Hornby speculation thread

reevesthecat

As discussed in another thread it is now time to start the speculation as the announcements are only a week away. Please note we want reasoned speculation not a list of wants.

So please try to stay on the right 'track'.

So what can we expect to see from Hornby, what fits in the range and could make use of existing tooling?

As an example will we see an AC electric loco- could promote sales in the mk2/3 coach range along with those of the DVT, also where Bachmann lead at the moment at least Hornby seem to follow.

So over to you, what do you think we will see?

Mark

What is the point in 7 days as we will find out - unless the end of the world occurs early before 17/12/12 :jester:

XF

Apparently there is an apocalypse due according to the Mayan calendar, not sure of the date though! Some of us enjoy these threads and it's only for a week, no prizes for guessing correctly just the smug satisfaction you were right!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

As Hornby have just followed their non-gangwayed Gresleys with non-gangwayed Thompsons, I'm wondering whether their next foray into gangwayed stock might be Thompsons. They would certainly go well with the new B1s and B17s.

• RMweb Gold

The Class 59 will be finally done I wager. Plenty of livery variety, long lived prototypes now and current. I reckon a retool for the Princess to bring it into the 21st century and is a glamorous steam prototype.

Coachwise some sort of LMS suburban stock I would imagine.

Wagons will be 21ton hoppers.

I think we may see a large Southern tank engine a G16, H16 or possibly a Z. My reasoning simply being that Hornby have covered the other big four with large tank engines but not yet the Southern. The M7 being the nearest but it doesn't quite have the same physical presence that the G or H16s command. I feel the E5, SECR H class or the Adams Radial, that have all been mooted as possibles are still more likely to come from Bachmann and not Hornby.

The LNER P2 would also fit Hornby's remit of 'big namer' as would a GNR or Brighton Atlantic. Both these offer configurations that thus far have not been popular with the RTR market. I still think the ubiquitous 0-6-0 goods tender engines fit the Bachmann's remit and are still not on Hornby's radar.

What is the point in 7 days as we will find out - unless the end of the world occurs early before 17/12/12

Apparently there is an apocalypse due according to the Mayan calendar, not sure of the date though!

31st December is the date :O As for Hornby, whatever they do I think it has to be something good to help their sales.

John

Simon Kohler was talking about "Smart Development" in his interview, citing the Pull-Push coaches as an example of that, presumably as an interation from the existing Maunsell coaches. So I suppose the question should be is what do they have in the existing range that can be "repurposed" in a similar way?

More suburban coaches makes a certain amount of sense. Is there any significant commonality between the Period III LMS coaches coaches already in the range and PIII suburban stock?

31st December is the date :O As for Hornby, whatever they do I think it has to be something good to help their sales.

John

I think you'll find its the 21st that the world ends, wont pay my electric bill till after in case. Sorry, back on topic now. Haven't a clue.

Unless Hornby plan to retool their 66 I don't think they will take on the 59 (this model is one for Bachmann along with the appropriate ARC/Yeoman etc. wagons). Long shot diesel might be a 58, Heljans has gone from the market and Hornby had one before so they may want to upgrade this as it goes well with their MGR's, but I think we will more likely an electric to latch onto Bachmann's 85 - my guess would be a 87.

Given that the GER seems to be Hornbys flavour at the moment I can see a D16 "Claud" fitting in with their plans nicely - same tender as the B17 Halls and a namer. Perhaps also a SECR H class to match up with the Pull-Push Sets.

Almost certainly we will see something to do with Mallard in a limited edition to coincide with next years 75th anniversary, debateable if we will see the other 5 A4's from the planned line up as well.

Apart from these I can see a few more reliveries of existing models - maybe at last going for something different, large logo 56, perhaps some more 31's variants.

Simon Kohler was talking about "Smart Development" in his interview, citing the Pull-Push coaches as an example of that, presumably as an interation from the existing Maunsell coaches. So I suppose the question should be is what do they have in the existing range that can be "repurposed" in a similar way?

