EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Etched-kit-built-BR-W-Mk-1-Restaurant-Car-R-N-W1924-in-lined-maroon-livery-/281242316515?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item417b592ee3

I've tried bidding on this and I get a message saying I can't  because I've bought something from this seller in the last 10 days (no I have not)- what the **** is that all about?

P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Etched-kit-built-BR-W-Mk-1-Restaurant-Car-R-N-W1924-in-lined-maroon-livery-/281242316515?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item417b592ee3

I've tried bidding on this and I get a message saying I can't  because I've bought something from this seller in the last 10 days (no I have not)- what the **** is that all about?

P

That's supposed to give everyone a chance. If you've successfully bought an item, you're basically put in a virtual holding area for that 10 day period until they let you out to play again.

I think it was meant to stop a few bidders (basically traders) monopolising all the bids.

Edited by Horsetan

P

Duck,

I had exactly the same problem with the same seller (although I had actually bought from him). It is the only seller I have come across this with and spent some time e-mailing him and so on, eventually got it sorted.

Tony

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Super-Detailed-Hornby-GWR-0-6-0T-Pannier-Tank-Steam-Locomotive-6412-/161200337528?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258849f278

Super detailed as what? Landfill?

Surely the model is a representative of an 8750 - if so, why has it been renumbered 6412?

Fitted with 'scale wheels,' a skew-whiff number-plate, wobbly handrails and it's unclear if the buffer beam numbers are actually there.

Horrible artefact.  Landfill it immediately you jokers.

EDIT: I just realised it's Rails of Sheffield selling this.  They should be ashamed.

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Super-Detailed-Hornby-GWR-0-6-0T-Pannier-Tank-Steam-Locomotive-6412-/161200337528?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258849f278

Surely the model is a representative of an 8750 - if so, why has it been renumbered 6412?

And isn't it missing a crank pin on the rear offside wheel?

• RMweb Gold

Cor - if they can get £44 for that I wonder what I can get for mine which not only have straight handrail but also have lamp irons and various other mods plus a full repaint (BR black) and proper numberplates which includes a smokebox plate on brackets so standing proud of the smokebox door and the Romfords actually all have crankpins.  Mind you mine (the finished one) is numbered as an 8750 and the original Triang body is a pretty poor representation of those being probably nearer to a 64XX in many respects.

But once upon a time in the land of long ago it was the only reasonable way short of a K's kit (!!!) of getting a not too bad looking pannier tank (and having done all taht hacking and carving all those years ago it's one reason why I don't now rate  things like moulded handrails or moulded smokebox door handles - I carved off all taht sort of stuff back in the days when I could see it without optical aids.

• RMweb Gold

Erm where did "call boy" come from?

About half the LNER A3 class engines were named after famous racehorses that had won races like the St Leger and The Derby back in the 1910s/20s/30s.

'Call Boy' won the 1927 Epsom Derby.

,Back in those days call boy was a theatrical term for a 'caller' of actors when they're due on stage. A somewhat different meaning today!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

Super detail consists of the numberplates, some wire handrails, Romford/Markits wheels and a coat of paint as far as I can see...oh and Real Coal in the bunker...

The 6400 were auto fitted, and were much the same to look at as the later cab 5700 class (8750), but with smaller wheels (The Romfords look bigger than the Hornby wheels to me!). Used in South Wales amongst other places.

So...someone wanted an Auto-fitted Pannier?

Surely that's got to violate listing conditions - misleading photo ?

OK - help me out here, I'm not a modern image fan, and additionally have no clue what the real value of Hornby Collectors Club items are, but isn't this a LITTLE off target???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-Gauge-Hornby-R3216-Diamond-Jubilee-Class-67-Diesel-Loco-BRAND-NEW-/390743659267#ht_573wt_1278

I was on eBay looking at "Ending soonest" and this item was 1 minute from closing so I thought I'd see what it went for, simply idle curiosity (too much time on my hands :) ).

The current bid was about 168 quid, then it SHOT to 285 quid in the last 15 seconds or less...SURELY this can't be worth that much.. can it? Or am I sorely out-of-touch!

OK - help me out here, I'm not a modern image fan, and additionally have no clue what the real value of Hornby Collectors Club items are, but isn't this a LITTLE off target???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-Gauge-Hornby-R3216-Diamond-Jubilee-Class-67-Diesel-Loco-BRAND-NEW-/390743659267#ht_573wt_1278

I was on eBay looking at "Ending soonest" and this item was 1 minute from closing so I thought I'd see what it went for, simply idle curiosity (too much time on my hands :) ).

The current bid was about 168 quid, then it SHOT to 285 quid in the last 15 seconds or less...SURELY this can't be worth that much.. can it? Or am I sorely out-of-touch!

I certainly wouldn't pay that for it!

Out of touch Ian they have been selling for that and more !! It is crazy though. 

Apparently - I now know I'm out-of-touch for sure :)

But even as/when I'm looking for locos in my era (BR/SR Steam) and folks are asking much more than I'm prepared to pay, I have to say I've seldom seen an RTR at that high a price auctioned, most of the lunatic prices I see tend to be of the "Buy It Now" variety from a couple of prominent and perpetual "vintage/antique" dealers...

If it's not to rude a question can I ask what a Hornby Colelctors Club member might have paid originally for that item? Maybe I should become a member and buy/flog everything the provide for members! :jester:

Apparently - I now know I'm out-of-touch for sure  :)

But even as/when I'm looking for locos in my era (BR/SR Steam) and folks are asking much more than I'm prepared to pay, I have to say I've seldom seen an RTR at that high a price auctioned, most of the lunatic prices I see tend to be of the "Buy It Now" variety from a couple of prominent and perpetual "vintage/antique" dealers...

If it's not to rude a question can I ask what a Hornby Colelctors Club member might have paid originally for that item? Maybe I should become a member and buy/flog everything the provide for members! :jester:

Nice to know there's someone who models the same region as me! :jester:

Strange looking nipples!

For ccawood:-

Strange:- Unusual.

Looking:- To see.

Nipples:- The dark part of the skin which sticks out from the breast of a mammal and through which milk is supplied to the young.

Hope this clears up you not understanding what I wrote!

This is the first recorded example in this thread of Horny being far more appropriate than Hornby  :mosking:

• Like 1