in.........1963 (and allocated to the SR in 1966, albeit only a few).

Archived