Level crossing stupidity...

11 hours ago, Hobby said:

As regards cleanliness, the likes of Germany, Austria and Switzerland always seem so clean when we visit, especially small towns and villages. Untidiness (behaviour, not dress sense) seems a very British thing, especially amongst the younger generation who don't see to care for the old adage "take your rubbish home with you". We watched that programme on Chatsworth and the state of the grounds the morning after the first of the hot days was horrendous, I felt so sorry for the people who had to clear up the mess... (Substitute beaches for Chatsworth if you want!).

There's a story that Lord Snowdon was walking through the gardens of Kensington Palace one day when he saw a family having a picnic. He greeted them cheerfully, told them he hoped they enjoyed their picnic, but also asked them to make sure they didn't leave any litter. The father was very rude to him, and when they went home, they left a lot of litter.

Somehow Lord Snowdon found out where they lived, so the next weekend he put Princess Margaret and the children in the car, took them off to the man's house and set up a picnic on the lawn. The man rushed out of his house and angrily asked what the **** they thought they were doing.

"We're having a picnic in your garden," replied Lord Snowdon calmly. "Just like you did in ours last week. Only we're not going to leave any litter!"

The two of them ended up becoming firm friends!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes an' no ............... I was horrified by the amount of graffiti on the buildings when I visited Bern about ten years ago - and most British train operators seem quicker to remove such mess from their mobile assets than is often the case abroad.

France and Belgium seem to be the worst for that - some French trains seem to be totally covered in Graffiti.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

France and Belgium seem to be the worst for that - some French trains seem to be totally covered in Graffiti.

I spent 15 months in France a while back, and whilst I don't remember noticing quite so many litter issues we have that sort of vandalism seemed much more common.

Variety amongst societies, places and cultures is part of what makes the world an interesting place, I suppose that it inevitably means variety in the means of anti-social behaviour too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Actually a large fine has different effects to people, depending on their financial position. Some regard any fine as a petty cash annoyance, yet to others a large fine can be a life changing experience.

Some Scandinavian countries take into account your annual income, surely a much fairer system?

Unless you plead guilty on receipt of an FPN and pay the fixed penalty (Band A offences only I think), fines levied for speeding offences in the UK are income-based:

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/171938/speeding-fines-2020-how-much-will-you-have-to-pay

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

It's not confined to trains and buildings. Just leave a white van parked up around a big city overnight, and see how much of the original paintwork is visible in the morning.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 00:22, phil_sutters said:

It is used for purely leisure activities - walking dogs, going to the beach and studying the ever decreasing wildlife in the area. There are other routes to that section of the coast - one via a new footbridge east of Newhaven Harbour station and the other from the road that passes below Bishopstone station and then follows Seaford's promenade. I would question the cost benefit of building a ramped bridge. At the beach end the path along the beach is a rough, patchy mix of shingle and stretches of old concrete; not a surface I would recommend to someone with mobility issues, on foot or in a wheelchair. One of the better sections - http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/26391791  The more rugged mobility scooters would probably cope. There is no level access at the Newhaven end.

I have just seen a news item about an arts festival at Tidemills - https://tidemillsproject.uk/ - I don't suppose that the bridge will be there by then. I hope they marshal the crossing effectively.

The last gathering at Tidemills that I can recall was the Seaford 150 steam run. That brought out a number of irresponsible folk onto the remaining platform of the closed station, including a young child. 

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell nearing Tidemills with trepassers 7 6 2014.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, there aren't any live ( standard gauge ) railways near Launceston - so it must be OK to stand on a level crossing !!?!

I don't know how near to Launceston it was, but a DMU was shown passing by on the line earlier in the piece. Maybe the cattle show  where the Country Farm Showdown took place was there. I was only killing time while waiting for Find it, Fix it, Flog it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I don't know how near to Launceston it was, but a DMU was shown passing by on the line earlier in the piece. Maybe the cattle show  where the Country Farm Showdown took place was there. I was only killing time while waiting for Find it, Fix it, Flog it.

Nearest single track line would either be the Barnstaple line or the Okehampton line. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a level crossing, but there was an article in this morning's Telegraph about warming up before exercise.  The accompanying photo showed someone standing on the common crossing of a turnout.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2021 at 18:40, boxbrownie said:

The younger generation......hmmmm......as an aside to my experience working in Japan, my fifth visit took me into the centre of Tokyo for some shopping, the first walk through the city is an eye opener but the kids, groups dressed liked punks.....rockers......mods (Or whatever they call them, dead smart), and even sexy cartoon character groups (didn’t know what to make of that)......but when there was a big group of nasty looking hells angel/rocker/mods kids walking down the pavement taking up the whole width......it was very intimidating at first, BUT when it came to them right in front of you they gracefully parted and smiled with deference and they walked past, over here I admit I’d be probably looking around for a shop to “look into”......completely different society, where on earth did we go wrong?

On 26/01/2021 at 18:49, boxbrownie said:

Indeed, and I saw a couple of Yazuka trucks (they used pickup trucks and stood in the back heavily armed with baseball bats and bamboo sticks (no doubt backed up out of sight with .38 and  Kadachi swords out of sight) rumble by in the middle of the night, but my companion said “don’t worry they are just reinforcing their control zone, not interested in us, just the other gangs”.......so it was and I didn’t.

So, to get you right, you are worried about the younger generation in this country, but are happy for organised criminals to be fully visible in Japan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kris said:

Nearest single track line would either be the Barnstaple line or the Okehampton line. 

I rewound on iplayer and the ex-clinical psychologist, turned cattle-breeder, said that it is the Barnstable line. She will have known when it was 'safe' to be there, but it sends out the wrong message to people who are less aware of the dangers of trespassing on railways. But then the BBC was the stupid lot who stood all the 2012 Olympians on the chalk cliffs looking out to sea, in their publicity images. Do that now and you could find the ground disappearing from under your feet as big chunks from Dover to Seaford Head have fallen or are likely to do so.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, figworthy said:

Not a level crossing, but there was an article in this morning's Telegraph about warming up before exercise.  The accompanying photo showed someone standing on the common crossing of a turnout.

Adrian

Surely that's practical to do so on Peco's larger scale offerings?

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Or possibly Gunnislake line is closer than Barnstaple, but the line in the picture looks too straight!

.... yet it doesn't look to be a former double track !!?!  ............. the direction of the sun suggests an east-west line which precludes pretty well anywhere but somewhere east of Okehampton ( which WAS double track ........... I wish she'd move her arm ).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 96701 said:

So, to get you right, you are worried about the younger generation in this country, but are happy for organised criminals to be fully visible in Japan.

No I said I wasn’t worried (not happy), please do not deliberately misquote my posts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... yet it doesn't look to be a former double track !!?!  ............. the direction of the sun suggests an east-west line which precludes pretty well anywhere but somewhere east of Okehampton ( which WAS double track ........... I wish she'd move her arm ).

I think it was double track.  There are bridge safety rails to the right but to the left there are safety rails at right angles to the track presumably on the top of the support walls where part of the bridge has been removed.  The left hand track side safety rail must be behind the woman.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dunwurken said:

I think it was double track.  There are bridge safety rails to the right but to the left there are safety rails at right angles to the track presumably on the top of the support walls where part of the bridge has been removed.  The left hand track side safety rail must be behind the woman.

This is a shot from earlier in the programme, which you can see for yourself on BBC iplayer at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dbhl/the-farmers-country-showdown-series-4-6-launceston-cattle 

Level crossing madness 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1