Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Funny you should say that...

I was thinking, the camera will probably fit inside the Cravens DMU - I'll have to try it once I've sorted lights and stuff.

Hi Al, just popped in for a quick look around, mainly at pictures still though.

Have you see the video and brake van and cab rides in, North East Model Railway, (Threnholme Junction), probably on about page 4 or 5 by now but a great train ride around a huge layout by the looks of it. some really good marshaling yards and shunting too.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, great to hear from you. hope you're still improving.

Yes, Doug's videos were one of the main reasons I wanted to get a little video cam, his videos are great.

Cheers mate, all the best,

Al.

• Like 2

Still waiting for the video to upload to YouTube, but in the meantime, I've cut the hanging basket liner roughly to size, to give you an idea of the finished landscape.

Obviously the edges will be blended in, and there will be flockage and scatterage, and probably wallage and fenceage as well :)

Anyway, here's how it looks:

attachicon.giflandscaping001.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping002.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping003.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping004.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping005.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping006.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping007.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping008.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping009.jpg

attachicon.giflandscaping010.jpg

There, that should keep Bodgit quiet...

Cheers all,

Al.

Yes indeed young Sir, not been able to look in for a while but its coming on really well, I stopped off at Peak Forest / Dove Holes last time I went up to George T's and you have it spot on mate, well done. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodge

• RMweb Gold

I've spent most of this evening playing with the miniature camera again, and editing the resulting footage into some semblance of order.

I have bought some additional lighting for the cellar, and the fittings are up, and wired, but not yet fitted with bulbs or connected to the mains.

For the purposes of the video, I therefore used a desk lamp, and chased the loco round the layout to try and increase the lighting where the camera was.

In this endeavour, I was only partially successful, and managed to trip myself up, and break a light bulb, in the process. :)

For these videos, the object was to get a cabside view, and to that end I stuck the camera onto the side of the tender of a few different locos using Gaffa tape:

post-17302-0-26573500-1404514113_thumb.jpg

A large lump of lead was added to the tender in place of the coal load, to counterbalance the weight of the camera, and calm it down a bit.

Here's the resulting video:

Quite an interesting viewpoint, I think, and better quality in the main than the first attempt with the flatbed wagon.

If I get the lighting sorted tomorrow, I might try the camera inside the Cravens' DMU.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 7

Hi Al

Just catching up with what everyone's been up to.

Firstly congratulations on 2000 posts and keeping us entertained.

Secondly I love the mini cam videos. Might invest in one of those myself. Good idea putting it on the side of the loco just don't go through any tight bridges.

Just one complaint. That 9f going through the cutting should be a pair of Railfreight tractors with a rake of ICI hoppers in tow. Sorry, only joking. Great progress mate. Looking forward to the drivers eye view from the Cravens.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've been a busy little B over the weekend, as it was Bakewell's carnival, but I did manage to get the extra lighting finished, and take some more videos.

The lighting in the cellar/railway room has now been quadrupled, with the addition of five 70watt halogen bulbs in fittings scattered about the ceiling.

Here's as it was:

post-17302-0-50324700-1404681649_thumb.jpg

a bit gloomy, especially in the corners,

And here's how it looks now:

post-17302-0-80937200-1404681731_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-65470100-1404681737_thumb.jpg

Much brighter, and a more even spread of light.

This has meant that I was able to try the video camera on a different truck - I used the chassis of an old Lima GUV - which is much smoother, and here's the result:

I think you'll agree that's a lot better than the first attempt.

Then, as mentioned previously, I attempted to fit the camera inside my Class 105 Cravens DMU.

This required some slight modifications, and some trial and error before it was successful, but I managed it eventually.

Here's the trailer car with the body removed:

post-17302-0-92384300-1404681719_thumb.jpg

The lump of Gaffa tape is where the camera will sit. Here it is mounted:

post-17302-0-27353300-1404681727_thumb.jpg

I had to cut away the sides of the internal door frame, as they were impeding the camera's view:

post-17302-0-91333900-1404681716_thumb.jpg

I also removed the front windows:

post-17302-0-23748500-1404681722_thumb.jpg

and the complete driver's compartment:

post-17302-0-11891200-1404681724_thumb.jpg

as I found that the camera focussed on the partition, and everything else was unviewable.

The Gaffa tape in the roof blocks out the interior lighting, which was blinding the camera.

In addition, I removed a section of the side windows, as reflections from them also impeded the camera image.

All this took some experimentation, viewing the video after each trial, so it took longer than I thought, but eventually we were ready to roll.

