Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Much potential with the minicam I think Al, thanks for posting.

Can you give us a link for more details (cost/spec's etc) please.

C6T.

Hi mate, the camera is this one:

http://www.spyspace.co.uk/spy-gadgets/u9-usb-video-surveilance-dongle-stick-black/

Model number is Ixium U9

The Video Format is 1280x960 at 30FPS, records in AVI format.

I paid £24.99 for it.

You need a barrier wagon to take care of the overhang! How do you switch that camera off and on?

It's small enough that it will just about get away without a barrier wagon, although I think a longer wheelbase wagon would be a benefit to smooth out the ride a bit.

There are switches on the sides which control power and video/stills functions, and it also has a motion detection feature - not so useful for what I want it for.

This evening I'm going to try taking some video using the camera in different static positions round the layout where it's not possible to fit my usual compact.

Cheers,

Al.

Fabulous, Al.  I should have bought one of those rather than the £5 special which stopped working on about the third use and which the retailer refused to refund or replace "because I'd had it too long" (well it arrived and sat in an enveloped for a month) showing a complete lack of customer service or knowledge of the Sale of Goods Act...

Congrats on 2,000 posts, too!

Edited by C&WR

• RMweb Gold

Whats the external dimensions of the camera Al? I guess its a bit big for N is it?

Hi mate, you might get away with it:

• Size [mm]: 73(L) x 25(W) x 11(D)

will that fit in the loading gauge for N?

EDIT: Hmm, no, I guess not, N gauge society quotes 19.8mm for maximum stock width...

Edited by acg_mr

2000 posts!

Wow, hadn't realised it was creeping up...

Thanks everybody for contributing to the thread, it's been great so far.

Al.

Crept up? I think you've roared past it! :superman:  I've only just checked it out and this is already post#2015! Congrats. You keep posting and we'll all keep looking ;)

• RMweb Gold

Here here!

I'm creeping towards 600 posts, and I'm 50,000 views behind you ;)

I'm quite sure that once you get the layout started, those figures will expand rapidly, they did for me.

They are very nice, but very expensive, (deservedly so though) and there's a waiting list.

I did consider one, but I thought I'd see what I could manage by other means.

AH, yes, see what you mean...............but..................blurred vision,   as an alternative mean's,............. does have it's drawback's, the    longbow,  spring's to mind...........

• RMweb Gold

AH, yes, see what you mean...............but..................blurred vision,   as an alternative mean's,.............

:D

I'm hoping to remedy that with better lighting and a less enthusiastic driver ;)

Joking apart, the lenses that Bruce uses are very good, and much wider angle than the one on my USB cam, so I may consider one in the future.

For now though, we'll see what I can manage to get out of the cheapy version.

Hopefully, when I've sorted out the lights, the track, the camera mounting and the speed of the driver, I'll be able to produce decent video

We don't doubt you.....

But here's a silly idea:

With your modelling skills, could you fabricate a frame to sit over the front of the camera so that it appears we are sitting in the front compartment of one of the original Derby Lightweight DMUs?

It was one of the really great experiences over that magnificent Midland mainline (and also the LNW line from Buxton down to Stockport) I can remember from the mid 1950s.

dh

• Like 4

We don't doubt you.....

But here's a silly idea:

With your modelling skills, could you fabricate a frame to sit over the front of the camera so that it appears we are sitting in the front compartment of one of the original Derby Lightweight DMUs?

It was one of the really great experiences over that magnificent Midland mainline (and also the LNW line from Buxton down to Stockport) I can remember from the mid 1950s.

dh

Ah, See your back in the land of minituraes..runs as required,  I take it............. "school" is out for summer................. :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

We don't doubt you.....

But here's a silly idea:

dh

Funny you should say that...

I was thinking, the camera will probably fit inside the Cravens DMU - I'll have to try it once I've sorted lights and stuff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say that...

I was thinking, the camera will probably fit inside the Cravens DMU - I'll have to try it once I've sorted lights and stuff.

Al,

Funny you should say that, I was about to suggest it.  I remember doing much the same although in what type I do not know.

Congratulations on 2000+ posts.

I have refined the construction process of the canopy brackets, and I've now completed them.

Here's a quick run through.

I start with two lengths of 20thou x 80 thou stuck together at a 90 degree angle:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy020.jpg

I add the offcuts of tube, largest first:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy021.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-canopy022.jpg

Then a third length of strip is pre-curved and then glued to the short edge:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy023.jpg

I took a section of 20thou x 60thou strip and glued it to the top edge. This particular bracket is for the end section, so the strip goes on one edge to form an 'L' shape, on the intermediate brackets it would go in the middle to form an inverted 'T' This strip keeps the top edge nice and straight.

attachicon.gifstation-canopy024.jpg

Then the remainder of the curved strip is stuck in place:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy025.jpg

As a refinement over the previous method, I add a piece of very fine microstrip - I think it's 5thou square - to the underside of the curved section:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy026.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-canopy027.jpg

This gives the impression of the shape of the prototype iron casting:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy028.jpg

Here's all the longitudinal brackets complete:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy029.jpg

and here's all the roof supports:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy030.jpg

I then started joining them all together to form the completed girders.

Using a small steel rule as a straight edge, I glue two of the longitudinal brackets together with a roof support bracket:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy031.jpg

I did the same with all the others, until the cutting mat began to resemble Butterley Works Yard :)

attachicon.gifstation-canopy032.jpg

Here's a closeup of one of the girders:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy033.jpg

I arranged the completed girders in some semblance of order:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy034.jpg

Then I started adding the canopy supports to the girders:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy035.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-canopy036.jpg

I've set three sections up on the building, to check the geometry and sizes of the pillars, so here's a couple of shots:

attachicon.gifstation-canopy037.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-canopy038.jpg

attachicon.gifstation-canopy039.jpg

As you can see, I've used thinner pillars for the rest of the supports, and I'll swap the first one.

There's a fair bit of fiddling left to do to get everything straight, but it looks OK so far.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Look... :O........  :no: ,...Oh, you don't want too ?

What I have found today......lasercut.......

Hi mate, you might get away with it:

• Size [mm]: 73(L) x 25(W) x 11(D)
will that fit in the loading gauge for N?

EDIT: Hmm, no, I guess not, N gauge society quotes 19.8mm for maximum stock width...

Could mount it sideways but 25mm high on top of a wagon might be a problem under the tunnels. Maybe I can make one myself with a pen camera instead?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could mount it sideways but 25mm high on top of a wagon might be a problem under the tunnels. Maybe I can make one myself with a pen camera instead?

Depends how reckless you are, but you could remove the PCB from the case and use it inside a van - it might fit with a bit of furtling.

I haven't been brave enough to do that, yet...

EDIT:

The same place does do Pen cameras though - they must be smaller, you surely wouldn't have a pen 25mm wide.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1