A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

As luck would have it , Norman Lockhart captured a similar view. One of his favourite views of Brent.

Rob.

post-14122-0-01692600-1463143694.jpg

• Like 10

Whilst in my "local" model shop yesterday I ended up in conversation with a railway modeller ( in the loosest terms ) who mentioned that the only models he liked were steam ones with a chimney and not the blue boxy type things that you see now.

He pointed to various locos on display and I kindly gave him a brief description of each one and their original use "back in the day" so to speak.

He then pointed to the Bachmann Pannier and asked me, quote : " do you have to pay extra for the tender to go with that ?"

Please don't get me wrong, but I had to hide my laughter. I did eventually give him the correct answer so as not to discourage him and in fact he told me he thought it would look better with one behind it !

( for any doubters it is totally true )

I tried !

So...... On the train back home I did think about your next picture challenge humph !!!!

G

• RMweb Premium

He then pointed to the Bachmann Pannier and asked me, quote : " do you have to pay extra for the tender to go with that ?"

To which the correct answer would be:

" **** that mate, there ain't nothing you can chuck behind that pile of **** to make it any use to anybody - ******* wrong shade of green for a start you ******  !"

whoops, sorry wrong topic....

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

I hope the Finchings aren't feeling litigious at the moment..

attachicon.gifbachle.jpg

I can see them having trouble negotiating that Freiburg-like bachle (stream) to board the branch train.....

I'll get Norman to take a shot to validate any claim against the GWR.Where there's a claim they'll be someone to blame.

post-126-0-71887700-1463149019.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

As luck would have it , Norman Lockhart captured a similar view. One of his favourite views of Brent.

Rob.

Young Spams will enjoy that shot with his beloved SR PLV in the background.

• RMweb Premium

I'll get Norman to take a shot to validate any claim against the GWR.Where there's a claim they'll be someone to blame.

attachicon.gifDSCN8248.jpg

Is that fatal dandruff (yes, I know it is Normoan Lockhard) or has he been standing there for so long that the pigirons have used him for target practce?

P

• RMweb Premium

To which the correct answer would be:

" **** that mate, there ain't nothing you can chuck behind that pile of **** to make it any use to anybody - ******* wrong shade of green for a start you ******  !"

whoops, sorry wrong topic....

Oi, that is a very genteel topic place thingy.

P

• RMweb Premium

Oi, that is a very genteel topic place thingy.

I know, trouble is if you did offend anybody over there (if thats possible with us southern boys) Graham Mus would only put his slippers on to kick you to death (so it didn't hurt so much) :)

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSCN8248.jpg

Poor chap, it looks likes he's fallen over and torn his trousers above the right knee - is that a bit of blood showing too? Running to get the photo and tripped? That might be a reason to claim - is the platform uneven? Ah no, the GWR's safe as we're not in the 2000s here...

• RMweb Premium

Whilst in my "local" model shop yesterday I ended up in conversation with a railway modeller ( in the loosest terms ) who mentioned that the only models he liked were steam ones with a chimney and not the blue boxy type things that you see now.

He pointed to various locos on display and I kindly gave him a brief description of each one and their original use "back in the day" so to speak.

Please don't get me wrong, but I had to hide my laughter. I did eventually give him the correct answer so as not to discourage him and in fact he told me he thought it would look better with one behind it !

( for any doubters it is totally true )

I tried !

So...... On the train back home I did think about your next picture challenge humph !!!!

G

Sadly I've overhead many similar conversations in model shops and shows. There's so little understanding of the prototype nor any urge to learn for so many these days.

• RMweb Gold

Norman would like to offer a monochrome image taken today at Brent.

Kindest regards

Norman Lockhart. Esq.

post-14122-0-88899400-1463164935.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Just to confirm my findings that Kingsbridge No.1 was in chocolate and cream livery and No.2 was in all over wartime brown in 1946.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice photos, Norman, but isn't another trip to Gieves & Hawkes a bit overdue?

Bath, Winchester or Savile Row?

(other branches are available but in ghastly locations).

• RMweb Premium

Just "Gieves" in those days  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Norman shops exclusively at Dunn and Co.