The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

How's this for a coincidence - a mate of mine alerted me to this ad for a '69 Mk2 Cooper with a reg' number just nine numbers away from my Mk2 S, what are the odds of it surviving and coming up for sale I wonder...?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1138173

It's the same colour as mine was originally and was most likely sold from the same Stewart & Ardern dealership in North London! Mine was built in October '68 but registered in April '69, this one was registered in July '69. It needs a little work and there are a few Cooper bits missing but it's very tempting.... if I go to see it, it would mean at least a 600 mile round trip!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a bargain on the face of it, a little (ha ha) work required but basically a straight and honest ‘S’.........if it were shiney and all as brochure it’s going to be worth twice that.

• Like 2

Just a passing extra, I nearly spilled my Ovaltine when I spotted it! I'm wondering if the 'strap' is a leather bonnet / grille strap that's come undone, there were several different types available from the accessory firms in those days. The rosepetal alloys would have been quite expensive at the time too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 17:01, Rugd1022 said:

How's this for a coincidence - a mate of mine alerted me to this ad for a '69 Mk2 Cooper with a reg' number just nine numbers away from my Mk2 S, what are the odds of it surviving and coming up for sale I wonder...?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1138173

It's the same colour as mine was originally and was most likely sold from the same Stewart & Ardern dealership in North London! Mine was built in October '68 but registered in April '69, this one was registered in July '69. It needs a little work and there are a few Cooper bits missing but it's very tempting.... if I go to see it, it would mean at least a 600 mile round trip!

A mate of mine has an E Type, a few years ago he was approached by a guy at a car show who has the consecutive reg car! Marty's is the blue one.

1605271981_martysE.jpg.7ee3c8904be7d8bc175bf736222a0783.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

A mate of mine has an E Type, a few years ago he was approached by a guy at a car show who has the consecutive reg car! Marty's is the blue one.

1605271981_martysE.jpg.7ee3c8904be7d8bc175bf736222a0783.jpg

Many years ago, Motor Sport mag had a pic of two MGBs parked next to each other. One had a JAM plate, the other PUD. The clever caption asked “With custard?”

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

Downgrading the cars somewhat but at the Pride of Longbridge a couple of years ago we came across another Metro with next digit numbers and supplied by the same dealer as my daughter's. Ours is red and the other white. Small world!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine has had, for many years now, an Alfa Romeo with the reg plate 69 GTV, 69 being the build year. Some years later, he was filling up at his local service station, not I think in the Alfa, and a guy pulled onto the forecourt in a very tatty Cavalier, B69 GTV. My friend managed to buy it on the spot as the owner was not expecting the Vauxhall to get through the next MoT. In the event, it did pass and my friend effectively got a free cherished plate to put on a second 1969 GTV.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

And some weird strap across the grill, was it actually in the plot or just a passing “extra” ?

Could it be some kind of bonnet lock? Looks to be sitting over where the lever protrudes form the grille. The "strap" part could just be its shadow.

Edited by Steve K
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 16/08/2019 at 16:45, Joseph_Pestell said:

A friend of mine has had, for many years now, an Alfa Romeo with the reg plate 69 GTV, 69 being the build year. Some years later, he was filling up at his local service station, not I think in the Alfa, and a guy pulled onto the forecourt in a very tatty Cavalier, B69 GTV. My friend managed to buy it on the spot as the owner was not expecting the Vauxhall to get through the next MoT. In the event, it did pass and my friend effectively got a free cherished plate to put on a second 1969 GTV.

He’ll struggle to put it on a ‘69 registered car. DVLA rules don’t allow you to put a plate on which would make the car appear younger than it actually is. A ‘B’ plate would only pass on a 1984 or younger car.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Camberley Car Show today - a free event (donation buckets are positioned around the cars for charities) which takes over the two main streets and has really grown over the years.  There must have been about 100 vehicles; quite a few "new" vehicles rather than older classics.  Here's some pics of vehicles appropriate for the thread title (this could take a while with the 10Mb limit):

IMG_3774.JPG.661b3f709888a574db18d60e53cf5e8f.JPG

Two Coopers as were being discussed here the other day.  The one on the left has 275000 on the clock.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Back end of a unique Gilbern prototype (couldn't get a shot of the front end); it was to be the next model planned before the company folded and uses a Maxi engine and gearbox, rear-mounted.  The current owner has (almost) finished it off.

IMG_3735.JPG.5dfb2a7e01df45753eff1d93580b4923.JPG

• Like 8

I'm at a market today and what should I find tucked away at the edge of the stallholder parking area but this interesting automotive relic. Dunno what it is, but as RMWeb, collectively, knows everything about everything, I wouldn't be surprised if someone identifies it. 

