A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

20 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Go back a bit?

i have seen a photo of a Saint at Exeter in 47, while Bulldogs are the desperately needed given that you would find one on the front of practically every express through Brent in 47 (on top of which I’ve also seen a dated photo of a curved frame bulldog on a freight.

Exeter was spotters heaven to a 12 years old, clutching an exercise book filled with names and numbers.  Things were primitive in those days!  My mother used to go shopping in Exeter as Plymouth was still in ruins so a two hour ride on the top deck of a Devon General or Western National bus was exciting and I was always allowed time to see some trains either at St Ds, bit of a trot, or Exeter Central which wasn't far from the bus station.

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'd be interested in the date of your photo Gerry as 7202 was shedded at Newport Ebbw Junc ,Gloucester and Severn TJ in GWR days.

I only have a note of 7202 and not a photograph but will try to find it for you - possibly it was in the RO.  There was a daily STJ - WEY freight so it was almost certainly working one of those.  But they did wander about rather a lot as well and could be borrowed by other sheds to work an odd turn before returning 'home'.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:33, brianusa said:

Go back a bit and there could be Saints or Bulldogs passing through Brent while keeping most of the stock already around.  

To help this happen I'm thinking of opening a Just Giving page.:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:32, Captain Kernow said:

Bubble & squeak is one of my favourite dishes!

Lives up to it's name several hours later...….just to lower the tone as always.

22 hours ago, brianusa said:

Exeter was spotters heaven to a 12 years old, clutching an exercise book filled with names and numbers.  Things were primitive in those days!  My mother used to go shopping in Exeter as Plymouth was still in ruins so a two hour ride on the top deck of a Devon General or Western National bus was exciting and I was always allowed time to see some trains either at St Ds, bit of a trot, or Exeter Central which wasn't far from the bus station.

Brian.

Exeter Central was like Heaven for us Janners, as there lurked Packets and Arthurs and Zs (later, Ws) and S15s, along with some of the Standard Tanks and some of the 700s, none of which normally appeared at Plymuff, until the mid 60s when some Packets came down the WR on specials. Exmouth Junction was  just wonderful. So little time and money back then and no bleddy camera.

Another regret is that I never went down to Wadebridge and around that area and I fact, I still have never even been to Penzance. Doh!

Ar$£

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 21/05/2019 at 18:13, Mallard60022 said:

Exeter Central

It is now my "go to" station.

Look out I'm back and ready to unleash myself once more with thanks to BeeTee !!!

Moover and Shaker

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, bgman said:

Look out I'm back and ready to unleash myself once more with thanks to BeeTee !!!

Moover and Shaker

Has it become a Train Station like all the other grown up ones I read about?

P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, bgman said:

Moover and Shaker

When we moved just over 18 months ago it took 2 months for BT to sort out the telephone and another 2 months the internet, it is still crap. 8 months to sort out the complaint and even then the ombudsman didn't take on board all of the issues. The phone line socket is still in my bedroom.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2019 at 00:04, brianusa said:

Back further then with a Churchward County coming; Dukes galore, an Aberdare or two?:)  Too bad about the more modern stock:cray_mini: but that would only be a Collett County or a Mod Hall, perhaps.

Not that much further for the Duke, either. Chatting years ago to one of my school teachers, who was at Torquay Boys Grammar School during the war years (at the same time as Peter Gray), he told me he had seen. “Isle of Jersey” at Torre - and was roundly disbelieved by his friends!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Has it become a Train Station like all the other grown up ones I read about?

P

Most definately now referred to as Exeter Centrale International  ! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Exeter Central, then HQ of Wessex Trains, I think, is the only place I have ever seen a departure poster listing trains to Barnstable (sic, or do I mean sick?). 

Exeter Central Station Admin Offices were always very important in the management of affairs west of Salisbury. I know this because I have the books. :clapping:

The Republished and expanded  "Main Line to the West; Part Three Yeovil to Exeter (Irwell Press) is superb for this sort of information. I treasure this and my other Volumes and despite hailing from the very western tip of Devon, I love the whole of Devon and miss it often.

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I've never been a fan of small prairies in BR black livery but this shot certainly impresses. BTW It's the SVR for Birmingham Pride today.

555901486_blacksmallprairie.jpg.4586274e510a5c556295e68aae0f8507.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I've never been a fan of small prairies in BR black livery but this shot certainly impresses. BTW It's the SVR for Birmingham Pride today.

555901486_blacksmallprairie.jpg.4586274e510a5c556295e68aae0f8507.jpg

A black (or, even better, blue) loco with crimson and cream coaches rarely offends.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Great day out at Railex today with Rob, thanks for driving chap. Some superb layouts in attendance and some very dodgy forum members (no names Grahame). Only bought a few bits and bobs but enjoyed chatting and catching up with folk.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I nearly succumbed to a pannier on the Minerva stand but resisted and talking of Minerva , Gordon Gravett had something of theirs on Arun Quay. Nice fencing too.;)

992242232_DSCN5488(2).JPG.4b85beb96292820872d52e005fb6dc7c.JPG843835276_DSCN5489(2).JPG.52e983d017abaeaa87d562f705daf9ab.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding modelling by Wenlock of this parish, photo trickery by yours truly. Mr York needs to get this layout in BRM. 

485828184_DSCN5485(2)sepia.jpg.0490c9a454c218ff73789b03b0ea9205.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Fellas, 

Pardon my interruption, but speaking of parcels trains (a page or so back) I was wondering if the Hornby R4500 Hawksworth full brake  would have been appropriate for running in 1947 guise (i'm assuming with the addition of the GWR logo), or were these built after nationalisation? 

Thanks, as as usual ANTB is looking excellent!

Jack

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Pardon my interruption, but speaking of parcels trains (a page or so back) I was wondering if the Hornby R4500 Hawksworth full brake  would have been appropriate for running in 1947 guise (i'm assuming with the addition of the GWR logo), or were these built after nationalisation? 

As Chris has said they were a very late GWR build and unfortunately a bit late for me more's the pity. I'm a sucker for a parcels van and do have one for my '57 rake in maroon.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2