A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Whilst it's quiet on here I've added another coal wagon to my rake in the shape of this Rickett example by Oxford Rail. Weathered using products by MIG and Abteilung and inspired by the various POWs modelled on the Kingswear layout on Western Thunder.

DSCN8437.JPG.1dc291b502f60dd90928839a8c8319a4.JPGDSCN8439.JPG.ac4329a35bdc22096157e290c565e39e.JPG

Nice effects with the weathering Robin.... ;)

The oily sheen on the underframe is lovely and subtle as is the wagon body itself.. :D

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 46444 said:

The oily sheen on the underframe is lovely

That's a pigment by Abteilung 502 called track rust as recommended by the late, sorely missed, Mick Bonwick.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That's a pigment by Abteilung 502 called track rust as recommended by the late, sorely missed, Mick Bonwick.

The last time I saw our sorely missed friend at Pendon, he presented me with just four weathering pigments, saying these are all I will ever really need for most stock weathering scenarios and here they are:

1016977896_IMG_4853600px.jpg.8d64cc49d719fda3f29968f0a8b3d6ac.jpg

Thanks Robin for such a lovely reminder of dear Mick. He will allways be with us.

Best,

Bill

Edited by longchap
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Adding the fire iron rack to the tender makes such a difference on the Bachmann model, looking at that I kind of wish I had gone for a Westinghouse fitted example for mine.  While it makes an ugly loco look even uglier, I think it makes the model look even more interesting.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Adding the fire iron rack to the tender makes such a difference on the Bachmann model, looking at that I kind of wish I had gone for a Westinghouse fitted example for mine.  While it makes an ugly loco look even uglier, I think it makes the model look even more interesting.

Poor thing,  you've hurt it's feelings ;) 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2022 at 12:33, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.b4fa997ec4754ef7e207cc91e07d5597.png

.....and the Loco's we may have wished worked west of Brizzle.

A long timeBarrow Road ( then 22A ) loco. Northbound at Gloucester Eastgate sometime in the early to mid 1950’s. 
Had the unlikely name of Shovell after the Naval Admiral of that name who rejoiced in the full name of Sir Cloudesly Shovell . Couldn’t make it up,could you ? The station ,once linked to the WR Central by a long footbridge,and the MR line disappeared years  ago and the Devonian’s XC 220/221 successors, apart I think from one exception,no longer call at Gloucester. Passengers connect at Cheltenham instead.Progress?  The Westbound Devonian was a Leeds Holbeck working,the loco returning from Temple Meads on the 7:25 pm to Newcastle. 

Enjoy the New Year Robin and all 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

In the heady days post WW2, a number of LMS locos appeared in Plymouth, let alone West of Bristol.  Some even had names although most I believe were Black 5s whose numbers seemed to travel far and wide.  Or perhaps there was just a lot of them - I never was too interested in foreign locos!

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 21/12/2021 at 16:58, FarrMan said:

Thanks Mr Rob.

I will attach the first section, numbers 1 to 49999. There are a lot of details that I can still fill in, e.g. some lengths, widths, etc., as it is a work in (slow) progress, but at least it is a start. Any information and/or advice greatly welcomed - PM me with it. I have been through the wagon diagrams list in Atkins et al, History of GWR Goods Wagons, and the HMRS book on Iron Minks, and the GBV and Shunter's truck allocations on GWR.org, but my library is a bit limited.

GWR Wagons 0-49999.xlsx 93.05 kB · 51 downloads

Lloyd, much more detailed than my attempt at creating a reverse index for the running numbers given in Tourett in the 1980s using a BBC Micro.  It since been converted to excel along with a reverse index for the coaches in Harris and it's attached here.  I hope someone finds it useful.

All GWR Wagons.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2022 at 22:05, brianusa said:

In the heady days post WW2, a number of LMS locos appeared in Plymouth, let alone West of Bristol.  Some even had names although most I believe were Black 5s whose numbers seemed to travel far and wide.  Or perhaps there was just a lot of them - I never was too interested in foreign locos!

Brian.

Wish you had spotting notes from that timex would be really handy now.    I think something LMS will eventually be added to my fleet, though not until the layout is much pre complete.

31 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

There will be an announcement on here tomorrow but at the moment I can't decide whether to post at 6.00, 7.00 or 10.00 am.:read:

:P

not interested in the Hornby announcement any more, I am more than happy enough to see Ian (Macgeordie) is doing a Siphon O11 kit to the standard of the O33 I built last year.  One or two of these along with the two Accurascale ones I have on order will be perfect for my parcels train…

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

49 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

There will be an announcement on here tomorrow but at the moment I can't decide whether to post at 6.00, 7.00 or 10.00 am.:read:

Could you make it 11.00am please Rob, I'm probably gonna have a lay-in ! 

S. Nora

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Wish you had spotting notes from that timex would be really handy now.    I think something LMS will eventually be added to my fleet, though not until the layout is much pre complete.

I have the info on that. Duchesses and Princesses (when the Kings were temporarily withdrawn for checks?) Can't remember any Black 5s but 8Fs appeared at Laira every so often, especially early 60s. I am not saying a Black 5 never appeared, but I have no evidence.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Can I check, will that be GMT or CET….

it’s so confusing after Brexit - asking for a friend

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 7