More Gresley coaches please. :derisive: Is there anything from the existing ones that could help with Hornby making an articulated restaurant triplet set?

Given that the GER seems to be Hornbys flavour at the moment I can see a D16 "Claud" fitting in with their plans nicely - same tender as the B17 Halls and a namer. Perhaps also a SECR H class to match up with the Pull-Push Sets.

A D16 would be more than welcome in my house.

We will obviously see more of the gwr heavy freight tanks. They might upgrade the gwr suburbans or autocoach as the tooling is getting old now though lms suburban stock is more likely due to the gwr releases being held back from this year. Back on the Gwr theme a saint could be possible following on from the castle. Or possibly some older gwr coaches such as toplights as they have been requested on wishlists a lot over previous years and they wore various liveries.

Best wishes

Colin

Unless Hornby plan to retool their 66 I don't think they will take on the 59 (this model is one for Bachmann along with the appropriate ARC/Yeoman etc. wagons).

Given Dapol are tooling one up in N, I'd think that's one for them rather than Bachmann, though Hornby could do the reverse of the normal Dapol "safe bet" approach and duplicate a Dapol N gauge model to 00 on the grounds that Bachmann won't be looking on doing that now it's announced (and Bachmann like reusing R&D effort between the two scales).

• RMweb Gold

Unless Hornby plan to retool their 66 I don't think they will take on the 59 (this model is one for Bachmann along with the appropriate ARC/Yeoman etc. wagons). L

The 66 is a lot different to the 59, even body wise. By that logic Bachmann would've tooled up a 59 when they released their 66 but have yet to do so. I think it would be more Bachmann fodder as you suggest though. Hornby may decide to steal the march.

I'd doubt the commercial case for the 59 tooled to current standards from either blue or red team, if I'm honest; this is somewhat of a niche purchase despite its riot of liveries: insufficiently distinguishable from the 66 for the trainset market, and a small class with detail differences within it making it a production headache. More of a Heljan business plan I'd suggest.

• RMweb Premium

I guess there will be some retooling of locos that they have and are not duplicated by Bachmann.Speculation is fraught with danger but the 61XX would be a good subject to retool completely and more GWR coaches. The manufacturers have turned their attention to various freight locos recently and we are being thoroughly spoiled with a plethora of 0-6-0s and 2-8-0s. Of course there is one very notable 2-8-0 that is still needed but I have given up wishing a long time ago.

I don't expect to see any GWR Suburban stock (although would love to) as the B sets which were due this year and were simply the old Airfix ones given another outing have been delayed from this year to 2013 and any new stock would clash.

Could we see a Hawksworth Dynamometer Car, based on the current Hawksworth chassis? One thing mising from the new GWR coaching stock is a restaurant/buffet car, but Hawksworth never made one, so I think its unlikely that we'd get a seperate tooling. Was there a Hawksworth sleeper?

Locos steam - new - a GWR 47xx 2-8-0 Night Owl might be a logical step for Hornby who have quietly introduced a few GW locos in recent years, and if not that then a modern Manor might be a likely choice, as it would hardly go head to head with the ageing Bachman model. I could also see a P2 being lined up, fits in with Hornbys precieved bias to big & glamourous. Longer shots might be a K1 2-6-0 or a Stanier 2-6-0. Finally, if we talking design clever, then with clever design i would think an Atlantic chassis could spawn a number of new loco types over the next few years.

Locos steam - retools - A KIng would be a good choice for bringing upto date, likewise the Princess and as a longer shot the Duchess, my money would be on the King though. An original MN could utilise the existing chassis, again cleverly using existing parts for a new model. A loco drive Dean Goods is a good shout from those above.

