Dave Jones leaving Dapol in August

oreamnos

Dave's comment re acting as a consultant to Dapol, and a forthcoming announcement at TINGS suggests to me that he may well be branching out on his own, or maybe in company with another like minded individual, and probably in something N gauge related.

Whatever the eventual outcome no doubt we modellers will still benefit!

Dave's comment re acting as a consultant to Dapol, and a forthcoming announcement at TINGS suggests to me that he may well be branching out on his own, or maybe in company with another like minded individual, and probably in something N gauge related.

Whatever the eventual outcome no doubt we modellers will still benefit!

Indeed, it sounds somewhat likely, I think!

My first thought was that Hornby had already decided the Brighton Belle in N experiment had been successful! Would have also fitted with the new leadership at Hornby, but apparently not ...

Another thought is that Lemke have created a successful niche as a German\European partner, specifying and commissioning KATO models. A similar solution to Dapol's apparent business model commissioning design and manufacture from China, but with a proven high quality partner. Perhaps KATO might be open to working with someone like Dave to create a UK range? 

My personal view is, that it will take a great deal of personal and professional standing to maintain the level of Customer Service I have experienced from Dave Jones.

I am one of the N converts in light of the advances made by Dapol and now Farish, otherwise I wouldnt have moved from OO.

Of the few problems I have had they were sorted swiftly with Dave's personal intervention.

Hope to see you at the hand of future developments in some form or other

Thanks Dave, and Good Luck

• RMweb Premium

I think the most telling legacy of DD's work at Dapol has been to highlight how it is so important to connect with the potential customers. In this day and age that's arguably got to take into account that the internet is a vibrant place for consumers to pick out errors and for those errors to then be publicised widely.

DD took on the new media of forums and interaction and made it work for Dapol. Take note, H, H and B.

• RMweb Gold

Posting the CAD's as work in progress has been a superb way of Dapol getting feedback on details that may be wrong. Even if it wasn't wrong it at least drew attention to an area to be checked and altered if need be before it s too late.

it would be good for others to do similar as it may well avoid some noticeable errors (to modellers in the know) in the finished product and thus reduce the potential for reviewers to point these out to the rest of us.

Ian

Lindsay O'Reilly, Phil Badger and Chris Klein, the founders, owners and directors of Ixion Model Railways, wish Dave the very best for the future. It was Dave and the then managing director Dapol, George Smith, who In 2007 were instrumental in helping Ixion launch itself into the realm of mass-produced ready-to-run model railways. We developed a close working relationship and friendship with Dave and George as we developed Ixion's maiden product, the N gauge GWR Manor locomotive. Under their leadership

, Dapol was, I believe, instrumental in taking British N gauge from its awful and complacent days of flanged steam-rollers to its state today where very realistic models are being produced.

Dave is also to be congratulated for getting the Western Class 52 to market. At last and after many failed atempts by other manufacturers, we have an 00 model worthy of the name. I have a brace of them along with a pair of Class 22s that provide a welcome reminder of my early train-spotting days in the 1970s.

Once again Dave, best wishes for the future and we will watch closely to see where the periscope resurfaces.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

All I can say is thank goodness. Bringing out items that actually fit with my idea of Hemerdon Bank in the late 60's (class 22, Hymeks, 6 wheel milk wagons plus that HST from another era) has been no help and now my wallet can finally go in to rehab for a while.

Good luck and best wishes with what ever tomorrow brings you. Might see if I can get to TINGS this year just to be nosey. (At Vale of Oxbury of course)

One thought before you leave Dapol, is there any chance of getting the Schools and Maunsells boosted up the pipeline. I recall George mentioning Maunsells at the NGS AGM the year that Dapol moved into N gauge, that must be at least 8 years ago.

PS   Why no Maunsell green Schools? It lasted a lot longer than Malachite which was only applied between 1938 and about 1940/41 when wartime black took over, after the war it was only applied for a couple of years before nationalisation. I went to school in Poole alongside the line until 1949, very few Malachite locos got past Bournemouth, most Nelsons and Arthurs on Weymouth trains were either Olive or black.

''So long Dave and thanks for all the Maybachs...!"

Best of luck with wherever your future career takes you, it's been an absolute pleasure dealing with you and getting stuck into your contributions on RMWeb. I think it's safe to say that during your time with Dapol you've upped the game considerably, you'll be leaving behind some wonderful models and ideas which have brought the hobby forward in a relatively short space of time. Considering just how much you've had on your plate it's astonishing what you've acheived really!

Hope you keep popping in here from time to time ;)

Toodle ooh!

Also big thanks to Dave for all his hard work at Dapol and communication with customers. Listening and responding to feedback on prototype models (in my case the BWT) was both appreciated and resulted in an improved product. He has set industry-leading standards in customer interface in product development.

Dave please in your handover notes, ensure that communication on here (prototype CAD drawings etc) continues! All the best for the future.

Dave going, say it isn't so..... You dragged UK N up to more than 1/2 decent standard, and it was getting better!