Here's the end result:

All was going well... I started on the Up line, and did a few circuits of the layout, then I switched to the Down line, but I'd forgotten that some fool had parked a Fowler 4F just past the Goods Shed :O :nono: :nono:

Oops! :D

Anyway, there you go, as promised, some DMU footage.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nice! Something I want to try myself.

The lighting is much improved and the view of the station-building and the excellent awning, is very good.

Tonkin aka Tony.

Thanks mate, just to confirm, the DMU went back together again, no problem, so apart from the chunk taken out of the partition (which will be un-noticeable from outside) it's in full working order again.

"No DMUs were harmed in the making of this video" :)

The lighting makes a big difference, and I'm pleased with how it looks now.

There's also the added benefit that in winter I've got underfloor heating if I leave the lights on...

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For that heavy shunt I am going to have to impose a seven day suspension, without pay.

I hope you have some factor 30 and sun glasses when you now go modelling!

For that heavy shunt I am going to have to impose a seven day suspension, without pay.

In defence of my colleague, I have to point out that at no point prior to the alleged shunt was there any indication by means of lineside signalling or detonators that the line was occupied. Further M'lud, the locomotive in question was not carrying any form of rearward illumination, to whit the designated red oil lamps.

To summarise then, this is a gross injustice to penalise my colleague, and I demand a cuppa and three Jaffa Cakes as recompense for the stress endured by this incident, and the mud flinging subsequent. Besides that's a collision not a shunt.

The defence rests.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In defence of my colleague, I have to point out that at no point prior to the alleged shunt was there any indication by means of lineside signalling or detonators that the line was occupied. Further M'lud, the locomotive in question was not carrying any form of rearward illumination, to whit the designated red oil lamps.

To summarise then, this is a gross injustice to penalise my colleague, and I demand a cuppa and three Jaffa Cakes as recompense for the stress endured by this incident, and the mud flinging subsequent. Besides that's a collision not a shunt.

The defence rests.

C6T.

Yeah, wot 'ee said, it weren't my fault, not no 'ow...

Hi Al, just catching up after a bit a lean spell, the vids look excellent mate, its coming on nicely, have you got a driver for the DMU it would add a lot to the footage mate.

Well done.

Bodge.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, just catching up after a bit a lean spell, the vids look excellent mate, its coming on nicely, have you got a driver for the DMU it would add a lot to the footage mate.

Well done.

Bodge.

Cheers Andy, you're right, I need to find a driver.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who, having bought a new shiny toy, proceed to take it apart to see all the cogs and springs...

The camera has been no exception (although of course I justified it by telling myself I wanted to see if it would fit into an N gauge wagon, for Cav) :)

So here it is, in all it's naked glory...

(persons of a nervous disposition should look away now).

First, an overview of the case and components:

post-17302-0-44332800-1404929651_thumb.jpg

The camera circuit board:

post-17302-0-81305000-1404929653_thumb.jpg

The other side, with the battery displaced to see the components:

post-17302-0-14565000-1404929656_thumb.jpg

This is the actual camera - that little black square bit on the end:

post-17302-0-37122000-1404929658_thumb.jpg

and the flexible connector between the camera and circuit board:

post-17302-0-73796900-1404929660_thumb.jpg

I reckon that with a bit of careful soldering, it would be possible to remove the CCD Module from the PCB and give it a longer lead, such that you could position the camera itself in the optimum position and leave the circuit board behind...

Hmmm...

Something to ponder on.

In the meantime, I put it all back together and:

a/ it still worked!

b/ there were no bits left over!

:O :o

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Shock News! :O

Bill Posters, the criminal suspected of being behind the defacement of Westerham, Brasted and Bacup stations, has struck again!

post-17302-0-73361100-1404936803_thumb.jpg

Our intrepid reporter, alerted by station staff, was able to take these incriminating pictures of the suspects:

Firstly, this specimen, described as "a shifty looking slightly camp fellah" who played tag with our hero round the goods yard

post-17302-0-04746800-1404936812_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-26868900-1404936810_thumb.jpg

Then, this chap, who we caught in the act of applying posters to the provendor store

post-17302-0-23470400-1404936806_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, our reporter was too busy taking photographs to actually catch the miscreants...

Finally, who is this mystery figure, who watched the goings on through binoculars, but never took any part in proceedings?

post-17302-0-53225800-1404936808_thumb.jpg

The photographs, and witness statements, have been passed to Kipper of the Yard.

More news as we receive it.

• Like 6

Those sandwiches look a bit dire and as for the clothes ,well?The two blokes supposedly looking at the controls look very suspicious and the guard should have asked for their tickets and id when they boarded the unit bet they are undercover head office types.Its a sobering thought that children spoke like this then (I did not I think) overall its a good video. :scratchhead: 

• Like 1