Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

The Hornby 2-BIL comes to mind, and look at the fiasco that turned out to be.

Exactly !!!

Surely, the manufacturers need the retailers to sell their goods, as much as the retailers need products to sell. Feedback from retailers and the odd glance at wishlisting should be added to manufacturers own thoughts. and this perennial goes around and around.

Just carry on what you are doing Bachmann because you are doing it rather well.

• RMweb Gold

There might be cases where an editor or internet site owner chose to illustrate a forthcoming loco, coach or wagon. It is merely illustrative to stoke up interest or froth. I have read on RMweb that the Hornby Class 01 2-8-0 has a smokebox door that was not really typical of the type fitted to the majority of the class, yet it is also reputed to be a damn good seller. The Bachmann 04 2-8-0 has an incorrect overhanging running plate over the cylinders and so no photo of a representative prototype exists, yet the model remains popular. The Hornby Stanier 2-6-4T has non-bevel-rim wheels while the real things had bevel-rims.....The Bachmann unrebuilt Patriot has a Jubilee cylinders with Stanier motion bracket valve spindle, no prototype for that either. For years we accepted that images are merely for illustrative purposes and that the rest is for the pedants.

I'm with Coachmann on this one, there are practical limitations in tracking down photos of the actual loco(s) you are going to produce and advertising same prior to release of the model.

In fact, the more I think about the way the debate in this thread has been going, the more incredulous I am, that we are even having this particular debate. To me, it seems to boil down to the fact that despite having the best selection of R-T-R models ever, some people still feel the need to complain that the prototype photos used to advertise the new models may (or may not) accurately reflect what the new model is going to look like, down to the last rivet, seemingly!! (or is this an incorrect or unreasonable summation?).

Are we not (individually or collectively) sufficiently wise to recognise the fact that in choosing a prototype photo of a model not yet in existence, that the manufacturer is doing 'best endeavours?' Come on folks, it's a 64XX pannier tank (to take one example) - accept the fact that there were minor variations in the class, and the fact that the final model may or may not reflect your chosen prototype - but would you rather battle with a rather lumpen, aged whitemetal kit as your starting point??!!

• RMweb Gold

Are we not (individually or collectively) sufficiently wise to recognise the fact that in choosing a prototype photo of a model not yet in existence, that the manufacturer is doing 'best endeavours?' Come on folks, it's a 64XX pannier tank (to take one example) - accept the fact that there were minor variations in the class, and the fact that the final model may or may not reflect your chosen prototype - but would you rather battle with a rather lumpen, aged whitemetal kit as your starting point??!!

And the answer is self-evident, otherwise the purveyors of such kits would be rolling in it, and Hornby, Bachmann et al would be history. Most of us are truly grateful for the brill models we are now offered in RTR, and pay up accordingly. A minority buy them and improve them still further - full marks. Some others just revel in pointing out the mistakes and other anachronisms, ably supported by the Internet.

Among the images that have appeared on the Bachmann website is a photo of the 20t ICI tank wagon. I think most of the smart money was on either an interwar 12ft wb cradle mounted wagon (similar to the old airfix model) or my preferred choice which would have been a common post-war anchor mounted type.

If the photo is to be taken as representative of the promised vehicle then it is actually quite a different beast, as it appears to be a 10ft or maybe 10ft 6in wb welded tank with catwalks and ladders, and (I think) a rather unusual method of anchor mounting. It may also be lagged. I have to admit it is a type of wagon I am unfamiliar with, and I wondered if any of the experts on here could add any more details, particularly around likely build dates, users of the type and numbers in traffic, etc?

Mike

I hope that Bachmann produce the models in their catalogue.  Wrenn never produced the Adams Radial tank, the maroon and green emus or the 6 wheel passenger brake van illustrated in their catalogue although they were illustrations of models. The Adams Radial was probably a made up Ks kit while the others looked like Hornby Dublo models. An illustration of a model gives me more confidence that the model is going to materialise than a picture of a prototype because it shows the manufacturer has taken some steps towards making a production model even it is a completed kit.

So I've finally had time to digest all that Bachmann have announced, and am for once pleased, that there is not more that has caught my eye.

There are a few wagons, and I'll be getting some of the MK2F's in Blue/Grey and InterCity.. but other than that, I' m not all that sure if I'll bother with any locomotives or not.

