A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bulwell Hall said:

They really are very beautiful

It's incredible to think that not that many years ago, you would have had to have paid a lot of money for a top of the range professional build to rival that quality and at a considerably greater cost (and with a lengthy wait as well, no doubt).

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I

Now if you could just pop one of those in the post to Rob and the other in the post to me, we will ensure both undergo extensive testing for you...

Are you allowed to have a layout @The Fatadder with a title 'Inspired' by Brent.:jester:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

They really are very beautiful!

Gerry

I have ordered one just becuase they look so nice - absolutely no chance they ever visited Helston in real life but they sure will on my layout in due course.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2022 at 17:18, Bulwell Hall said:

Well, the big Hornby reveal this morning was a disappointment for us of a Swindon persuasion!   But we do have the lovely Accurascale Manor to look forward to - although, like Tim, I have no use for one as I don't think one ever ventured down the Weymouth line, but it is such a superb model!   With encouragement perhaps Accurascale will consider other GWR goodies such as a 21st century 57xx.  With the Manor and the superb Siphon Gs to look forward to I shall not be spending much on RTR elsewhere this year.

Gerry

I am the same. I do have a NuCast Manor but it is a bit tired after 25 years and I can use the wheels etc on another project, so and Accurascale one is on the cards. One of the local model shops, 1825 models, in Stockton, will be selling, so I will give Marty the business. I model Westbury and 7801/4 did work through there in 1938 to Salisbury. Rule 1 they could have made Weymouth as well as it was the same loco pool appearing on both Salisbury and Westbury turns.

I do not need any more 57xx as I have gone down the super-detail the K's models. Earlier Panniers were in greater numbers in Westbury/Salisbury/Weymouth area in the 1930's. Personally I would prefer and 1854/1701 class which were everywhere in the 1930's.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I am the same. I do have a NuCast Manor but it is a bit tired after 25 years and I can use the wheels etc on another project, so and Accurascale one is on the cards. One of the local model shops, 1825 models, in Stockton, will be selling, so I will give Marty the business. I model Westbury and 7801/4 did work through there in 1938 to Salisbury. Rule 1 they could have made Weymouth as well as it was the same loco pool appearing on both Salisbury and Westbury turns.

I do not need any more 57xx as I have gone down the super-detail the K's models. Earlier Panniers were in greater numbers in Westbury/Salisbury/Weymouth area in the 1930's. Personally I would prefer and 1854/1701 class which were everywhere in the 1930's.

Mike Wiltshire

Definately back then.

• RMweb Premium

Morning GWR buffs, this appeared on one of the local history groups on Faceache but I don't know what it is, having never seen one before.  Before anyone gets excited, it's at Spa not Queen Square ;)

FB_IMG_1641980328631.jpg.89f405123183f627ccfc424d92ad2ceb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It also appeared on this forum a couple of days back in the Pannier thread, looks like the Swindon and Highworth 4-4-0 Saddletank No13 Swindonised.

Edit, it may have been the experimental Dean locomotive, started as a 2-4-2WT, became a 4-4-0ST before ending up a 4-4-0 Pannier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Dean_experimental_locomotives

Edited by woodenhead
More info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

By chance, i happen to be reading Tuplin's GWR Saints and Sinners at the moment - I reckon its 4-4-0PT no 1490, indeed one of the experimental locos that appeared in the Dean-Churchward era.  Hope that helps

Jon T

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Silus said:

By chance, i happen to be reading Tuplin's GWR Saints and Sinners at the moment - I reckon its 4-4-0PT no 1490, indeed one of the experimental locos that appeared in the Dean-Churchward era.  Hope that helps

Jon T

I definitely see 14 in the numberplate so very likely, I was not 100% on my own claim to it being number 13 rebuilt as a Pannier.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I blame the wishlisting of @46444 :P

802380060_DSCN8336(2).JPG.7f48e1fb8a731b5960f31b5d07c87611.JPGDSCN8337.JPG.1c180cb56744ee00ec25ed22aae2921c.JPGDSCN8338.JPG.4ed6a0ffed31345eb8eef82cafd7285e.JPG

Now what if Accurascale did a Hawksworth County.... ;)

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Morning GWR buffs, this appeared on one of the local history groups on Faceache but I don't know what it is, having never seen one before.  Before anyone gets excited, it's at Spa not Queen Square ;)

FB_IMG_1641980328631.jpg.89f405123183f627ccfc424d92ad2ceb.jpg

So far as the GWR was concerned it was Bath station - Queen Square was simply a square at the bottom of Gay Street.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'd prefer one from Accurascale. :dance_mini:

Agree about the earlier mentioned state of the art (stand by) Pannier but a high spec 44xx/45xx/4575 Small Prairie would be just splendid. Best not mention a 14/48/58xx though the last attempt was fine aside from a horse's ar$e of a chassis.

Any of the above would have me reaching for the GWR branch line terminus trackplans book ( finally ). 

In a different direction......

What about a LM&SR 8F 2.8.0........? 

Margate appear pre-occupied with making a T!t of themselves at present.........though I accept they are having a go at the Black Five. 

Multiple regions, liveries (ish) detail variations within a huge class. 

1947 would see them on the GWR, etc, etc..

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 46444 said:

Now what if Accurascale did a Hawksworth County.... ;)

Thats my tune. I claim copyright as perhaps the most persistent pusher of Hawksworth’s County claims at least  on this thread. Well at least I did have several journeys hauled by one in the 1950’s and “copped” all 30 of them in my time……( Thinks…the old fool is raving yet ag:senile:ain 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3