Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Very nice Al. It's good to see some stock rolling through, although looking at it, some of those wagons look like they need weighting down - there's a bit of wobble in some of them as they negotiate the points. The tunnel and cutting look great.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Al.  You'll be wanting to sort out some kind of camera truck at some point so we can have a driver's eye view - please?

You read my mind...

I've just bought a USB-stick camera which I hope will be small enough and of good enough quality to act as both a cam-truck, and also find some interesting views from other parts of the layout.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Al. It's good to see some stock rolling through, although looking at it, some of those wagons look like they need weighting down - there's a bit of wobble in some of them as they negotiate the points. The tunnel and cutting look great.

Thanks Lee, yes, I need to start looking at rolling stock now, some of the back-to-backs on the trucks are a bit iffy, so they tend to jump over the points, and there's a few of them need some weight in them, as you say.

I noticed this morning, having watched the vid again, that as the train passes the end of the goods yard there's two trucks running on the sleepers :O

Still, we'll get there, eventually :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

I tried that, but I'm only running DC at the moment, and two locos don't play very nicely together. What happened was my 4F (banking) just shoved all the trucks off the track, and the Crab stalled! :D

I tried it as a double header but that didn't work either.

For the moment, until I get DCC up and running, I'll have to stick to single locos... :(

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Can I recommend getting some better lighting - both for the videos and stills?  The cutting is quite deep and your current room lights aren't sufficient to illuminate it's depths.

Hi Jon, yep, it's on the list :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Depends whether it's going via Peak Forest or down to Buxton. I seem to remember it's different numbers for the two routes. I think Bill Hudson's tome has the answer.

• RMweb Gold

Class 4 engines over 29 loaded wagons to Peak Forest and over 26 to Buxton needed a banker. (Bill Hudson) Over 45 and 40 respectively needed a pilot as well!

a bit more work this afternoon.

I've started to ballast the newly laid track, to finish off the cutting at the goods yard end, and finish of the tunnel mouth at that end.

attachicon.giftrack-relaying010.jpg

attachicon.giftrack-relaying011.jpg

And I stuck the tunnel mouth to the polystyrene back piece:

attachicon.giflandscaping021.jpg

I also sculpted the big block of polystyrene which forms the main structure of the hillside:

attachicon.giflandscaping020.jpg

I added a buffer stop to the end of the goods yard head shunt:

attachicon.giflandscaping022.jpg

and finally I filled in the missing piece of the grass slope on the side of the cutting:

attachicon.giflandscaping023.jpg

I've got some more video to upload in a bit.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

The portal will seriously look gorgeous and the surrounding area develops. Great eye for colour

• RMweb Gold

A couple of folk earlier in the thread mentioned getting a miniature camera for doing videos.

Well, at the weekend, I ordered this:

post-17302-0-56426300-1404330677_thumb.jpg

No, it's not just a USB Flash drive, although it looks like one:

post-17302-0-33164900-1404330679_thumb.jpg

but it's got a hole in the end:

post-17302-0-02172400-1404330681_thumb.jpg

And in there is a (supposedly) HD video camera....

The physical size of it makes it practical to do this:

post-17302-0-09118900-1404330683_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-82288400-1404330684_thumb.jpg

which means I can do videos like this:

Hopefully, when I've sorted out the lights, the track, the camera mounting and the speed of the driver, I'll even be able to produce decent video :no: :no:

:scratchhead:

Still, it shows what may be possible.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 8

Magic camera Al, the video is just like the one on famous 'Vale Scene' at 'Pendon' which I believe had links in the last BRM issue. Very hi-tech!

Look forward to more as the scenery develops,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Magic camera Al, the video is just like the one on famous 'Vale Scene' at 'Pendon' which I believe had links in the last BRM issue. Very hi-tech!

Look forward to more as the scenery develops,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks very much Jock.

Comparing my layout to Pendon is an undeserved compliment, you're giving me a lot to live up to :O

Cheers mate,

Al.

2000 posts!

Wow, hadn't realised it was creeping up...

Thanks everybody for contributing to the thread, it's been great so far.

Al.

Congratulations. Well deserved. Good humour, and good modelling always worth coming to look.

And I'll look forward to many more......