Well, that was until I went through the Bachmann site this morning and came across this rather interesting model...

post-7599-0-46464300-1363703872_thumb.jpg

I know Bachmann have it as era 7, and I model a 7/8 (Blue/Grey - NSE)...   can anyone provide details on how one might make allowances for such an oddity to have survived into the blue era to receive a TOPS number, but still be painted in Green?  And yes, before anyone mentions the obvious, I know the 25's were long gone before NSE appeared.  :nomention:

The other question... does anyone know what this is?

39-001 - Mk1 Coach Pack 'Works Test Train' BR Blue & Grey Weathered

Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Surely a photo of a real loco is good enough to show what a manufacturer is about to produce without said manufacturer being required to find a photo of the ACTUAL loco he will be doing with the same running number at exactly the right day or month that his model will represent.

I'm with Coachmann on this one, there are practical limitations in tracking down photos of the actual loco(s) you are going to produce and advertising same prior to release of the model.

But as others have said, manufacturers will surely have a photograph of the prototype taken on a given day on which they develop their model, so why not use that photograph in the catelogue or if they can't for e.g. copyright reasons at least include a description covering the main details. And I'm not just talking about smaller details that can be addressed by doing some modelling but also bigger issues such as tender types, e.g. Collett or Hawksworth for the Halls and sloped or straight for the N Class. The bigger issues do matter if you have to pre-order sight unseen. If you know you can wait until a model is available then fine I agree, but not if we are moving towards smaller production runs and a risk of missing out unless you pre-order. By the time a model is in the catalogue, the manufacturer should know what they are producing so can either include a correct photo or a description, but there really is no excuse for misleading us with incorrect images of something similar that they know doesn't match what they are producing.

• RMweb Gold

But as others have said, manufacturers will surely have a photograph of the prototype taken on a given day on which they develop their model, so why not use that photograph in the catelogue or if they can't for e.g. copyright reasons at least include a description covering the main details. And I'm not just talking about smaller details that can be addressed by doing some modelling but also bigger issues such as tender types, e.g. Collett or Hawksworth for the Halls and sloped or straight for the N Class. The bigger issues do matter if you have to pre-order sight unseen. If you know you can wait until a model is available then fine I agree, but not if we are moving towards smaller production runs and a risk of missing out unless you pre-order. By the time a model is in the catalogue, the manufacturer should know what they are producing so can either include a correct photo or a description, but there really is no excuse for misleading us with incorrect images of something similar that they know doesn't match what they are producing.

Dapol seem to have done something a little different with CAD images of their products on here as development proceeded. Thus you can see what they've included in their design, with some good chance of it emerging like that from the factory, too.

So I've finally had time to digest all that Bachmann have announced, and am for once pleased, that there is not more that has caught my eye.

There are a few wagons, and I'll be getting some of the MK2F's in Blue/Grey and InterCity.. but other than that, I' m not all that sure if I'll bother with any locomotives or not.

Well, that was until I went through the Bachmann site this morning and came across this rather interesting model...

attachicon.gifClass 25 Gree.JPG

I know Bachmann have it as era 7, and I model a 7/8 (Blue/Grey - NSE)...   can anyone provide details on how one might make allowances for such an oddity to have survived into the blue era to receive a TOPS number, but still be painted in Green?  And yes, before anyone mentions the obvious, I know the 25's were long gone before NSE appeared.  :nomention:

The other question... does anyone know what this is?

39-001 - Mk1 Coach Pack 'Works Test Train' BR Blue & Grey Weathered

Thanks!

Quite a few locos still carried green livery when given TOPS numbers; there's been much discussion of this in the past on here. I didn't know about the 25, but I have seen photos of 20s and 47s. Renumbering was something that could be done at shed level, whereas a full repaint would usually require a trip to works. 25043 retained green until May 1976, apparently.

The 'Test Train' would have been a set of coaches, retired from passenger service, used to give ex-works locos a load to haul on the main line. Each works would have a designated route on which such trains might run. Crewe used the North Wales line, IIRC, whilst Doncaster used to send trains to Newcastle (the track layout there meant they didn't have to run round). When electric train heating became the norm, ETH-fitted stock was used- some of the stock I saw at Newcastle was early Mk2. Some, but not all, trains had their windows plated over; I don't know if Bachmann will model this.

Guest jim s-w

And yes, before anyone mentions the obvious, I know the 25's were long gone before NSE appeared. 

Actually they weren't. NSE appeared late summer of 1986, the last 25s went in march 1987.

