A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

In case I forget, Season's Clap to you all.

Yes, I am still here (just) and now I need a few laughs, so:

I have to announce that my new Mogul (7310 that will become 7311) did not fall to pieces on first test on the RR. Have no fear, it may become filthy for its' infrequent appearances through SOSJ; I have to check its' condition in December 1960!

I have acquired a top nick, but rather old version Castle, Earl Cairns for 1998. It will become 5093 and I have some idea of what modifications are required for that loco circa December 1960. I see the centre driver Balance Weights need changing and a decent Lubricator just behind the Steam Pipes (both sides presumably?)

However, as I said, I needed a laugh and so I ask you experienced fellows what you would suggest to make that oldy look a bit more acceptable. I have a coupe of pictures of that loco to work from.

I have to say that it will appear fewer times than my wallet at a meet up of the ANTB gang and it will be pretty filthy when it does. It only needs to pass the 2' view test and maybe some photos and not the Tony Wright wiggly pipes test (unless they are very obviously missing from somewhere). 

With thanks from Duck Towers.

Phil

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Good onya Phil, as we say. Mogul, Castle, (Pannier on the branch?) - you're getting the right idea...

All the very best to you and yours.

During these troubled times Phil has been a member of a small group of us who are trying to support each other. But it seems we have failed with Mr Duck.

A V2 (doesn't it look superb) would be more fitting for when his Spam Cans fail than a Castle Class 4-6-0 and a Not Important Enough to Name Semi Detached Class 2-6-0. We try our best to help him with photos of model trains from the right side of the country but we are still unable to brainwash our poor lost little water foul friend. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2020 at 17:38, gwrrob said:

Now before anyone says I've lost leave of my senses, here's an interesting photo taken at Swindon in 1953. Very useful for modellers who wish to buy the newly announced Bachmann/Rails/ Locomotion V2 and give it a Western touch.

Gresley V2 class 2-6-2 no. 60845 paired with a Collett tender at Swindon on 23/3/53. 60845 was loaned to the western Region for comparative trials twice in 1952. This shot was taken near the end of the second loan period as she was returned to her home shed of New England on 5/4/53. [Mike Morant collection]

From its surroundings, it looks like Swindon has done an excellent job at capturing the loco with a view to its imminent destruction. A replacement WR loco had probably already been sent.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Not a chance old fruit.

Any chance of you running the sprout train this year chum as I know how fond you are of the popular brassica.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Merry christmas to you also Rob. They can throw anything at us, but as long as the trains are running on ANTB we'll be OK!

1947910437_CopyofKeepCalmAndCarryOn600x1200-Max-Quality.jpg.3d2aa3afebc89824ad943ef091ede2d3.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

Just a note to wish you and your many followers a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Thank you for hosting the best informed GWR site and continueing to provide me with all manner of new ideas/products......I would be lost without you!:D

Best wishes from Vanvouver

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Asking for a friend obviously but are those delightful looking Bachmann Bulleid coaches of any use West of Exeter on route familiarisation turns.;)

3/4 coach sets worked via Okehampton usually Robin on Waterlo-Exeter-Plymouth Friary turns. Locomotive “familiarisation “via S.Devon  turns were IIRC with GW/WR stock with a Bulleid WC/BB or other. Unless of course on diversion if the SR line was out of action.There.....I’ve spoiled Christmas :wub:   Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

3/4 coach sets worked via Okehampton usually Robin on Waterlo-Exeter-Plymouth Friary turns. Locomotive “familiarisation “via S.Devon  turns were IIRC with GW/WR stock with a Bulleid WC/BB or other. Unless of course on diversion if the SR line was out of action.There.....I’ve spoiled Christmas :wub:   Sorry.

The inevitable 'out of action' took place when the SR line was blocked by Snow in1947 and the SR ran several Trains direct to and from Friary, up/down past Laira on the Speedway and thus to St. David's with some SR Crews on and N, using them for the familiarisation turns. Loco change there.  However, the Brightons and Portsmouths (both 6/9 coach Trains at that time, including a Maunsell Restaurant Car), were double headed with a WR Locomotive acting as Pilot; usually a Hall or Grange as far as/from Newton Abbot. SR Crew on the SR Loco, a booked Spam

Same happened in 1957 coincidentally, however WR locomotives were used to from Friary to/from St. David's with WR crews; loco quite often a 43XX as per familiarisation turns, but the heavy Brighton and Porstmouths had Bulleid Pacifics with a WR Pilot as far as/from Newton Abbot, often a large Prairie (see below). 

You would need some Bulleids (say 3/4?) of a suitable SR livery for the 1947 locals but could be mixed Maunsells and Bulleids.  The  Brightons and Portsmouths would be Maunsells and some new Bulleids. You could get away with six coach trains for that, SR Loco with WR Pilot man on board.

1957 would be the same for locals, but the Bulleids/Maunsells could be Blood and Custard or Malachite Green. The Brighton and Portsmouth in '57 would be 5 new Mk1s (6 SR set) in B & C, including a Maunsell/Bulleid Dining Vehicle + *3 Bulleids if required (Winter TT = fewer coaches, *unless the Portsmouth  train was booked for loads of Matelots).  However, getting a MK 1 SR Set (5 coaches) is a costly extra so maybe just use the acquired Bulleids and Maunsells together to make up those Trains? Nobody will know when you run and phot them that they are the same as those that you used for some 'locals'. 

Of course, the SR might just have asked the WR to carry their passengers to/from North Road on WR Services to/from St David's. That would spoil the fun though.

I have details of coach sets etc. as would Spams.

All the best for Christmas y'all. Take care and bless you all.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

the SR ran several Trains direct to and from Friary, up/down past Laira on the Speedway and thus to St. David's

You learns sumfink every day.:blush:  Never knew that, my era too! 

Thanks Phil, Happy Christmas

Brian. 

An unbelievable distance from the Speedway!:o   Any idea why it was called thus?  I do remember an improvised cycle oval where kids pedalled their bikes close by!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Adding my best wishes at this time to you,Robin,for shining a light during some dark days for me and for us all. The warmth,companionship and participation in the enjoyment you and ANTB bring communicate across the miles,giving us a chuckle and admiration for the artistry you post online for us all.   Happy Christmas and a hope for better times ahead.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

and a hope for better times ahead.

Indeed, perhaps a time when we had sepia prints and horsehair filled seating in coaches. Happy Christmas.:drink_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4