• RMweb Premium

I think one reason signs such as Piccadily Railway, District Railway, Southern etc. still persist and haven't been expunged is that they are not so different as the later naming - Piccadily Line, Southern Region etc. and were unlikely to cause confusion.

Some of the other companies not incorporated into later line names are pretty rare to find. (City and South London Railway anybody?)

Keith

Are you sure its not the one at Shenfield?

I understand the Shenfield Shark was removed last weekend. It was jacked up on skates and I think it was taken to Chelmsford for removal by road, no doubt from the old Royal Mail siding. Its destination was the Epping Ongar Railway.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure they featured in an episode of "The Train now Departing".

It did. Bizarrely I watched it on iplayer only the other day. Think it was the one where the guy takes a dissapoonting trip to Exmouth.

• RMweb Premium

Those two BR Blue vans. one GUV and one CCT are still lurking at Oxford Station.  Saw them the other day in exactly the same position I saw them in when I last visited twenty or more years ago.  I think the station has been rebuilt at least once if not twice around them!

• Like 1

Crossrail apparently need every inch of siding space at Shenfield so the shark had to go. Happily its been preserved now, and should be restored in due course.

Now all we need is for all the GWR stuff to be sold from Ongar...... I’m assuming that they still have it?

Not that I dislike the GWR it just does not belong there.

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I hope this is okay, but Big Jim posted a photo on his "down by the tracks with Colas" thread which gives a nice update on his photo from post #36.

The rediscovered Great Western sign at High Wycombe. Jim's caption:

"Nice to see they have tidied up the sign that was discovered under an advertising hoarding a few years back, they have added the words 'formerly' to it so as not to confuse non locals!!"

23320E33-CB98-42C9-B6A8-8E32BD776A71.jpg

• Like 8

There was something similar underneath the north end of Waterloo Bridge in London until recently, it may still be there. It was actually the support for a hanging sign, concerning the Embankment tramway turning across the road to enter the southern portal of the Kingsway tram subway. I must have a look to see if it still exists next time I'm working that way. 

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another day, another disused track bed walk. This time near Cricklade on the old M&SWJR.

Now this one might require a 'magic eye' sort of look, but in there somewhere is a ballast bin!

post-119-0-02672100-1422213560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An NSE car stop sign at Burnham Bucks however it might well have gone by now as the GWML electrification work progresses.

There are loads of them on the chiltern network, particularly on the london underground part of the MET

All the messroom signs in marylebone are NSE branded too, dont know if i've posted them in this thread but i've put them somewhere on rmweb

• 1 month later...

Anybody spotted this in Waterloo Station?

attachicon.gifwaterloo.jpg

attachicon.gifwaterloo2.jpg

Keith

Ah the memories - in the late 80's, I worked for while in the office behind that window (Room 159 ISTR). One of the tiny individual windows actually opens - enabling me to check which 50's were on the Exeters' during the day and to pop out for a end of platform photo...............

The internal layout of the General Offices have changed out of all recognition since those days - all open plan and grey.

EDIT:

Also watched the demolishing of old yard & station buildings and the creation of a massive hole opposite into which the WIT was built though by then I'd moved to the less frenetic environs of Fraggle Rock (always loved that nickname).

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

Ah the memories - in the late 80's, I worked for while in the office behind that window (Room 159 ISTR). One of the tiny individual windows actually opens - enabling me to check which 50's were on the Exeters' during the day and to pop out for a end of platform photo...............

The internal layout of the General Offices have changed out of all recognition since those days - all open plan and grey.

They were even more 'open plan' when the conversion work was underway.  For some peculiar reason it was necessary to go into them to get your security pass for Fraggle Rock (Friars Bridge Court) and at least part of the access involved walking along a temporary walking route a couple of scaffolding planks wide.  Definitely an improvement when the 'all grey' finished version emerged although the bit where I was also had private offices as well as open plan areas one side suited the 'plane spotters while my office looked out over part of the concourse on the (LSWR) railway side.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen this lying in a scrapyard in Glasgow. It's travelled some distance to where it used to stand. There were a few more but couldn't make out the names.

post-4044-0-00914500-1426628875_thumb.jpg

edit to add photo which had vanished.

Edited by david12345
  • Like 3