Hth

Jim

attachicon.gifClass 25 Gree.JPG

The model appears to be as per this:

http://www.derbysulzers.com/25043.html

It says the loco lasted in this form until May '76.

• RMweb Gold

I think Olddudders has the right idea - sharing CAD images as the design of the model is developed is one way of satisfying the need to see exactly what you're going to get.

But.... for heavens sake - how can this really be such a big deal, when only a few days ago, there were no R-T-R 64XXs / Stanier Moguls / Midland 1Fs etc. etc.?!

And as for saying that manufacturers are 'misleading us' - oh pleeeease! What nonsense!

• RMweb Premium

And as for saying that manufacturers are 'misleading us' - oh pleeeease! What nonsense!

In a way yes. Bachmann has a habit of using an image of the previous version of its coaches to illustrate the new one. Two examples. With the standard one line description, e.g. "39-175D BR Mk1 BG Full Brake Blue & Grey" and this image http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/39-175D.jpg&cat_no=39-175D&info=0&width=643&height=203 you might expect it to look the same but with a new number. Well no, the actual model arrives with "Express Parcels" branding http://www.ehattons.com/52624/Bachmann_UK_39_175D_BR_Mk1_BG_Full_Brake_Blue_Grey/StockDetail.aspx. If I'd pre-ordered and wanted it for a passenger rake I would not have been pleased. Similarly with Bachmann's maroon Mk1s, you don't know in advance whether or not the CK and FK will have the yellow first class lining or a bodyside crest.

Frankly I cannot see any reason why this sort of detail cannot be included in the description of the model in the catalogue. Others (non-UK outline) can do it and for locos too so why not Bachmann?

• RMweb Gold

Yes - but.  In most cases we are now seeing images of modes - not just CAD images but usually EPs and livery samples some time before the model emerges.  It gives us time to change our minds (as I have done with something from Hornby) but it also gives us the chance if changing what will be coming if the manufacturer is listening (as appears might be happening with one item from Hornby, as has previously happened with Bachmann ... to give a couple of recent examples).  So there is some wriggle room and still - provided basic shapes are right we can still fiddle and titivate and correct cosmetic faults on what finally emerges and in any case will probably have to renumber a loco to suit our needs.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say with this. If they are sending the kits to china for copying then unless they've got permission from the kit manufacturer the practise is at best dubious and at worst illegal. If Bachmann are going out and doing proper R and D for these models, measuring up the prototype etc, then that's fine. Saving on R and D is not a good thing, there are plenty of botched models out there that testify to this. I also fail to see the connection between mass production and not providing variety for the market place. Just beacuse you are mass producing something doesn't mean you can't choose to do a 1/801 fish van instead of a 1/800 or indeed a 1/447 tube instead of a 1/448.

I don't see why Parkside should have to go into RTR (which is what you seem to be suggesting) nor do I understand how they are suposed to decide to offer a different diagram without the aid of a time machine.

Justin

Bachmann undertake months (sometimes years) Research & Development for all its projects. We are not in the business of copying other peoples kits or models and the recent Award announcements reiterate that we have spent considerable time and money in the case of just one of them, the Blue Pullman, to reproduce something which no longer exists. All this is carried out in-house by our very experienced team.

For any project we source drawings produced by the works which constructed the original item. These are held in a number of places, the NRM at York being just one source we use. Unfortunately these may not always exist having been destroyed. This was the case for both the 150 and the Blue Pullman – so we produced our own.

We then assemble as many photographs of the prototype as we can. Front ¾ views of items favoured by the majority of photographers over the years are of only some use. We need details shots of the top, sides, back, front etc. Where a vehicle exists then that is achieved by assembling a portfolio of well over a hundred images – now easier with digital resources but until a few years ago we used colour film and prints.

Research and Development is not about sitting a nice centrally heated library. It is about crawling around, under, over and inside a vehicle in the muck and often the worst of British weathers to achieve the desired result. We are ever grateful to the many heritage railways, preservation groups and current operators who provide us with the resources to do so.

With 23 years experience behind us, we have established a very experienced team of contacts who are able to support our design engineers through the development process. They are experts in their fields and rest assured they soon tell us if we get something wrong.