The comprehensive pressed metal undertray is a distinctive structural feature that I don't recognise. I can see forward mounts for semi-elliptic springs on the front. The rear looks as if it may have had quarter elliptic as there are heavy duty brackets at the corners reminiscent of (but much beefier than) an Austin 7. There's what appears to be a brake cross-shaft still in situ. 

As this is country WA it's pretty much a toss up between British and American. I'm leaning towards British as I'm comfortable it's not a Ford, and I don't think it's a Chevy, which would be the two main USA candidates. As for date, I'm guessing 1920s.

Edit: I had another look when I picked up the van at the end of the market. It looks as if the brake cross-shaft brackets incorporate mounts for the ends of leaf springs. I still think the bracketry at the rear ends of the chassis rails supported the springs as well. Rather than the quarter-elliptics I originally suspected, it looks as if whatever it was had cantilevered semi-elliptics at the back. 

IMG_20190818_082948.jpg

IMG_20190818_082741.jpg

Edited by PatB
  • Like 5

Something very early? The undertray could be some protection for an exposed mechanism, possibly a steam engine. Stanley is the name that springs most readily to mind, but an internet search turns up plenty of manufacturers(?), mostly in the USA. Unfortunately there are few details of most of them.

Of course, this could be totally wrong and it could also be part of a piece of agricultural or industrial machinery. Some idea of size/scale might help.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Edited for poor spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

The fact that it's on its back probably doesn't help :D. I'm certain it's a former road vehicle. I'm not much good at size estimation, but I'd say it was a fairly large car or possibly a light truck. The chassis rails are maybe 3' apart or so. Something that hadn't occurred to me, but now strikes me as unusual, is that the rails are an inverted top-hat section, rather than the inward facing C which seems more common on vintage chassis. They're quite deep in proportion to their width, maybe a 2:1 ratio.

I'm inclined to think it's internal combustion engined, chiefly on the grounds that the front end of the undertray has a hole in it, pretty much where I'd expect a starting handle shaft to protrude. 

In spite of its antiquity and half buried state I'd say it was probably restorable. No bends or kinks, and only one visible patch of serious structural rust. Funny what you find. I've been parking in that yard for 3 years and never noticed it before. Got a slightly different spot today and caught sight of this being a collapsing shed. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

8 hours ago, PatB said:

I'm at a market today and what should I find tucked away at the edge of the stallholder parking area but this interesting automotive relic. Dunno what it is, but as RMWeb, collectively, knows everything about everything, I wouldn't be surprised if someone identifies it. 

The comprehensive pressed metal undertray is a distinctive structural feature that I don't recognise. I can see forward mounts for semi-elliptic springs on the front. The rear looks as if it may have had quarter elliptic as there are heavy duty brackets at the corners reminiscent of (but much beefier than) an Austin 7. There's what appears to be a brake cross-shaft still in situ. 

As this is country WA it's pretty much a toss up between British and American. I'm leaning towards British as I'm comfortable it's not a Ford, and I don't think it's a Chevy, which would be the two main USA candidates. As for date, I'm guessing 1920s.

Edit: I had another look when I picked up the van at the end of the market. It looks as if the brake cross-shaft brackets incorporate mounts for the ends of leaf springs. I still think the bracketry at the rear ends of the chassis rails supported the springs as well. Rather than the quarter-elliptics I originally suspected, it looks as if whatever it was had cantilevered semi-elliptics at the back. 

IMG_20190818_082948.jpg

IMG_20190818_082741.jpg

It appears to be the sump from a farm tractor. From the 1930's 'frameless' tractors were produced whereby the sump replaced the chassis as the main load bearing structure, things such as axles would be directly attached. The one in the picture is possibly from a skid unit, an engine with the radiator, ancillarys and sometimes a transmission attached. A skid unit would be used to power dump trucks and excavators and agricultural machinery. They were also used on cement mixer lorries, that is what looks like part of a Ford Major tractor mounted on such lorries. This is possibly one such unit with a few bits added to suit it for its role.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 5

Yet another car show. This one was in Sutton-on-Derwent. 

Healey 3000 rep V-8 powered I think and one for the Mini fans.

Have more but won't let me add them

steve

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Edited by steve1
Apology
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Yet another car show. This one was in Sutton-on-Derwent. 

Healey 3000 rep V-8 powered I think and one for the Mini fans.

Have more but won't let me add them

steve

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Would be nice if it turned out to be a 1071?

• Like 1