When the real thing looks like a model

One could get even more pedantic and say, 'One loco - but FOUR engines.'

Technically, each cylinder, rods and wheels on that side were an engine. A GWR driver was forced to disconnect the rocking lever to one outside cylinder on his King class loco, and got into trouble for reporting that he continued with the train using 'three engines'!

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 4

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough/it's been locked/no-one dare, but how come there isn't a Pedants Corner thread on RMweb like VIZ had? 

("Engine" lifts from diesel electric locomotives is my pet peeve.) 

'Things That Annoy' came closest I guess? 

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A pedant's corner is an excellent idea, Classix; I'd be a frequent contributor!

The very activity of modelling demands a degree of innate pedantry; the more pedantic you are, the better your models should be in theory.  Doesn't always translate to practice...

• RMweb Gold

That looks like one of those model railways where the builder puts unnecessary curves in the track because "it looks better than straight track".  When I see something like that, I mentally want to undertake a realinement exercise to straighten out the track to enable a higher line speed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2019 at 06:03, pH said:

Substantial infrastructure on a garden railway:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/706252/

Is it just me or does that caboose appears to be to a different scale to the rest of reality (or is it just conveniently parked in just the right place on an adjacent track)?

Regards,

Alex.

40 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Is it just me or does that caboose appears to be to a different scale to the rest of reality (or is it just conveniently parked in just the right place on an adjacent track)?

Regards,

Alex.

It’s you (no offence meant). Cabooses (cabeese?) were normally lower in height than the rest of the stock as they only had to hold people. This particular one is a bay window caboose so lacks the cupola that brings most other varieties up to a more normal height at one end or the middle.  Add to that the fact that an SD45 is a very big engine and you get this strange  appearing combination.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Not sure if we've already had this one - Brickyard Crossing, Garrison Street, Birmingham, 1948...

Sorry, that can't be a model. There are too many 5 or 6 plank opens and they are all the right length ;-)

Simon

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, davknigh said:

It’s you (no offence meant). Cabooses (cabeese?) were normally lower in height than the rest of the stock as they only had to hold people. This particular one is a bay window caboose so lacks the cupola that brings most other varieties up to a more normal height at one end or the middle.  Add to that the fact that an SD45 is a very big engine and you get this strange  appearing combination.

Cheers,

David

Despite that they are still quite large. I visited Mangapps a couple of weeks ago and was able to go inside the CP caboose that they have there.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Not sure if we've already had this one - Brickyard Crossing, Garrison Street, Birmingham, 1948...

FB BRICKYARD CROSSING 1948.jpg

That's a new one, (as an interesting variation on the bus on a bridge theme), a Level crossing on a bridge!

Kev.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Often buildings remain whilst railways go, seems the other way around there. From a look on Google I've found one building in that photo that's still there whilst all the railways remain.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

FB BRICKYARD CROSSING 1948.jpg

Nice adaptation of Metcalfe terraced houses to work on a curve.

• Like 2