Locos diesel/electric - I would have thought that the Cl73 would have been a good upgrade, but Dapol have got in there first, as have Bachman with the Cl101 DMU. In reality there isnt much left here, maybe an upgraded Cl87 though Im not too sure how the AC electrics fit in the Hornby stable and product offering. A large logo Cl56 is a must. I dont really see any first generation MUs being a high priority, but I could see an new or highly upgraded later MU being announced - not too clued up on these as to guess which one.

Coaching stock - weve had 2 types of non-gangwayed ER stock, and from accounts these have sold well, the logical follow-up is LM non gangwayed, and Im sure if Hornby dont lay claim to these then Bachmann will do so in the spring. Given that weve had a range of corridor stock for each of the 4 regions (plus Pullmans) I dont see another competing range being launched just yet, but the time has come for an updated Mk2 aircon range - Hornby will know the sales figures for thier dated re-releases of the type, and if these stack up then this range could be launched, again I can see Barwell lining these up if Hornby dont take the plunge.

Wagons - not a stong area of Hornbys with many ancient tools still being used. But weve had a small number of high quality new releases over the past few years and I woudl expect another this year, the choice is wide, but a milk tanker maybe?

Wildcard - Hornby often throw something in that even the wildest speculators didnt see coming, a pretty pre-group tank engine might be the one this year, or one of the big NE freight locos.

I think you'll find its the 21st that the world ends

Correct and I am rather annoyed about this because I have got 2 weeks off from the the 24th and have just spent a fortune on the kids presents, all money that I could have taken with me.

Apparently there is an apocalypse due according to the Mayan calendar, not sure of the date though! Some of us enjoy these threads and it's only for a week, no prizes for guessing correctly just the smug satisfaction you were right!

Mark

So possibly a commemorative "end of the world" set, if Hornby could overcome its suppliy issues in the next 11 days

I really like the idea of a D16 -- a beautiful engine, and with all those lovely liveries it would be very colourful, as well as offering opportunities for Royal train tie-ins -- but it feels a bit premature. I thought Hornby would revamp the B12 before the B17, but as the B17 has only just hit the shelves maybe it's also too soon for a B12. Could the long-awaited J15/J17 be announced?

For the last couple of years I've speculated a 2BIL. It seems to fit well with Hornby's steam/transition focus, the VEP was a bit of a fiasco, the Brighton Belle has been overshadowed (or do I mean over-frothed?) by the Blue Pullman, so it seems like time for something different. Could this be the 2BIL's year?

Or have Hornby burnt themselves on the 3rd rail? In which case, snatching the Lord Nelson from Bachmann might be a fun thing to do -- needs updating, and would enable Hornby to claim trumps with Southern Railway steam.

Pre-Nationalisation coaching stock seems to be going down a storm (judging by the reviews and the impossibility of getting some types), so there has to be another batch announced, doesn't there? The LMS has been a bit left out in the cold, so I'd guess hypothesise LMS non-corridor stock. Or is it the turn of BR Mk1s?

I think they might be a bit nervous that the Class 87 or 90 might be snapped up by another company, so one of those might be ripe for a release to modern standards

And finally I'm still attached to the idea that something from the 4PEP family might be timely: they come in manageable 3 coach sets, now lots of liveries and strange/interesting variations, and with a decent geographical dispersion.

I think last year I didn't get a single prediction right. Here's to '13 being my lucky year!

Paul

Will Hornby re-tool the 60xx KIng / 61xx Prarie / and the Stanier Pacifics? All are long overdue for upgrade.

If Hornby dont act soon, will the " boys in the blue corner " take advantage?

This is purely an observation on my part. ( not wishlisting or frothing )

As for what Hornby may introduce - I have not got a clue.

Still not long to wait now!!

• RMweb Gold

Here's my suggestions ;)

GWR Manor using bits from the Grange. Also on the GWR theme a more up to date 14xx/58xx or possibly a small Pannier such as a 64xx.

On an Eastern theme I can feel a J15 coming on too! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Archived