coachmann

I have to say that models of real places look, well, real-having never modelled a real location myself.

Ed

You flatter me Ed. While I started out to make a realistic model of Greenfield, the location has ended up largely a figment of my imagination designed around a sprawling 'S' instead of a continuous curve. Various bits 'carry' most of what was really Greenfield but the rest has been assembled in the search for simplicity, hence the off-stage double junction that does not actually exist but makes for simple wiring. The branch to the factory is pure fiction but ended up as the bit I most enjoyed making.

This is rather telling, as it made me realise I like modelling branch lines! A branch wouldnt work of course when I have too much of a liking for coaches and their infinite variety. But the next layout will give me both and could not be simpler. 

• RMweb Gold

Stunning photos of a spectacular model! Found it hard to choose between like for the great picture angles or more craftsmanship for the quality of the scenic work. So I had to say both here after clicking like! I think that the set of photos cement my belief that you should retain the down canopy as it adds so much to the photographic compositions.

Neil

Coachman

I think we all wish we could model places to scale all but large clubs and the lucky few can afford to achieve that aim. Secondly as your first love is coaches Greenfield (your version) seems a great backdrop to admire them. I think we all know what its like to aspire to recreate what's in our minds eye, but for those of us who do not know the location its a great representation of a northern scene.

Lets face it even Pendon does a representation of the area the model is in.

I hope you enjoy seeing your stock pass by for a while, I know we all will 

I hope somebody will photograph this for BRM before you dismantle it! (Hint hint.)  In fact I hope you get it wired up properly. Greenfield has great atmosphere & it's not apparent when looking at it that it's a roundy. Fantastic modelling. I look forward to the delph branch. Though Im sure you could sell this for top dollar rather than dismantle it......  I hope it gives you as much pleasure as it's given me just reading about it! Though if you must break it up don't photograph that bit. I don't want to see it!!! Thanks for sharing the journey. 

Some colourful droppings in the grass hereabouts...........

post-6680-0-33131800-1402568212.jpg

Wow, an electric storm in the shape of a super Super D on Eastern Region ECS...........

post-6680-0-10302400-1402568215.jpg

Yep folks, it's all tested and up and running. I anticipated at least one dead section or short, but the Jinty 0-6-0T negotiated every piece of pointwork and crossover with not a glitch hopping over spilt PVA and seagull crap! 

• RMweb Premium

A landmark moment Larry, and I hope you have fun playing trains.

As mentioned by Mickey and others above, by not sticking to the prototype, you have gained a layout which looks and works well whereas by trying to cram everything in as it was, you had to compromise and that's probably the reason that you were never happy. I had the same with Bacup; if I had tried to model the location as it really was, I would have needed a barn and you wouldn't have seen much of the station because it was hidden behind a huge mill. The version I have ended up with is a far cry from the real location but is hopefully recognisable, which is what you have achieved.

A landmark moment Larry, and I hope you have fun playing trains.

As mentioned by Mickey and others above, by not sticking to the prototype, you have gained a layout which looks and works well whereas by trying to cram everything in as it was, you had to compromise and that's probably the reason that you were never happy. I had the same with Bacup; if I had tried to model the location as it really was, I would have needed a barn and you wouldn't have seen much of the station because it was hidden behind a huge mill. The version I have ended up with is a far cry from the real location but is hopefully recognisable, which is what you have achieved.

Whatever you did with Bacup, it definitely captures Bacup. But I agree compromise is probably essential at the end of the day. Her Indoors thought it was "loveely" watching two trains going round this morning. It also takes a surprisingly long time for a slowish train to do the circuit. I know because I went outside with the track-cleaner to remove some bird poo and it seemed to take ages for the loco to put in an appearance. 

• RMweb Gold

The Super D heading E.Region ECS is shown again below......I don't know what made the two middle coaches lean over.....

It's a good job it was ECS then...

COACHES : A day has been spent putting all the Eastern Region coaches into trains and running them a full pelt around the shed....forwards and back 'uds!  Shock-horror, I unwrapped a Gresley Open Third in BR maroon......I thought they had resprayed them all!

LOCOS : Every loco I own was put through its paces with some surprising results. The "hunters" were the Hornby Rebuilt Scot, Black Fives and Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T. The best of the Hornby's was undoubtedly the Railroad Duke of Gloucester......It runs like an arrow as does the Bachmann Super D, Compound and all the various Bachmann 0-6-0's.

TRACK :  Some derailments occurred on the 27" radius inner mainline curve due to bogie wheels catching front steps (easily sorted).  But those pesky 24" radius points in the fiddle yard will have to go. The Lanky 0-6-0 still doesn't like the curve leading to the private sidings so when I build a branchline the curves will have to be eased.

LAYOUT : If anything I am even more determined to build a new layout now. The general gloom not helped by the station means my only clear view of trains is in the short space between the goods shed and the hole to the outside of the shed. Even here the signal box is annoyingly blocking the view.  The best view of passing trains is on the 14' fiddle yard baseboard but of course it is unfortunately backlit.

Here's a thought.  Build a layout that doesn't have a station.  Just a small marshalling yard.  Then your people carriers can hurtle by, while you get on with some leisurely shunting.  I don't see the point of model stations, they just cover up all the interesting tracky bits, and nobody gets on or off the coaches.

• RMweb Gold

LOCOS : Every loco I own was put through its paces with some surprising results. The "hunters" were the Hornby Rebuilt Scot, Black Fives and Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4T. The best of the Hornby's was undoubtedly the Railroad Duke of Gloucester......It runs like an arrow as does the Bachmann Super D, Compound and all the various Bachmann 0-6-0's.

Hi Larry, my Hornby black 5 hunts all over the place too, that's why I built a Brassmasters one!

There is very little that can be added to this Greenfield thread now. I could post pictures of the 10.15 to Delph or the 14.00 from Newcaste etc, but it would look pretty silly without any form of signalling. I'm not buying any until I see something operational that I like, and they would be for my next layout anyway.

And so if it's okay I will commence a new thread at some point to give a wee overview of the new location and my aims. Once work starts it should be a quick layout and the new wiring will be re soldered to new track as it is laid.  But for the moment though I am studying photos and pondering a few tiny niggles.

• RMweb Gold

There is very little that can be added to this Greenfield thread now. I could post pictures of the 10.15 to Delph or the 14.00 from Newcaste etc, but it would look pretty silly without any form of signalling. I'm not buying any until I see something operational that I like, and they would be for my next layout anyway.

Why not try and get some Ratio ones off the well-known auction site and knock them together as none operational?

Like others have said, thanks for the ride, even if it got hairy at times. Look out for some Coachmannisms on my developing layout.

• RMweb Premium

The thing is, we have all grown so fond of the 'Greenfield Saga' that it seems sad to reach the end, with your take on 'And they all lived happily ever after'. Signals or not, I can't be the only one who was really looking forward to seeing photos of trains passing through, shunting the yard, working down the industrial sidings, etc.

Forget the Happy Ever After, WE WANT TRAINS :)

Archived