In the past we have used some kit built items for catalogue pictures or for product launches to enable our dealers to see what is planned. This process was stopped due to criticism from some modellers that we copying kits and we have for the past few years only used prototype photographs (sometimes generic) to illustrate what we are producing and to enable our dealer network and their customers to identify the product. For our catalogue illustrations this year we even went to the effort of sourcing pictures of the actual item being produced (eg name and number).  Again we are well known to all the photo libraries and photographers from whom we source images as part of the design process. All the images we use are sourced from photo libraries or individual photographers and any reproduction fees duly paid in line with their use.

When we show models at exhibitions or in photographic form they are taken from the tooling that has been produced in China. They are grey to enable our design engineers the opportunity to mark anything they are unhappy with and this is then returned to the tool makers with a detailed report. The colour of grey can vary – colour becomes only critical at a later stage of the process. You have to appreciate that the team in China are more used to seeing Chinese locomotives and rolling stock than British and they may request additional drawings or photographs at any point during the process. This can involve additional visits or research.

Two of my colleagues have just returned from three days of crawling around a well known preservation site, measuring, checking, drawing, photographing and touching the real thing in icy cold conditions. They are now in the process of collating all that information ready for transfer to China and the next stage in the process.

I trust that this will clarify the amount of time and effort we put into each and every new model

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe plc

I do not think you need to worry about preordering Bachmann Mk1 coaches, especially the Pullmans, crimson and cream, blue and grey and green coaches. There have been 39 of these languishing on the shelves of my local shop, some dating from 2011, and there seem to be no shortage of Bachmann Mk1 coaches at exhibitions. They are excellent coaches but I think most people have already bought all they need. I am glad they are still making them for the sake of newcomers to 00 gauge. The Mk1 coaches in the 4-CEP EMU are even better so perhaps Bachmann will upgrade their stock to this standard. I do not think Hornby will be able to compete against Bachmann with their design clever Mk1s.

In a way yes. Bachmann has a habit of using an image of the previous version of its coaches to illustrate the new one. Two examples. With the standard one line description, e.g. "39-175D BR Mk1 BG Full Brake Blue & Grey" and this image http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/39-175D.jpg&cat_no=39-175D&info=0&width=643&height=203 you might expect it to look the same but with a new number. Well no, the actual model arrives with "Express Parcels" branding http://www.ehattons.com/52624/Bachmann_UK_39_175D_BR_Mk1_BG_Full_Brake_Blue_Grey/StockDetail.aspx. If I'd pre-ordered and wanted it for a passenger rake I would not have been pleased. Similarly with Bachmann's maroon Mk1s, you don't know in advance whether or not the CK and FK will have the yellow first class lining or a bodyside crest.

Frankly I cannot see any reason why this sort of detail cannot be included in the description of the model in the catalogue. Others (non-UK outline) can do it and for locos too so why not Bachmann?

Yet even when the RTR manufacturersget the models right, most customers will run them on incorrectly signalled layouts and not display the correct lamps or lights, let them haul inappropriate stock. Maybe potential buyers should be assessed to to check their credentials?

Sounds silly doesn't it? Things do when we read to much into them.

The chance of missing out on things due to short production runs is an issue I feel. For those on a limited budget it could be - if you can't gaurantee the money to be available when it does arrive you're unlikely to risk it. Yes I know some places offer no obligation services but there's still the embarrassement factor of cancelling things.

I got so frustrated a couple of years back - I was at Signalling School in Watford and travelling Up the ECML to London then Down the WCML to Watford. For someone from Yorkshire, travelling on the southern section of the WCML is quite unusual for the most part. I loved seeing the Class 57/3s and decided I'd like a model as one as a reminder but could I find a Bachmann one with the Dellner couplings?! That was very frustrating.

And it could, for others, have been the start or rekindling of an interest in the model side of the hobby but it would have fallen at the first fence.

Excellent summary of the hard work that goes into producing Bachmann's models.  It is obvious from the Scenecraft models of prototype stations, the C class locomotives and the SR pillbox brakes that a lot of effort has been made to get the details right. I look forward to seeing the E4 and the Birdcage coaches made to a similar standard.

But.... for heavens sake - how can this really be such a big deal, when only a few days ago, there were no R-T-R 64XXs / Stanier Moguls / Midland 1Fs etc. etc.?!

There's no argument - we've never had it so good.

This whole discussion seems to have gotten a bit overwrought - I don't think anyone thinks the manufacturers are deliberately misrepresenting their products.

There are clearly a lot of practical reasons why it might not be possible to reuse photographs, used to check the authenticity of details at the time the model is designed, in catalogues.