Best of luck for you new ventures.   Hope its not another crosby stills nash and young affair,  ie ATM&J

• RMweb Premium

Let's not forget the Dave / Dapol emerging impact on encouraging newbies like me in the 7mm market. The announcement of the Beattie Well Tank in 7mm (working with Kernow) was instrumental in me taking on my current new project. From purely a selfish point of view I do hope that the 7mm BWT and 08 projects continue...

All the best Dave in your new ventures and many thanks for the BWT and 22 in 00.

• RMweb Gold

I've bought a few Dapol models but as they are still in their boxes (I'm a secret collector really) I don't know how good they are !

Like many others have said, I admire the way you've put your head above the parapet, you are happy to take the blows along with the good times - that's a good attribute that, perhaps, other manufacturers could take your lead from.  I've seen some of the rubbish you've had to endure (not particularly on here I hasten to add, but from predictable characters) and you've endured it well.

Your departure leaves a big hole, but with all the self-appointed experts we see around the forums there won't be any problem for Dapol to fill the vacancy - they must be clamouring to get your position so they can demonstrate how easy it really is to get everything 100% perfect - and for only £50 per loco too.*

I wish you well in your future path, be it railway related or not - Good luck !

* including sound

Truly dissapointing to hear this, but I do wish Dave all the best.

I think it is safe to say that Dave's interaction with the community via RMWeb was truly stellar, and many other manufacturers/retailers could learn a thing or two from Dave on how to successfully interact with your customers!

So thank you Dave, for your hard work over the last 7 years, I hope you are truly proud of how much Dapol, and British N Gauge in general has improved under your watchful eye!

In this part of the world we have lots of David David, David Davis etc and one of the nicknames you hear is "Dave-Squared". So that isn't a problem 8)

Daved used to be Nthusiast Resprays/NSprays and still is on at least one list. Will Nsprays return ;-)

Alan

Lindsay O'Reilly, Phil Badger and Chris Klein, the founders, owners and directors of Ixion Model Railways, wish Dave the very best for the future. It was Dave and the then managing director Dapol, George Smith, who In 2007 were instrumental in helping Ixion launch itself into the realm of mass-produced ready-to-run model railways. We developed a close working relationship and friendship with Dave and George as we developed Ixion's maiden product, the N gauge GWR Manor locomotive. Under their leadership

, Dapol was, I believe, instrumental in taking British N gauge from its awful and complacent days of flanged steam-rollers to its state today where very realistic models are being produced.

Dave is also to be congratulated for getting the Western Class 52 to market. At last and after many failed atempts by other manufacturers, we have an 00 model worthy of the name. I have a brace of them along with a pair of Class 22s that provide a welcome reminder of my early train-spotting days in the 1970s.

Once again Dave, best wishes for the future and we will watch closely to see where the periscope resurfaces.

Regards,

Chris

That's puts my theory out of the window then.

I put two (Ixions relationship with Dapol) and two (Daves possible announcement at Tings) together and thought Ixion had decided to bite the bullet and enter into the UK market in a large way

looks like my sums add up to 5!

Whatever the future brings Dave I wish you every success.

That's puts my theory out of the window then.

I put two (Ixions relationship with Dapol) and two (Daves possible announcement at Tings) together and thought Ixion had decided to bite the bullet and enter into the UK market in a large way

looks like my sums add up to 5!

Whatever the future brings Dave I wish you every success.[/quote

Sorry to disappoint. Ixion will not be entering the 00 market or returning to N gauge. We will stick to 0 gauge.

Hi, there's no replacement in the wings that I know of as Dapol decided to announce my leaving without my knowledge today and advertise for a new guy.

It's a tough job let me tell you,

I'd say whoever applies must have experience of dealing with the Chinese and their ways, must have a nouse for the market place, know models worldwide and mechanisms, know about possible innovations and be able to develop new ones, know cad designs and how to produce them, have a knowledge of the industry, be willing to do as I have and Interact with modellers on forums and take on board comments and criticisms, take it on the chin if you c*ck up and be quick to sort it out, have a thick skin and pots more.

I wish he or she best wishes in the job, as it isn't for the faint of heart.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

A friend left a voicemail telling me of the news - which was a bit of a shock.

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving Dapol and wish you well for the future, I hope that Dapol will take up your offer of the 2 day consultancy.

Your job, at Dapol, cant have been an easy one, trying to please so many masters, which is a very challenging balancing act.

I think though that your interaction with RMW members here has been a uselful - two way - communications channel for all concerned, the highs and the lows.

Dapol's improvements to it's current ranges do you great credit - I hope that Dapol will carry the quality of the Cl22 and Western et al. over into the proposed 7mm scale models.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

CME.

Nooooooooooo Dave - Withdraw your resignation, Pleeeeeeeeeeease.

Dapol - give the man a raise - he's worth every penny.

Truly disappointing news. I also was converting from OO to N mainly because of Dapol. Cromptons and West Country's eagerly awaited. Hopefully there won't be any lowering in standard from Dapol when Dave goes.

Steve

Archived