"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

I hope Allan’s son Shane doesn’t mind me announcing on here that Allan very sadly passed away in the early hours of this morning after a battle with cancer.

In typical fashion I know the reason for all the many recent posts Allan uploaded on this thread was solely to pass as much information and inspiration on to all his fellow modellers before the inevitable happened. So lets try and keep this thread going in his memory?

A real maestro of master model craftsman since the early ‘70’s Allan was up there with the very best of them..there’s still some of us who remember his ‘Downesplans’ published by Peco way back.

On top of that he was an all round great guy with a fantastic sense of humour and an inspiration to all of us. His willingness to guide me and try and pass on his skills I’ll never forget.

I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say he’ll always be remembered with affection and our thoughts are with Sylvia his wife and his family.

Rest in peace old mate.

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That is so sad, the world of model buildings has lost one of if not the all time great.

I did wonder when Allan was posting a lot of photographs if he wasn't well

Thoughts to all his family at this extremely sad time, rest in peace Allan

• Friendly/supportive 1

That is very sad news - that you for letting us know. Allan has been part of my modelling since the 1970s - I have his Downes Plans books and still have some models I built from these. I even have some ‘Downes Glaze’ that I have never used.

RIP Allan

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thats a total bummer. Waiting for the Railway Modeller to arrive down here each month so I could read Allans latest article is one of my treasured memories of growing up in the '70's... 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A sad loss indeed, Allan gave me lots of encouragement in my work and always said he would visit one day, sadly that will never be, a great loss to us all.

RIP Allan and thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news. I didn't know Allan but his buildings and humour on this thread always inspired and lifted the spirits.

My condolences to Allan's family. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

.. Allan - did you ever make anything that went badly wrong?

Other than the windmill that wound up looking like "a cross between a Dalek and a helicopter", or the time he attempted to bake a Pyruma-coated building in the oven. The building caught fire, so he tried smothering the fire with a teatowel (which also caught fire!) and ended up dumping both the building and teatowel in the dustbin, which caught fire as well!

Allan's unique blend of exquisite model making and hilarious storytelling will be greatly missed.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that Allan inspired many of us - me included - a massive loss to the world of model railways.

I hope that in due course someone will pick up the suggestion made here quite recently and produce an illustrated book of "The Buildings of Allan Downes" - I'd buy it immediately.

RIP Allan.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I hope Allan’s son Shane doesn’t mind me announcing on here that Allan very sadly passed away in the early hours of this morning after a battle with cancer.

I'm sorry I missed this yesterday.

Allan was certainly a character and my condolences to Shane, the family and Allan's friends.

An astonishingly prolific and talented modeller, not a bad musician by all accounts too. He certainly entertained many modellers with his contributions here and in the magazines and left his mark on the hobby.

• Friendly/supportive 1

As a young modeller back in the 70's, Pipers Mead became my inspiration.

Looked forward every month to Allan's articles, and still have them now well over 40 years later.

Luckily I was able to meet the great man at one of the Cardiff Shows in Sophia Gardens and had a great weekend exhibiting with the Cardiff 4 mm group and drinking beer.

Through the Internet and this site, I was able to communicate frequently with Allan, and although we haven't met since Cardiff, I regarded him as a sort of cyber buddy.

I know how ill he has been and despite that he has continued to try and inspire us all to the end.

The great man is at peace now, and I hope his family find comfort in that fact and how he has touched so many lives.

To this then 10 year old......Rest In Peace.....Legend!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It sounds like we've lost a significant contributor to our hobby. I never knew Allan although I had seen his posts here. I have no doubt that in the future, if I actually get to build a model railway, that I'll be referencing articles and posts by him on model buildings and their construction.

R.I.P., and condolences to all who knew him.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely post Chris.

He never finished bits that you wouldn't easily see. Tintagel PO, for instance, has no slates on the back part of its roof. 

He'll have got inside the pearly gates only to find there's no bricks on the inside of the wall. Having photographed several buildings Allan had modelled I'm sure he did it to confound snappers who want to stick cameras where the viewer can't normally get to.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An astonishingly prolific and talented modeller, not a bad musician by all accounts too. He certainly entertained many modellers with his contributions here and in the magazines and left his mark on the hobby.

An absolute 'great' in our hobby and perhaps when the time is right RMweb can have some sort of tribute to the very talented modeller.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1