I do think that manufacturers could do a better job of communicating some details about what they plan to manufacture. Providing CAD illustrations to the enthusiasts who care about such details is one way.

Better catalogue descriptions would be a good start. A pet peeve of mine is "GWR green". What is that exactly? It could mean one of three distinctly different livery choices. Both Hornby and Bachmann have used this terminology recently. Perhaps manufacturers could include an approximate date that represents the appearance of the model?

There's been several examples in the last couple of years, where based on enthusiast feedback, an alternative running number or tender may be substituted for what is in the catalogue to suit the details the manufacturer plans to build.

I pre-ordered that for a rake... and yes I was a little peeved to say the least... but I hope the "express parcels" marking can be removed with some tee cut and hidden under some weathering (I do hope)... but that's gone to the to-do pile, where it will sit for a while.

There's no argument - we've never had it so good.

I do think that manufacturers could do a better job of communicating some details about what they plan to manufacture. Providing CAD illustrations to the enthusiasts who care about such details is one way.

Better catalogue descriptions would be a good start. A pet peeve of mine is "GWR green". What is that exactly? It could mean one of three distinctly different livery choices. Both Hornby and Bachmann have used this terminology recently. Perhaps manufacturers could include an approximate date that represents the appearance of the model? GWR 1928 green is a good starting point; it's the shade the old established professional painters used to cover the pre-war period. Exactly what the shade was like before 1928 is subjective (1905 green?), afterall, the first 'Kings' carried it whatever it was. Then there is the post-war 1945 green which is darker and less at the yellow end of the spectrum and is used by some folk as BR green. The reasoning behind the latter is that BR adopted GWR green because of its established properties and did not invent a new shade. The bluish green that some model paint makers call BR green is yet another shade and is not one I subscibe to personally, though it suits Class 40s!

I think it's a shame the thread has become a circular debate on Bachmann's R&D (which I note from the previous page, is extremely in depth and agreeably well thought out) rather than praising them for several absolutely stellar choices of model.

By this, I mean the 64xx, the E4 and the 1F. Have we ever seen three 0-6-0 tank locomotives announced all together, ever before? These are models for which people will buy multiples of for their respective modelling eras and locations, and members of the general public may buy for having seen the preserved examples and wishing to have a momento of that moment.

From my end, I won't be buying any of the three as they fit neither location or era modelled, but I say good on Bachmann for stepping up to the plate. It makes good business sense in my view to buy a model which is attractive and also invites multiple purchases. Perhaps it's fair to say Bachmann understands the modellers rather better than people give them credit for.

I will though be buying multiple Gresley V3s for various projects, and I look forward to that immensely!

• RMweb Premium

Among the images that have appeared on the Bachmann website is a photo of the 20t ICI tank wagon. I think most of the smart money was on either an interwar 12ft wb cradle mounted wagon (similar to the old airfix model) or my preferred choice which would have been a common post-war anchor mounted type.

If the photo is to be taken as representative of the promised vehicle then it is actually quite a different beast, as it appears to be a 10ft or maybe 10ft 6in wb welded tank with catwalks and ladders, and (I think) a rather unusual method of anchor mounting. It may also be lagged. I have to admit it is a type of wagon I am unfamiliar with, and I wondered if any of the experts on here could add any more details, particularly around likely build dates, users of the type and numbers in traffic, etc?

Mike

Hi Mike

We discussed this ICI tank wagon a few pages ago. Yes it is not a common design.....in fact a real oddity. Paul Bartlett  in post number 400 suggest it is "It is possibly an ammonia liquor tank, wartime build". A 20 ton, 10 ft wheelbase B liquids anchor mounted tank would be far more common, and useful to us modellers.

If Bachmann want to copy any of my tank wagons I would willing let them send them to China. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61979-hanging-hill/&do=findComment&comment=812931

• RMweb Gold

I think it's a shame the thread has become a circular debate on Bachmann's R&D (which I note from the previous page, is extremely in depth and agreeably well thought out) rather than praising them for several absolutely stellar choices of model.

By this, I mean the 64xx, the E4 and the 1F. Have we ever seen three 0-6-0 tank locomotives announced all together, ever before? These are models for which people will buy multiples of for their respective modelling eras and locations, and members of the general public may buy for having seen the preserved examples and wishing to have a momento of that moment.

Hi Simon

I do hope then that Bachmann's R&D works out that the E4 is an 0-6-2T not an 0-6-0... :angel:

ps I do realise that Bachmann do know this already...

Archived